Euro Bracing for my new tank, what is safe

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW. If You're not doing a cross brace the euro-brace can be higher in the tank - but still INSIDE the tank.
I have watched so many video's about this subject i've lost track euro bracing inside the tank outside on the top right from the manufacture sales vids. Have asked this question 10+ times on this forum and got 10 different answers. As there is only 2 ways to install the euro bracing on the inside or on top. So i'm going to put it on the top and "let it ride" and put a 6" brace in the middle front to back. included is a picture of my overflow in relation to the top of the glass maybe give you a better understanding, as you can see its not possible to go inside the tank

Attachments

• 20210411_114750.jpg
    20210411_114750.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 130

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So here is the thing: it's called Euro-brace because of its origin. That's the way they build tanks in Europe. They did that 25 years ago ( I had one when living there) and they are still doing that today. This is the proper way that glass brace performs intended function and provides the strongest anti-bowing support.

Coincidently enough, the tank I've shown above....was just built in Europe.

Disturbed;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the thing: it's called Euro-brace because of its origin. That's the way they build tanks in Europe. They did that 25 years ago ( I had one when living there) and they are still doing that today. This is the proper way that glass brace performs intended function and provides the strongest anti-bowing support.

Coincidently enough, the tank I've shown above....was just built in Europe.
Agreed but true "Euro" bracing is only done on sides longer than 2 feet and the glass doesnt go coast to coast. There are gaps between the brace and the end panels so that you can plumb your canister without drilling the glass.
When I lived in Germany I found a 15 year old 200 liter direct injected tank someone had dumped in public nature park parking lot. I brought it home bleached it and ran it for years with no issues even though it was 50cm tall 120cm wide with no cross brace and only made from 6mm glass.
The reason most euro bracing is done inside the tank is because the brace is thicker glass than the tank itself so putting it on top would only give you the bond thickness of the tank glass. Plus it gives you a handy place to put lids lol.
There used to be a calculator that would tell you your safety factor with and without bracing but it must have been Java because it doesn't work anymore.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All u need is strip of glass 5cm in width, and lengt is about 10-15cm shorter than front panel. U need two of them.

Ita siliconed from inside on both front and back panels, about 2cm below glass edge. If you want for extra security you can silicone same glass strips across tank, one in center, other two on edges of front and back braces.....

This is enough support if glass thickness is correct. No need to go all around tank, and no use gluing it anywhere else beside inner glass, 2,3cm from top....

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
All u need is strip of glass 5cm in width, and lengt is about 10-15cm shorter than front panel. U need two of them.

Ita siliconed from inside on both front and back panels, about 2cm below glass edge. If you want for extra security you can silicone same glass strips across tank, one in center, other two on edges of front and back braces.....

This is enough support if glass thickness is correct. No need to go all around tank, and no use gluing it anywhere else beside inner glass, 2,3cm from top....

In post #21 he already stated that he cannot do it on the "inside"

His overflow box goes all the way to the top edge.

You're correct about no need to go around the tank, only on the front and back. I asked for around the tank on my design because I didn't want water to splash out when using a large magnet cleaner - an issue a lot of people have with rimless tanks.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if of box is on back panel, then there is no need to have brace on that panel, of box serve same purpose. If it is located on centre of panel. If not, again, glass strip on available space....

If there is not available space, like it seem on picture, then of box serves as brace=no need to brace that panel...

On front panel shouldnt be any obstacles, right?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well if of box is on back panel, then there is no need to have brace on that panel, of box serve same purpose. If it is located on centre of panel. If not, again, glass strip on available space....

If there is not available space, like it seem on picture, then of box serves as brace=no need to brace that panel...

On front panel shouldnt be any obstacles, right?

It's a slim acrylic box from EMS it would appear. I don't think that would provide much bracing, especially when the back is already breached by 2 decent-sized holes.

At this point, a brace on top is probably better than absolutely nothing.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh.... If acrylic,.not gonna do....

Is there a way to simply make same from glass, or modify existing to be bit lower?

Yes, ist better than anything, sure, if there is no option.....

Disturbed;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always placing the brace on the outside if something is impeding it on the inside. I built a 210 that had obstacles due to holes already in the glass so I braced it from the top with even thinner glass than the tank but with more bracing width than normal. So with an overhang so to speak. If rockwork or background would cover you could even drop the brace lower on the outside of the tank to clear obstacles and not notice it
Totally agree that an acrylic box will do nothing for actual bracing. The key to actually adding structural support to the glass to keep it from bowing is having a single piece across the weak panel. So it's better to have it a little lower than. Perfect then to splice it. So long as it's placed properly. I've forced air out of silicone for that "perfect professional look" only to have the tank bow enough to snap that brace.
I've built countless tanks at this point but everyone makes mistakes and someone will eventually figure out a better mouse trap. So having each other, especially with so many professionals involved, makes this hobby possible.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back