Euphyllia tissue recession recovery

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a quick question on euphyllia recovery after tissue has receded with some edges of septa showing. Picked up a frag that has this issue. Not a cheap frag either. The coral otherwise looks healthy, but ime this isn’t a good start. If I keep the conditions pristine and stable what’s the likelihood of recovery? Does the skeleton just continue to grow and the tissue starts to recover the newly grown area? Thanks!

19577F64-32DC-4B35-AC5C-94889EF56169.jpeg

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious about this too, I am having this same issue.

I had an acan bounce back from something similar and I don't know what fixed it, I did notice that when my alk went up to 9.5 and was stable the acan started looking better and fluffy...

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with raising the alk and keeping parameters stable. My approach will be to gradually raise the alk from 7.5 dkh to 9 or 10 and start feeding the euphyllia more frequently with reef roids. Not sure if roids is just as good as reef energy but it's what I got right now. Corals are in good spots I believe, with par around 100-150, and I've reduced the flow on my return so they aren't getting blasted.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s in a tank with proper conditions it will absolutely recover. And pretty quickly.
I was(am) having issues with my main display tank, and a lot of my hammers started to loose flesh.
I moved them to a different system in my house, and within 2 weeks they were back to normal.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a while but they can recover as long as the water parameters and lighting are good. The candy canes that were almost dead made a great recovery too.

56A19013-AD2C-4910-9E84-7F2E11A45226.jpeg A514AFC7-DE2C-48B0-B33A-737D0E52A118.jpeg 567998FD-12E2-41DA-B5F5-63C50F115862.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s in a tank with proper conditions it will absolutely recover. And pretty quickly.
I was(am) having issues with my main display tank, and a lot of my hammers started to loose flesh.
I moved them to a different system in my house, and within 2 weeks they were back to normal.

What do you think was the main issue with the display?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think was the main issue with the display?
if you're asking whats wrong with my display, i have no solid answer but i suspect something bacterial. Ive had multiple ICP tests and everything is within proper range, so its not the chemistry of the water. The tank was started with dry rock and bottled bacteria so i suspect that theres an imbalance of whatever microorganisms are needed for corals to thrive but have no solid answer as we dont even know what those are.
both my other 2 tanks have no issue keeping corals alive and thriving and all tanks get the same maintenance and care.

kkarvelas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recovery is definitely possible! Sometimes they look like that when theyre stressed and unhappy. With some comfy parameters and stable conditions it will bounce back! Just keep an eye out for any other symptoms

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for the response everyone. Perhaps I’m extrapolating too much, but I had a wall hammer that I vacuumed by accident and it just melted away. Also had a snake skin torch that was cut too close at the bottom that melted over night. The corals I have are doing great. I always watch for tissue recession to gauge how happy it is cause these things grow slow for me and recovery takes time. And then algae encroaches and boom you’ve lost the head. But will keep things stable and monitor from here!

kkarvelas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for the response everyone. Perhaps I’m extrapolating too much, but I had a wall hammer that I vacuumed by accident and it just melted away. Also had a snake skin torch that was cut too close at the bottom that melted over night. The corals I have are doing great. I always watch for tissue recession to gauge how happy it is cause these things grow slow for me and recovery takes time. And then algae encroaches and boom you’ve lost the head. But will keep things stable and monitor from here!

i used to work at a reef store and wall hammers RARELY did well even in a solid well established tank. Any time they have an issue or inury or disease it seems to spread WAY faster on wall hammers than branching.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a torch go thru a tank crash. It had algae start to grow on the base of the torch which usually means death of some sort. I kept the water changed and it pulled thru. It no longer has algae growing on it and had since flourished. It it possible for a euphillia to recover, you just have to baby i and monitor it. I never changed the parameters, I just made sure the water was changed and clean of what ever reason caused the issue. I do dose trace elements.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back