Ethan's Enchanting Queer Rainbow Reef (Reefer 250 Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember with safety stop, do not use it on fish with no scales, and never put a fish that has signs of ich on it. Some people overlook these small things.
@Inkgirl thanks for the heads up. I don’t know which groups of fish have no scales. I think Moray eels is one but I probably won’t ever get a Moray.

OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins do not have scales as well.
Mind blown. I didn't realize there are fish without scales! Also boxfish, catfish, swordish... fascinating and thanks for mentioning that. I might not have caught it.

Thoughts on the Eheim 1260 return pump?
Not sure... I got this used so didn't put much thought into a return pump nor do I know how old it is. It creates a little more of a hum than I'd want, but that could just be because its old or needs a cool scrubbing. Otherwise does its job.

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I posted in a local reefing group to feel out if there might be any takers for a little filefish if I get one and it doesn't work in my tank. So that makes me feel better about it ethically. I think I'll try one! Now need to decide which species. Looks like 3 species are available captive bred:
1. Whitespotted pygmy filefish (Rudaria ercodes)
2. Radial filefish (Acreichthys radiatus)
3. Aiptadia eating filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus)

Any thoughts on species that might be less likely to each corals?
I've had aptasia and whitespotted (Heads up - definitely get a screen for the top of your tank - I lost my aptasia that way...). The aptasia eating definitely ate small softies, like Zoas (not bigger plays though) and some Xenia. I just didn't keep Zoas when I had him and didn't get more Xenia - but if you are big into Zoas I would definitely pass. The whitespotted though I had absolutely no trouble with! Highly recommended as "reef safe" although as has been noted, each individual is different so no promises.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScubaEthan I'm anxious to know about sealant job on your Apex flow sensor. When you're ready to do it I can give you more pointers. Randy in the BRS video says not to get more sealant on the threads than will squeeze out the end of the fitting joint but I think it's more important to get enough and wipe the excess goop off with a paper towel. I don't think they harden completely but stay inside the threads like soft tar. Just don't try to unscrew the fittings after you have them together. It's much easier than you think it would be just remember to cover all the threads completely. Pipe joint compound or Rectorseal is what you want to use.

OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScubaEthan I'm anxious to know about sealant job on your Apex flow sensor. When you're ready to do it I can give you more pointers. Randy in the BRS video says not to get more sealant on the threads than will squeeze out the end of the fitting joint but I think it's more important to get enough and wipe the excess goop off with a paper towel. I don't think they harden completely but stay inside the threads like soft tar. Just don't try to unscrew the fittings after you have them together. It's much easier than you think it would be just remember to cover all the threads completely. Pipe joint compound or Rectorseal is what you want to use.
I don't have an apex flow sensor o_O
Are you referring to sealing my pipes? I ended up replacing all o-rings, putting teflon tape on the threads (but not on o-rings), and then also putting some silicone sealant around the outside of the connections for a little more peace of mind.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an apex flow sensor o_O
Are you referring to sealing my pipes? I ended up replacing all o-rings, putting teflon tape on the threads (but not on o-rings), and then also putting some silicone sealant around the outside of the connections for a little more peace of mind.
@ScubaEthan haha my bad. I must be following too many threads. I forget who’s doing what!! This is a little embarrassing I’m at the age where I have brain farts! I’ll be 52 in March.

OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScubaEthan haha my bad. I must be following too many threads. I forget who’s doing what!! This is a little embarrassing I’m at the age where I have brain farts! I’ll be 52 in March.
Haha no worries. I'm following a lot of Reefer 250 threads and it's hard to remember which one was which, and I'm 32!

OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fish! They are in a 10g quarantine tank and seem pretty happy and eating well. I'm feeding LRS frozen food. I have seem some white stringy poop so I'm trying to figure out if I need to treat that or if it's just a stress response.

20201223_203739.jpg

I obviously used my old cell phone, but you can at least see their markings. They are Da Vinci.

20201224_113709.jpg

Also, my display tank finally has some visible signs of life! Little brown spots. Not sure yet if its diatoms or algae. I plan to do another water change soon, test, and hopefully start getting some clean up crew critters while the fish continue to quarantine.

Other exciting news - I set up a reef breeders ATO with a 5g RO container. I've been topping off SO MUCH water on this tank. I'm really surprised how quickly it evaporates.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo! What do they make of the cat?

I've just noticed some little brown spots in mine too, looks like our tanks are moving at about the same pace lol.

How're you liking the ATO so far?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fish! They are in a 10g quarantine tank and seem pretty happy and eating well. I'm feeding LRS frozen food. I have seem some white stringy poop so I'm trying to figure out if I need to treat that or if it's just a stress response.

20201223_203739.jpg

I obviously used my old cell phone, but you can at least see their markings. They are Da Vinci.

20201224_113709.jpg

Also, my display tank finally has some visible signs of life! Little brown spots. Not sure yet if its diatoms or algae. I plan to do another water change soon, test, and hopefully start getting some clean up crew critters while the fish continue to quarantine.

Other exciting news - I set up a reef breeders ATO with a 5g RO container. I've been topping off SO MUCH water on this tank. I'm really surprised how quickly it evaporates.
I am also only liking the picture with your cat ;Hilarious ;Hilarious Good job on the system, by the way.

OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo! What do they make of the cat?

I've just noticed some little brown spots in mine too, looks like our tanks are moving at about the same pace lol.

How're you liking the ATO so far?
The clowns are just curious and interested in everything! They are such cute fish and fun to watch. They are doing lots of wiggles - I assume they are trying to figure out who gets to be the femme top.

I actually woke up to the tank being a gurgle monster again (return pump starting to suck air) so I think I didn't put the ATO sensor in the right place... I'll need to fiddle with it.

I am also only liking the picture with your cat ;Hilarious ;Hilarious Good job on the system, by the way.
Thank you! I just ordered a cat hammock that suction cups to windows and I'll put it next to my tank :) I really hope the cats like to watch my tank from it and I'll post more cat photos!

Yes, looks great and I really like your rockwork. My first tank was also a 250. I’ll be following along also.
Thank you! I am really pleased with how the rockwork came out too. I liked that it was dry and I could spend a lot of time figuring out the best layout. It's funny - I thought I had the layout figured out a couple times in a taped off area... but once I moved to putting rock IN the tank, it totally changed again. I do worry slightly that I don't have enough rock - only 25lb total (including two more rocks in the sump). But I'm a little confused on how you calculate by pounds now since I used dry rock and that formula was created back when we used wet live rock in the hobby that has so much added water weight. I do have a 2" sand bed and plan to make a refugium... so hopefully it'll be ok.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep extra rock in my sump too. I think you'll be fine especially with a sand bed. I like the minimalist Look, plus once the coral grow in it will fill in the space.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20201223_203739.jpg

20201224_113709.jpg

@ScubaEthan wow that cat has a long "arm" and long "fingers" too.

How did you do the backlight?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build thread Ethan! Looks like its coming along really well so far, lovely cat pics too!
Tagging along!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back