Estimating the Need for Swimming Space for Aquarium Fishes

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a general thought-- sometimes even if your fish don't go up high on a regular basis, in times of aggression one will often take advantage of the extra head-room (above the rocks) to zoom up and out of the danger posed by another fish. :)

Premium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay thank you for this incredible article. I replied to you on a separate thread asking questions before coming across your article. This sort of information is well thought out and provides an actual quantifiable determination of needed space for specific species of fish as well as understanding the how's and why's. Priceless information buddy. Thank you for all your hard work and for furthering the knowledge of this particular Reefer!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old writing but good to understand the needs.

Question: why is there such a disparity between sizes?

I looked up a purple tang, 36 cm record, 10 cm common. What?
Which number is used x 0.8 for the calculation? 14 inches seems way big and 4 inches seems to be still a juvenile.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old writing but good to understand the needs.

Question: why is there such a disparity between sizes?

I looked up a purple tang, 36 cm record, 10 cm common. What?
Which number is used x 0.8 for the calculation? 14 inches seems way big and 4 inches seems to be still a juvenile.
You need to be careful using Fishbase data - some of it is computer generated, and there is little human error checking. In other cases, they have some outlying record in their database (often a super male) that skews the record size. You’ll see that in some wrasses and tangs.

The 0.8 multiplier (80%) of the adult Fishbase size is from a study I did where I measured a large group of decades old fish in a public aquarium (fully grown) to the full size given in Fishbase, and those ran, on average, 80% of the Fishbase value. If you want to be more conservative, just use the raw Fishbase value.

Jay

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back