Eshopps Eclipse overflow - need some help

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of these units for a 75 gallon that I'm building. Did my first test fill tonight and discovered that the bulkheads from the tank to the overflow are leaking. No big deal I thought. I was exceedingly wrong. This is for an Aqueon 75 and it has a rim across the top. Being "smart" I mounted it so that the internal overflow is at the rim. This will keep the water level barely visible from the sides. It was a nightmare getting it together. Now it's come time to get it apart. The problem is there isn't enough room to get my hands (or any tool I own) into the tank side overflow box to hold the bulkhead while I undo it. One of them was no problem but this one seems impossible. There is about 1/2" from the rim of the tank to the edge of the box.

Unless someone has some advice on getting this thing off, I'm going to have to cut the acrylic (risking breaking the tank) to get it off and then order something better - that has more room internally for a hand. So if you have a suggestion please let me know, I'm all ears :)

SOLVED: My last post has details, but it took two people, three wrenches, and a bloody knuckle to get it. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Uncle_Matthew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of these units for a 75 gallon that I'm building. Did my first test fill tonight and discovered that the bulkheads from the tank to the overflow are leaking. No big deal I thought. I was exceedingly wrong. This is for an Aqueon 75 and it has a rim across the top. Being "smart" I mounted it so that the internal overflow is at the rim. This will keep the water level barely visible from the sides. It was a nightmare getting it together. Now it's come time to get it apart. The problem is there isn't enough room to get my hands (or any tool I own) into the tank side overflow box to hold the bulkhead while I undo it. One of them was no problem but this one seems impossible. There is about 1/2" from the rim of the tank to the edge of the box.

Unless someone has some advice on getting this thing off, I'm going to have to cut the acrylic (risking breaking the tank) to get it off and then order something better - that has more room internally for a hand. So if you have a suggestion please let me know, I'm all ears :)
can you try to grip it with a belt and use tension? or even a oil filter tool for a small car?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slip a thin leather belt around the pipe behind the nut and use it to hold it still while you loosen the nut.

If the front of the bulkhead has flats slide something between one of the flats and the side of the box jamming it so it cant turn

Many ways to do this.

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plastic rim is just silicone to the top edge of the glass. If you carefully pull up on it you can pop it loose. I’ve got the eclipse large on my 75 rimmed and the box inside literally touches my rim. To completely tighten the bulkhead I had to pop the rim off.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slip a thin leather belt around the pipe behind the nut and use it to hold it still while you loosen the nut.

If the front of the bulkhead has flats slide something between one of the flats and the side of the box jamming it so it cant turn

Many ways to do this.

Okay, maybe there are other ways. The nut is so close to the box that there is no room for a belt or anything behind it. I can't even get a screwdriver between the box and the bulkhead on the inside. Any other ideas?

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plastic rim is just silicone to the top edge of the glass. If you carefully pull up on it you can pop it loose. I’ve got the eclipse large on my 75 rimmed and the box inside literally touches my rim. To completely tighten the bulkhead I had to pop the rim off.

Going to go try that right now. Thanks!

Edit: Just looked at it and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to pop up. Every attempt to pop it off lifts the tank. The only thing I can think of is to use a screwdriver between the glass and the rim - but knowing my luck I'll break the glass. This has been a bad day

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab the pipe that passes through the tank that the nut is screwed onto BEHIND the nut. It's the same as holding the front.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4150-L.jpg
This part.

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to go try that right now. Thanks!

Edit: Just looked at it and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to pop up. Every attempt to pop it off lifts the tank. The only thing I can think of is to use a screwdriver between the glass and the rim - but knowing my luck I'll break the glass. This has been a bad day
I do believe I used a razor knife to cut the glue loose

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch that. Mine does have enough. Hope the OP's is similar
DSC03465.JPG

I just got it! Mine actually looks different than that - it fits much tighter. Part of the problem was that I had applied silicone sealer to the seals before tightening - which made it really hard to get off. Finally have it though, and have begun cleaning the threads. Now to order three new bulkheads and good to go

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back