Ethan's Enchanting Queer Rainbow Reef (Reefer 250 Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201223_161144.jpg

Hi all! I'm back in the hobby after an almost 10 year hiatus and brand new to R2R. I got a used Red Sea Reefer 250 and my winter pandemic project will be starting it up. I'm inspired by scuba diving, both coldwater and tropical. I was in Raja Ampat, Indonesia, before the pandemic hit and I enjoy diving in kelp forests in the Pacific Northwest. I've always said I was too busy or didn't want to sink money into a tank again. But now I'm stuck at home and the world is depressing, so I need a happy hobby!

Tank goals:
-As sustainable as possible without taking many (any?) things directly from the ocean
-Mixed reef with lots of gentle movement
-Gorgonian
-Clam
-Pistol shrimp and goby pair
-Clowns and anemones
-Maybe some macro algae
-Future goal- pods and a mandarin

Equipment List as of December 2020:
-Red Sea Reefer 250 - 54g display and 11g sump
-SeptraPure MaxCap 5 stage RO/DI
-Return pump - Eheim 1260
-Kessil AP9X
-RedSea ReefWave45
-Hygger titanium heater with digital thermostat

Livestock:
-25lbs of dry rock
-60lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand
-2 Da Vinci Ocellaris Clownfish - in quarantine

signal-2020-09-11-180834.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I:
-Pulled off the black backing. I think having it see-through will give it more depth. We have grey walls in the living room.
-Cut, sanded, and painted a 3/4" hardwood plywood board to go under the tank. This is to help distribute the weight and hopefully protected the carpet a bit, especially from indentations.

Next up:
-Hookup the RO/DO and maybe clean it according to this thread. I'm new to making my own water, and not familiar with plumbing, so this feels like a bit of a challenge.
-Clean out the used water storage container and python tubing I got
-Clean the used tank I got

20201011_151159.jpg 20201011_135647.jpg 20201010_202538.jpg 20201010_143203.jpg

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the dimensions on that tank! I'm definitely interested to see how you do looking for captive bred/sustainable inhabitants - that's something I've been thinking a lot about as well. It's such a different world than I'm used to in freshwater where most things are tank bred.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScubaEthan off to a great start. Following. You posted in my thread about captive bred livestock and I asked you if you have a build thread, well if I looked at the badge under your username I would have known. Duh

OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting update! Well, I'm excited at least, that I just bought the Kessil AP9X :cool: and an RSK 300 skimmer!!!
I've had some life things come up that put starting this tank on pause for a bit but I'm finally back at it.

Next I need to decide on powerheads. I think 2x VorTech MP10s would be awesome, but they are just so spendy. I love how they don't have cords in the water - seems easier for maintenance. And that it uses an app to control - just seems super cool but maybe it is overrated? Such a high price tag too.
Cheaper options:
2x AI Nero 3 with their app!
2x Tunze Turbelle Stream 6065 with their controller
2x Koralia 3rd Gen with their wavemaker controller

Then there are the Maxspect Gyres and Red Sea Reef Waves. These both seem like cool products but I'm not sure I'm sold. Seems like maintenance is a bit harder with more parts. And could I get away with just one or would I need 2?

I want to try to get that back and forth motion like when I'm diving near the shore with some surge. I also plan to have anemone(s) and want to prevent them getting caught up.

I got my RODI set up in the basement and filled a huge food grade barrel. Now I need to test out my pump to see if it can pump the water (once I mix salt) up a flight of stairs to my tank. I got an older Sicce Syncra 5.0 so we'll see. I hate to spend a few hundred on a new pump just to move water upstairs once a week, but my back can't haul buckets.

OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20201122_152539.jpg
    20201122_152539.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 47

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What concentration of bleach? Squeezing the tube isn't going to do anything, but running a pipe cleaner through it will since you'll actively mechanically dislodge the mold. Hydrogen peroxide in high enough concentrations will also work.

OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What concentration of bleach? Squeezing the tube isn't going to do anything, but running a pipe cleaner through it will since you'll actively mechanically dislodge the mold. Hydrogen peroxide in high enough concentrations will also work.
I put 50ft of tubing in a Rubbermaid bin with a couple capfulls of bleach. Does the mold need to be visible gone? Or will it physically still be there but killed off? How much bleach or hydrogen peroxide do you suggest? Thanks!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 50ft of tubing in a Rubbermaid bin with a couple capfulls of bleach. Does the mold need to be visible gone? Or will it physically still be there but killed off? How much bleach or hydrogen peroxide do you suggest? Thanks!
Yeah I usually go for half a cup bleach for 4-5 gallons of water and let it soak for a good while (2-3 hours, then drain the container with the hose).

The mold shouldn't really affect the tank. I clean my hoses for aesthetic reasons. But hydrogen peroxide should in theory attack the mold.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking the same thing up the other day - hydrogen peroxide seems like the simplest option; for a siphon tube the video I watched suggested siphoning it back and forth between 2 buckets a couple of times to move it through the line. Another option is to pull something through it to scrub the inside, like a scrap of washcloth. Make sure to use a strong cord though so it doesn't snap and leave it stuck in the middle!

OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your tips and ideas!

I currently have 3/4 cup bleach, cause that's what I had on hand, in about 7 gallons of water with a pump on.

Update - the Syncra 5.0 does in fact pump from my basement to my tank!!! That saves a couple hundred bucks and means I can get water in the tank sooner.

I took some photos of my basement setup. It's nothing fancy, but I think it's important to document the non-pretty setups cause I always wonder exactly how people do stuff, especially with plumbing, when I don't have a clue about plumbing. Plus, I have a chronic pain disorder and don't have the energy to make it look nice nor the money to throw at it to make it spiffy (I'd rather spend it on nice display tank equipment). But it functions!

20201125_214717.jpg 20201125_214739.jpg 20201125_214810.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I usually go for half a cup bleach for 4-5 gallons of water and let it soak for a good while (2-3 hours, then drain the container with the hose).

The mold shouldn't really affect the tank. I clean my hoses for aesthetic reasons. But hydrogen peroxide should in theory attack the mold.
That made a huge difference. The tube looks clean now! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back