Eric's Red Sea Reefer 525XL Build

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really clean and organized! I love seeing how everyone does their setups differently with the various types of gear. Looks like those Vortech drives and the Apex fit perfectly there... it's nice to get lucky with stuff like that!

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really clean and organized! I love seeing how everyone does their setups differently with the various types of gear. Looks like those Vortech drives and the Apex fit perfectly there... it's nice to get lucky with stuff like that!
Something's out this build tells me he's not getting "lucky" lol. Lots of solid planning!

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Toby! and yes they fit like a glove, only a few centimeters to spare :) That would have definitely not worked with classic brain unit.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something's out this build tells me he's not getting "lucky" lol. Lots of solid planning!

Yes I like to plan everything out before I actually get to work on it.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 4.30.44 PM.png

The image above shows a cross-section of the frame I built to mount all this stuff on. However I did get lucky with the drivers and apex because originally I was not going to mount the Apex brain there but when I saw I had just enough room I changed my mind and moved it.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I love ur tank man just something about it really enjoy I think is the rockscape and the lighting just really enjoy looking at ur photos

You asked about needing the fmm.

So I will give u the rundown after having it for well over a month or two and not try to sell u it like u need it but more of tell u what I have done with it and let u make the choice if you need it or not.

Back in I wanna say the late 90's there was this doll u prolly heard of it the tickle me Elmo doll. "Hahaha that tickles" it used to say. Well it came out right before Christmas and everyone had to have it. It was sold out everywhere because they didn't make enough for the demand. People then were buying them on eBay for crazy amounts of money. Everyone just wanted that Elmo doll. The thing is that doll only said four or five things and after six months it then just became a toy that sat in the closet. Sure some people still play with the doll but for the most part after you learned what it could do the fun and thrill were gone and it has been forgotten about.

That's the fmm. If you do not care about what ur actual flow is there is no need for it. Me I have two return pumps so I got it as I wanted to match the gph on both returns. As I was told that's why my ghost overflow was so loud. Once I did that well the tile just sits in my fusion app. I have a reeflink so it will send me a notification if the pump isn't running efficiently or using more power then it should so I don't really need to get an alert that my gallons an hour dropped by 50-100. I do have it set up to send me an alert if the gph is under 100 and also shut down the power to my return pump when it is under 50gph. But other then that kinda useless. O wait I also know each percent you jump up on a vectra m1 is roughly 10 gallons an hour so at 80 percent let's just say it's 500 gph at 81 percent it's 510 gph.
But then u might say well how about for reactors. Well once you have it set up for ur gph u want its useless as well. I switch my carbon and Gfo every 30 days I have yet to see it jump any higher in gph from the first day till the day I switch it out which was a selling point I beleive. I can only say that to be true with gfo tho as for some reason my carbon sensor does not work.
IMG_2436.PNG
I filled out a ticket and never heard anything bAck. I prolly did it wrong as I think it's silly I can't just call Neptune and talk to a human. No I have to email back and forth set up a meeting thru the computer and blah blah blah. Just not how I like to do business but I can live without knowing what my carbon is. Or for that matter gfo and both returns.

So if I were to do it all over again I would wait till the fmm is on sale i.e. Black Friday. And pick it up then. It is neat to see that data and to understand a little more about your tank but not really a necessity and more of a pick it up on sale kind of thing. Unless u are running a calcium reactor or zeovit reactor then I think that would be a good thing to use it for.

I just picked up the atk as well. I think that is worth it and it also leaves two ports open for flow sensors or water sensors. so if you just wanted to see ur return pump flow I would do the atk and a 1 inch flow sensor.

So I'm a tech geek and after the initial rush of finally getting the fmk !!! setting it up and seeing the same thing everyday if I were to do it all over again I would pick it up on sale.

Just my feelings on it hope they help u make a decision. Also u should prolly know I had a tickle me Elmo and it's still in my closet.

Keep up the great work I really do enjoy ur tank

Justin

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I love ur tank man just something about it really enjoy I think is the rockscape and the lighting just really enjoy looking at ur photos

You asked about needing the fmm.

So I will give u the rundown after having it for well over a month or two and not try to sell u it like u need it but more of tell u what I have done with it and let u make the choice if you need it or not.

Back in I wanna say the late 90's there was this doll u prolly heard of it the tickle me Elmo doll. "Hahaha that tickles" it used to say. Well it came out right before Christmas and everyone had to have it. It was sold out everywhere because they didn't make enough for the demand. People then were buying them on eBay for crazy amounts of money. Everyone just wanted that Elmo doll. The thing is that doll only said four or five things and after six months it then just became a toy that sat in the closet. Sure some people still play with the doll but for the most part after you learned what it could do the fun and thrill were gone and it has been forgotten about.

That's the fmm. If you do not care about what ur actual flow is there is no need for it. Me I have two return pumps so I got it as I wanted to match the gph on both returns. As I was told that's why my ghost overflow was so loud. Once I did that well the tile just sits in my fusion app. I have a reeflink so it will send me a notification if the pump isn't running efficiently or using more power then it should so I don't really need to get an alert that my gallons an hour dropped by 50-100. I do have it set up to send me an alert if the gph is under 100 and also shut down the power to my return pump when it is under 50gph. But other then that kinda useless. O wait I also know each percent you jump up on a vectra m1 is roughly 10 gallons an hour so at 80 percent let's just say it's 500 gph at 81 percent it's 510 gph.
But then u might say well how about for reactors. Well once you have it set up for ur gph u want its useless as well. I switch my carbon and Gfo every 30 days I have yet to see it jump any higher in gph from the first day till the day I switch it out which was a selling point I beleive. I can only say that to be true with gfo tho as for some reason my carbon sensor does not work.
IMG_2436.PNG
I filled out a ticket and never heard anything bAck. I prolly did it wrong as I think it's silly I can't just call Neptune and talk to a human. No I have to email back and forth set up a meeting thru the computer and blah blah blah. Just not how I like to do business but I can live without knowing what my carbon is. Or for that matter gfo and both returns.

So if I were to do it all over again I would wait till the fmm is on sale i.e. Black Friday. And pick it up then. It is neat to see that data and to understand a little more about your tank but not really a necessity and more of a pick it up on sale kind of thing. Unless u are running a calcium reactor or zeovit reactor then I think that would be a good thing to use it for.

I just picked up the atk as well. I think that is worth it and it also leaves two ports open for flow sensors or water sensors. so if you just wanted to see ur return pump flow I would do the atk and a 1 inch flow sensor.

So I'm a tech geek and after the initial rush of finally getting the fmk !!! setting it up and seeing the same thing everyday if I were to do it all over again I would pick it up on sale.

Just my feelings on it hope they help u make a decision. Also u should prolly know I had a tickle me Elmo and it's still in my closet.

Keep up the great work I really do enjoy ur tank

Justin

Justin thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your input. The GHL controller had a flow meter that nice thing about it is what I was able to set a nominal value to it and it would keep my return pump at the flow rate I set it to. Im feeding some reactors off my return pump so whenever I adjust the flow on them the flow going to the tank changes and it would mess with my overflow. The flow meter would keep the flow constant and it automatically adjusted it so the flow meter was a great addition. That is one thing I will miss about the ProfiLux. Now the apex could probably do the same but it will be a bit more difficult. Maybe this is a feature that can be added in the future.

I think you are right about getting the ATK over the FMK and just getting one flow meter if I really want to know the flow.

Btw I was born in 1990 in Cuba so I don't have the pleasure of relating to your story about the Elmo doll but that is still the case today with a lot of new products. Perfect example is the mini nintendo classic that came out last year. I think it was like $60 0r $80 and it was selling on eBay for over $300 when every retailer ran out of stock.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your input. The GHL controller had a flow meter that nice thing about it is what I was able to set a nominal value to it and it would keep my return pump at the flow rate I set it to. Im feeding some reactors off my return pump so whenever I adjust the flow on them the flow going to the tank changes and it would mess with my overflow. The flow meter would keep the flow constant and it automatically adjusted it so the flow meter was a great addition. That is one thing I will miss about the ProfiLux. Now the apex could probably do the same but it will be a bit more difficult. Maybe this is a feature that can be added in the future.

I think you are right about getting the ATK over the FMK and just getting one flow meter if I really want to know the flow.

Btw I was born in 1990 in Cuba so I don't have the pleasure of relating to your story about the Elmo doll but that is still the case today with a lot of new products. Perfect example is the mini nintendo classic that came out last year. I think it was like $60 0r $80 and it was selling on eBay for over $300 when every retailer ran out of stock.
I think if the COR pump ever comes to life the fmm would be able to do that. Or maby with some of the 0-10v pumps out there this could work as well

As I have vectras there is no chance that will ever happen for me so it's just a tile.

I mean there are things u could do say u run a bean animal u could put a sensor on the emergency and get an email and shut down ur return pump if there is water going thru it. But that's a waste for me a 200 dollar sensor doing nothing 99 percent of the time. Bu for the most part the fmm is something u mess around with for a week then when someone comes over and ask u about it u first remember you have it and then tell them about it.

The atk I think is the way to go and if you enjoy the one flow meter u set up with it and want to see more grab the fmm on Black Friday.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Hopefully the corals finish adjusting to the lighting and start growing like weeds soon. :)

I too run an Apex with a GHL doser 2.1. Love the doser. Have no experience with the profilux, though I do prefer the GHL colour scheme. Haha. If I upgrade my Apex to the new one, I'd wanna paint it.

Apex programming is quite easy, I agree, especially when making outlets and switches and other conditions interact.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much on the update ! I love the light upgrade. Thank you for writing more on the difference between the Profilux P4 and the New Apex. I have been going through a internal battle on deciding which controller to go with on my new build. Thank you this gave me a lot of insight on the two controllers. So now making up my mind is a little harder. But I like the software comparison that you wrote in. Thank you again , the tank looks amazing [emoji6] keep up the awesome work!!

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if the COR pump ever comes to life the fmm would be able to do that. Or maby with some of the 0-10v pumps out there this could work as well

As I have vectras there is no chance that will ever happen for me so it's just a tile.

I mean there are things u could do say u run a bean animal u could put a sensor on the emergency and get an email and shut down ur return pump if there is water going thru it. But that's a waste for me a 200 dollar sensor doing nothing 99 percent of the time. Bu for the most part the fmm is something u mess around with for a week then when someone comes over and ask u about it u first remember you have it and then tell them about it.

The atk I think is the way to go and if you enjoy the one flow meter u set up with it and want to see more grab the fmm on Black Friday.

That should be a standard feature on the COR pump whenever it comes out. Im probably just going to get the ATK and later grab a flow sensor. I don't really need flow sensors on all my reactors.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Hopefully the corals finish adjusting to the lighting and start growing like weeds soon. :)

I too run an Apex with a GHL doser 2.1. Love the doser. Have no experience with the profilux, though I do prefer the GHL colour scheme. Haha. If I upgrade my Apex to the new one, I'd wanna paint it.

Apex programming is quite easy, I agree, especially when making outlets and switches and other conditions interact.

I do love the doser. Its very easy to set up, its very very accurate and the app its well designed. I prefer the old black, white and orange color scheme, don't really care much for the grey lol

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much on the update ! I love the light upgrade. Thank you for writing more on the difference between the Profilux P4 and the New Apex. I have been going through a internal battle on deciding which controller to go with on my new build. Thank you this gave me a lot of insight on the two controllers. So now making up my mind is a little harder. But I like the software comparison that you wrote in. Thank you again , the tank looks amazing [emoji6] keep up the awesome work!!

You're welcome! Both are great controllers and with like almost everything else some people will prefer the ProfiLux over the Apex and vice versa. I just tried to give my honest opinion on why I like Apex over the ProfiLux.

Good luck on your decision and let me know what you decided. #teamapex :)

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome! Both are great controllers and with like almost everything else some people will prefer the ProfiLux over the Apex and vice versa. I just tried to give my honest opinion on why I like Apex over the ProfiLux.

Good luck on your decision and let me know what you decided. #teamapex :)

Thank you again Reefer525XL , and I will let you know that I you again.!

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me chiming in here - the flow sensors do show you quite a bit of what is happening. It will just not be obvious when everything is running like it should. And, every configuration is different. For instance, before the ATK was set up on my tank I had some flakiness in my ATO (long story). However, I could tell when my ATO went south because the flow would go down in my tank. Why? Well, the sump level would decrease and that would increase the head pressure needed by the pump to maintain the same flow rate. I could tell to the about the 1/4" how much water my sump was low just by looking at the flow.

Also, my intake on my PMUP got clogged once (it drives my carbon reactor). I knew immediately. Something like this on a UV could really be a disaster.

And, adjusting the valves on manifolds can be a bit tricky so the flow metering is a big help there as well.

I get what is said about once you install it, it is kind of boring, but insurance is boring - until you need it.

Oh, and as far as adjusting the flow rate automatically by a feedback to the pump, this is possible and was demonstrated by Tenji at a conference recently for public aquarium personnel (RAW). The video is on our FB page I believe.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't mind me chiming in here - the flow sensors do show you quite a bit of what is happening. It will just not be obvious when everything is running like it should. And, every configuration is different. For instance, before the ATK was set up on my tank I had some flakiness in my ATO (long story). However, I could tell when my ATO went south because the flow would go down in my tank. Why? Well, the sump level would decrease and that would increase the head pressure needed by the pump to maintain the same flow rate. I could tell to the about the 1/4" how much water my sump was low just by looking at the flow.

Also, my intake on my PMUP got clogged once (it drives my carbon reactor). I knew immediately. Something like this on a UV could really be a disaster.

And, adjusting the valves on manifolds can be a bit tricky so the flow metering is a big help there as well.

I get what is said about once you install it, it is kind of boring, but insurance is boring - until you need it.

Oh, and as far as adjusting the flow rate automatically by a feedback to the pump, this is possible and was demonstrated by Tenji at a conference recently for public aquarium personnel (RAW). The video is on our FB page I believe.
Great points on how a FMK becomes useful practically...some of those are ways I wouldn't have thought of.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Terence thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your in depth respond to my question and like @mdbannister said you brought up some great points that I had not thought about. I need to find that video as Im interested in being able to automatically adjust the flow on my Royal Exclusiv return pump. I already have the RE to Apex module needed to control the pump just need to figure out how to have it change flow automatically.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new pictures from tonight. These are under the T5's and LED's. MH get too hot to take pictures under them haha

WWC Pantera Rosa

ASD Rainbow Mille

Jason Fox Sour Twist (was getting a bit too much light so it was moved down today)

CB Fireball

CB Maleficent

SC OP

Good old green cap :)

Sunny D's

TSA Blackbeards Treasure

UWW Starburst Monti plus Sunny D's & Rastas

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its only been a few weeks since I came back to Neptune and EXTREMELY happy I did.

In my previous post where I gave some reasons as to why I switched back, I mentioned that the P4 still had no way of sending text alerts or any other type of alert if I was away from the tank. Well this past weekend I took a short trip with the family up to Siesta Key in Sarasota which is only about 90 minutes from my house (thank god we didn't go too far). I normally check up on my tank once a day and also on my AC via the NEST app. Everything checked out fine Friday and Saturday (I normally check on the evening). Sunday we spent most of the day at the beach and headed back to the hotel around 5pm. I obviously didn't have my phone on me all this time so we got to the hotel, showered and ordered some food. After I finished my meal I grabbed my phone and I see two alerts from Fusion. One came in at 4:55pm and the second one at 5:48. It was 6:20 when I grabbed my phone. Long story short there had been a really bad storm back home and somehow the AC condenser tripped the breaker and my AC was not running. The tank had reach 83.4 Degrees. First alert was when it got to 82 which is what I have it set to notify me and second alert was almost an hour later. My tank does not get above 79.5 even with the MH on so I immediately knew something was wrong with the AC. I opened the nest app and the house temp is at 88 and the AC is running but only blowing hot/room temp air as the condenser is not running. I turned the A/C off, packed my stuff and headed back home.

When I got home I reset it the breaker and the temp inside the house started to come down. I had 10 shipping ice packs that I put inside a ziplock bag and floated that in the tank to help bring down the temp. All lights were off so I grabbed my royal blue flash light and inspected the corals. They all seemed fine and the fish were ok too. Corals still look fine today which the exception of my WD which is a bit greener but Im sure the color will come back. One of my tangs have a few white spots which he didn't have before I left. He is still eating so hopefully it doesn't get too bad.

As of now I think everything will make it as there are no signs of stress other than the WD turning a bit greener and the white spots on the tang. If it had not been for those two text Alerts I probably would have lost my entire tank as I was not planning on heading back till 8 or 9pm plus 90 minute drive time.

Moral of the story: Make sure you check your phone more often when you're away and make sure your controller can send you text alerts :)

I will also be lowering the alarm temp from 82 to 80.5 so that I have more time next time something like this happens.

Lastly, this arrived in the mail today. I couldn't be happier with my decision to come back to Neptune!!

IMG_3545.jpg

Thank you @Terence

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its only been a few weeks since I came back to Neptune and EXTREMELY happy I did.

In my previous post where I gave some reasons as to why I switched back, I mentioned that the P4 still had no way of sending text alerts or any other type of alert if I was away from the tank. Well this past weekend I took a short trip with the family up to Siesta Key in Sarasota which is only about 90 minutes from my house (thank god we didn't go too far). I normally check up on my tank once a day and also on my AC via the NEST app. Everything checked out fine Friday and Saturday (I normally check on the evening). Sunday we spent most of the day at the beach and headed back to the hotel around 5pm. I obviously didn't have my phone on me all this time so we got to the hotel, showered and ordered some food. After I finished my meal I grabbed my phone and I see two alerts from Fusion. One came in at 4:55pm and the second one at 5:48. It was 6:20 when I grabbed my phone. Long story short there had been a really bad storm back home and somehow the AC condenser tripped the breaker and my AC was not running. The tank had reach 83.4 Degrees. First alert was when it got to 82 which is what I have it set to notify me and second alert was almost an hour later. My tank does not get above 79.5 even with the MH on so I immediately knew something was wrong with the AC. I opened the nest app and the house temp is at 88 and the AC is running but only blowing hot/room temp air as the condenser is not running. I turned the A/C off, packed my stuff and headed back home.

When I got home I reset it the breaker and the temp inside the house started to come down. I had 10 shipping ice packs that I put inside a ziplock bag and floated that in the tank to help bring down the temp. All lights were off so I grabbed my royal blue flash light and inspected the corals. They all seemed fine and the fish were ok too. Corals still look fine today which the exception of my WD which is a bit greener but Im sure the color will come back. One of my tangs have a few white spots which he didn't have before I left. He is still eating so hopefully it doesn't get too bad.

As of now I think everything will make it as there are no signs of stress other than the WD turning a bit greener and the white spots on the tang. If it had not been for those two text Alerts I probably would have lost my entire tank as I was not planning on heading back till 8 or 9pm plus 90 minute drive time.

Moral of the story: Make sure you check your phone more often when you're away and make sure your controller can send you text alerts :)

I will also be lowering the alarm temp from 82 to 80.5 so that I have more time next time something like this happens.

Lastly, this arrived in the mail today. I couldn't be happier with my decision to come back to Neptune!!

IMG_3545.jpg

Thank you @Terence
How do u get a goodie bag like that?

And that's great I'm away right now for two weeks and am a little worried

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean build. How's the coverage with the new lights compared to the ATI hybrid.

Also, where did you hide your ato?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back