Estimated par levels

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by USMA36, Nov 7, 2018.

1. USMA36

USMA36 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

i have a 90 gallon mixed reef 48" long 24" deep tank. I am currently using an 8x39 watt sunpower. I’d like to get an idea of how high I should hang my light for a mixed reef tank. I had it@4" then 6" but I think that is still too close. I do not have access to a par meter right now. I am hoping @ATI North America or someone else can help me out. Does anyone have a similar setup and estimated par readings? I am using 3 actinic 4 blue plus 1 coral plus.

Tags:

2. USMA36

USMA36 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Anyone?

3. Breadman03

Breadman03 Valuable Member Catskill Reef Member

BRS just started renting PAR meters. I think it's like $40/2 weeks. Also consider using a LUX meter or a free LUX app for your phone. @saltyfilmfolks has posted some excellent info on lighting.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  4. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Partner Member 2019

My recommendation has nothing to do with PAR. I recommend you blacken out the room, make it as dark as possible. Raise up your Sunpower to maybe 18" and turn it on. Note the line on the floor which is the "edge" of the light output. Slowly lower the light (perhaps with some help) until you "capture" the edge of the light. This will give you the maximum height of your light. This will also give you the best distribution of light as it reflects of your glass to light the undersides of corals etc. I would recommend keeping the light at this height, or perhaps just slightly lower if you prefer.

Draft saved Draft deleted