Eshopps Eclipse M or the new Prodigy M or L for my new 75g ?

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I talk about this on the Morning lounge but would like to get your opinion. I's getting a new 75g tank this weekend and I will use a Eshopps overflow box ( Been using one for two years). I know the Prodigy is new on the market now but the price is kind of high for the small difference with the Eclipse. I have the S model on my 40g that is rated up to 75g (600gph) but my idea was to get the Eclipse M rated for up to 100g. Now the Prodigy came out and looks nice and a little more slim but the price difference is pretty big, $109 for the Eclipse M versus $160 for the Prodigy M or the L for $180. I'm open for opinion or suggestions...

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask yourself "Is the value of a more quiet overflow that includes a lid, a redesigned rear chamber, as well as a pop of color that is rarely going to be seen worth the extra costs?" I personally would. The front fascia grill is removable, there is a lid for the inside box, the rear box is newly designed and probably does a better job at reducing salt creep around the lids. I currently have an eclipse and would've gone with the prodigy if it was released sooner. The costs of laboring these items yourself or trying to get them custom made is worth the extra 50ish.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I encourage you to pay more attention to the flow rate (e.g., 800, 1200, etc.) rating for the overflow box instead of the aquarium size rating. I installed a Eshopps Eclipse L on my 75g and I’m glad I did because of the flexibility with turn over. The L does have two holes through the glass whereas the M has one.

OP
OP
Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I encourage you to pay more attention to the flow rate (e.g., 800, 1200, etc.) rating for the overflow box instead of the aquarium size rating. I installed a Eshopps Eclipse L on my 75g and I’m glad I did because of the flexibility with turn over. The L does have two holes through the glass whereas the M has one.
Good point on the flow rate. I scare a little about drilling the two holes. I drilled the 40g but was only one hole.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good point on the flow rate. I scare a little about drilling the two holes. I drilled the 40g but was only one hole.

I have found that for many people the choice between the M and L is often based more on the number of holes to drill than any of the specification of the overflow box. Because I learned how to drill glass on 10g tanks, drilling the 75g was comparatively easy because of the thicker glass. Being a little scared is a good thing because it keeps you focused and not overconfident!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size the overflow to how much you want to put through it. My eclipse M handles my Sicce 3.0 fine. I had a 5.0 on it briefly but it was too big for the 1 inch drains.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Size the overflow to how much you want to put through it. My eclipse M handles my Sicce 3.0 fine. I had a 5.0 on it briefly but it was too big for the 1 inch drains.

+1.

The return pump that I am using on the 75g is rated slightly larger than a Sicce 5.0 and the Eclipse L has volume to spare with the return pump wide open. I’m not suggesting that you need to go that large - just trying to give a sense of the volume that the L can handle.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @ca1ore alluded to above, I find that ghost style overflow boxes, where the external box is lower than the internal weir box, to be unnecessarily noisey due to the extra distance the water has to drop from the weir teeth. I prefer the design of the Modular Marine overflow boxes where the weir box and external box are even, thus giving you more adjustability with your standpipes allowing you more flexibility to make it quiet based on a broader range of flow options. I run their 1200 gph box on my 57 gallon. For your 75 gallon, I’d go with their 1600 gph box.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the hole template on the Prodigy is the same as the Eclipse.

Either way, I would avoid the eshopps overflows. They work, but my eclipse has been wet for 8 months and started bowing in the back after about 4. Even the top is starting to curl. 1/4in acrylic shouldn't do that, and it's been a common complaint I've seen from people who have them.

OP
OP
Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @ca1ore alluded to above, I find that ghost style overflow boxes, where the external box is lower than the internal weir box, to be unnecessarily noisey due to the extra distance the water has to drop from the weir teeth. I prefer the design of the Modular Marine overflow boxes where the weir box and external box are even, thus giving you more adjustability with your standpipes allowing you more flexibility to make it quiet based on a broader range of flow options. I run their 1200 gph box on my 57 gallon. For your 75 gallon, I’d go with their 1600 gph box.

Interesting option. Thanks

OP
OP
Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the hole template on the Prodigy is the same as the Eclipse.

Either way, I would avoid the eshopps overflows. They work, but my eclipse has been wet for 8 months and started bowing in the back after about 4. Even the top is starting to curl. 1/4in acrylic shouldn't do that, and it's been a common complaint I've seen from people who have them.
I have mine running over two years and no problem at all.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the more reputable overflow box builders like Modular Marine, Exotic Marine Systems or Reef Savvy, their larger acrylic overflow boxes are either eurobraced or have cross supports to prevent their external boxes from bowing.

OP
OP
Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the more reputable overflow box builders like Modular Marine, Exotic Marine Systems or Reef Savvy, their larger acrylic overflow boxes are either eurobraced or have cross supports to prevent their external boxes from bowing.
I saw that. I just did a search on MM overflow box and I really like it but with shipping $32 pass the $200. Still debating...

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Digging into it it looks like the prodigy has something of a eurobrace frame to support the lid.

unnamed-2-1320x1760.jpg

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to see this debate on here. I am looking for an overflow box. I was set on eclipse L for my 120g. Then seen prodigy and like it alot. But I'm honestly much closer to buying the 1800gph modular marine. Just hate that the shipping is 32$. Amazon has the modular marine for 199$ free shipping. I mean the 48" modular marine woul be nice but not 400$ nice.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back