Euro bracing verses rimless and no bracing 340 gallon tank. I need advice.

BYU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would stay away from lfs if they won’t tell you who you are getting it from and can’t speak to the manufacturer

i just ordered mine custom after researching
71x24x30
anything over 28 inches high would either need bracing or a plastic bracket
i have 30 inch high which is a pain but i love it
the length you are getting would need bracing but i would prob do 3/4 inch thick to prevent bowing
i would get quotes from most of the main guys
glass cages ,cda,planet,coast 2coast,tankmelater, miracles
i just ordered mine from miracles aquariums in canada, slightly higher in price than some others but the had exactly what i wanted and i speak to derek regularly
i would stay away from a used tank at that size
acrylic will def scratch which would drive me crazy (ask anyone who has a large acrylic)
if your are planning a huge tank i would think you are planning for the long haul and keeping it atleast 15 years
i am replacing my old aga 210 gallon 16 years old
usually you get what you’re pay
i am getting eurobracing with 3/4 inch class and armour seams
just my 2cents
good luck

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure i'll give you my 2 cents for what ever it worth.

1st thought as said above if your LFS will not tell you who is building it then run away fast!

2nd I would reach out to @Joe Glass Cages might be the place your LFS is thinking og getting it from.
they really up there game with the new owners. joe is such a nice guys and love talking tanks. we have sent many emails back if form about a 300ish gallon tank over the year. project is on hold for quite some time. that said when its time I will place the order from him.

also there is a handy price calulater on there web site you can play around with lots of option to give you an idea on prices. very handy

ok with that out of the way!

you are going to love a peninsula that big! I have the res sea 650P as well a a nano peninsula. it's like having 3 tanks in one!

what are you plans for the tank? reef or FOWLR?
me personally I would not go over 25" in height its is a fish only then sure maybe but a reef heck NO.
~if you do go that high then about lowering the stand height to make up for it.

I agree with others go euro bracing. that is what I would do. glass cages has some cool euro bracing options worth looking in to.

talk to your builder about the need for 3/4" vs 1/2" and see what they say. I would be curious what @Joe Glass Cages would recommend here? if you can I would go 1/2" glass on the back wall. that way you would have so many more flow options. flow in a peninsula tank is pretty hard. unless you have deep pockets for mp60 + mp40 on each side. the point is there are only a few PH that will hold on 3/4" glass.

good luck and keep us posted I am curious what you do as I have been think something along the same lines.
Thanks so much for the loop in @Devaji Really appreciate the support and mention.

Excellent questions @Gundy ... enjoy this process of learning and education. Will help you select the best vendor for your needs.

Lets me see here.....

1) Rimless vs Euro-Braced? technical specifications and tolerances come in to play here. We would build an 84 x 36 x 28 Tall Euro-Braced tank with 3/4 walls and 3/4 bottom. Thats our spec. Now for rimless, your question about stronger is spot on. The tallest we would build a rimless with a foot print of 84 x 36 is 16" tall. again, thats our specs. I can only speak for what we are comfortable with and have experience with for almost 40 years now.
2) Low-Iron vs Regular Float Glass? Softer? Scratch easier? This topic has been discuss so much. I have been following this topic for years. The only place I have been able to find any discussion or information on this topic is in forums. Have found no glass manufacturer making this claim. fact vs opinion? I found some technical data on this topic recently. Glass Cages entered into a direct relationship with the manufacturer of Starphire Ultra-Clear glass. Vitro Architectural Glass company. I posed this question to them. They had never heard of such a thing and provided their technical data sheets to us. (please see below). According to these technical data sheets both Starphire and Regular Float glass appear to have the same hardness and toughness. If true, how could one scratch easier than the other. I dont know. I am just in the same quest as many for the truth. I will continue to pursue the truth. This is the closest thing I have been able to get my hands on from a manufacturer vs a forum on this topic.
3) Quality Magnet Cleaner, I'm not your guy on this one. There are so many options and new things coming out. Hard for me to keep up on that one.
4) 28 tall hard to clean. hmmmm I believe it would be easier to clean than 29 tall. just kidding... 36 wide could be challenging too. I do know this, when it is something that we want, we figure it out. So, try to live doing maintenance in your mind before you make your final decision. This is one you will have to live with for some time for sure.

Hope that was helpful.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.18.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.17.58 PM.png

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the loop in @Devaji Really appreciate the support and mention.

Excellent questions @Gundy ... enjoy this process of learning and education. Will help you select the best vendor for your needs.

Lets me see here.....

1) Rimless vs Euro-Braced? technical specifications and tolerances come in to play here. We would build an 84 x 36 x 28 Tall Euro-Braced tank with 3/4 walls and 3/4 bottom. Thats our spec. Now for rimless, your question about stronger is spot on. The tallest we would build a rimless with a foot print of 84 x 36 is 16" tall. again, thats our specs. I can only speak for what we are comfortable with and have experience with for almost 40 years now.
2) Low-Iron vs Regular Float Glass? Softer? Scratch easier? This topic has been discuss so much. I have been following this topic for years. The only place I have been able to find any discussion or information on this topic is in forums. Have found no glass manufacturer making this claim. fact vs opinion? I found some technical data on this topic recently. Glass Cages entered into a direct relationship with the manufacturer of Starphire Ultra-Clear glass. Vitro Architectural Glass company. I posed this question to them. They had never heard of such a thing and provided their technical data sheets to us. (please see below). According to these technical data sheets both Starphire and Regular Float glass appear to have the same hardness and toughness. If true, how could one scratch easier than the other. I dont know. I am just in the same quest as many for the truth. I will continue to pursue the truth. This is the closest thing I have been able to get my hands on from a manufacturer vs a forum on this topic.
3) Quality Magnet Cleaner, I'm not your guy on this one. There are so many options and new things coming out. Hard for me to keep up on that one.
4) 28 tall hard to clean. hmmmm I believe it would be easier to clean than 29 tall. just kidding... 36 wide could be challenging too. I do know this, when it is something that we want, we figure it out. So, try to live doing maintenance in your mind before you make your final decision. This is one you will have to live with for some time for sure.

Hope that was helpful.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.18.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.17.58 PM.png
And remember, you didn't pay for this:
genius GIF

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure i'll give you my 2 cents for what ever it worth.

1st thought as said above if your LFS will not tell you who is building it then run away fast!

2nd I would reach out to @Joe Glass Cages might be the place your LFS is thinking og getting it from.
they really up there game with the new owners. joe is such a nice guys and love talking tanks. we have sent many emails back if form about a 300ish gallon tank over the year. project is on hold for quite some time. that said when its time I will place the order from him.

also there is a handy price calulater on there web site you can play around with lots of option to give you an idea on prices. very handy

ok with that out of the way!

you are going to love a peninsula that big! I have the res sea 650P as well a a nano peninsula. it's like having 3 tanks in one!

what are you plans for the tank? reef or FOWLR?
me personally I would not go over 25" in height its is a fish only then sure maybe but a reef heck NO.
~if you do go that high then about lowering the stand height to make up for it.

I agree with others go euro bracing. that is what I would do. glass cages has some cool euro bracing options worth looking in to.

talk to your builder about the need for 3/4" vs 1/2" and see what they say. I would be curious what @Joe Glass Cages would recommend here? if you can I would go 1/2" glass on the back wall. that way you would have so many more flow options. flow in a peninsula tank is pretty hard. unless you have deep pockets for mp60 + mp40 on each side. the point is there are only a few PH that will hold on 3/4" glass.

good luck and keep us posted I am curious what you do as I have been think something along the same lines.
I will second the vote on Joe at Glass Cages! Joe built a custom 3/4" low iron glass tank for me with euro bracing and it is amazing. My tank is over 48" Tall btw! I also learned a long time ago when it comes to quality there is a difference in cheap, and inexpensive. It only takes one time to learn that lesson! go with JOE!!!

IMG_4968.jpg

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second the vote on Joe at Glass Cages! Joe built a custom 3/4" low iron glass tank for me with euro bracing and it is amazing. My tank is over 48" Tall btw! I also learned a long time ago when it comes to quality there is a difference in cheap, and inexpensive. It only takes one time to learn that lesson! go with JOE!!!

IMG_4968.jpg
@KYnewbee42103 thanks so much for sharing. I am really proud of the team here at Glass Cages. The are really doing amazing work. So fun to be on their team.

your tank looks totally amazing. Love seeing pictures of this. And! and you did an amazing job on the center feature. Love your creativity!

KYnewbee42103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KYnewbee42103 thanks so much for sharing. I am really proud of the team here at Glass Cages. The are really doing amazing work. So fun to be on their team.

your tank looks totally amazing. Love seeing pictures of this. And! and you did an amazing job on the center feature. Love your creativity!
Thanks Joe! I’m really proud of your work too! I have no reservations about recommending your work cause I can honestly speak from experience! Your patience from design to delivery included constant communication! I will never order from anyone else! I am having a home built currently and will have our architect be in contact with you on design & dimensions for my next show piece in the spring!!

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Joe! I’m really proud of your work too! I have no reservations about recommending your work cause I can honestly speak from experience! Your patience from design to delivery included constant communication! I will never order from anyone else! I am having a home built currently and will have our architect be in contact with you on design & dimensions for my next show piece in the spring!!
thanks so much @KYnewbee42103, that means a ton to me and the team. really appreciate the support. We got you!

totally love this stuff!

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that acrylic on larger tanks is better , scratches can always be buffed out on acrylic , even under water. Tank is more than half the weight in acrylic and acrylic is twice as strong a material. Midwest Custom Aquarium builds some nice acrylic tanks
That is who has built 2 of my tanks and just took my order for a 3rd.

Fiziksgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its interesting that each manufacturer will offer something slightly different. I had a 72x36x28 quoted by Planet aquariums and CDA. CDA said 3/4 with eurobrace If I was willing to shorten to 26" they would use 1/2 sides, internal bottom eurobrace and top eurobrace and I'd save like $1,000. That seems to be inline with Glass Cages information above. Planet aquariums offered a 1"PVC bottom, 1/2 all sides, but would not offer me a eurobrace. It would also have a couple cross braces. I scratched my head over that one and ordered the CDA tank!

In terms of reach. I used to have al All-Glass 210 back about 15 years ago, 72x24x29. It was in wall and only accessible form the back. I don't recall having too many accessibility issues. I am right at 6' tall. Some tools and a good stool or platform to work from will solve your access issues. With my peninsula build, I figure I will have access from 3 sides, so in theory, access should be easier! But no doubt, your sleeve will get wet form time to time...

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its interesting that each manufacturer will offer something slightly different. I had a 72x36x28 quoted by Planet aquariums and CDA. CDA said 3/4 with eurobrace If I was willing to shorten to 26" they would use 1/2 sides, internal bottom eurobrace and top eurobrace and I'd save like $1,000. That seems to be inline with Glass Cages information above. Planet aquariums offered a 1"PVC bottom, 1/2 all sides, but would not offer me a eurobrace. It would also have a couple cross braces. I scratched my head over that one and ordered the CDA tank!

In terms of reach. I used to have al All-Glass 210 back about 15 years ago, 72x24x29. It was in wall and only accessible form the back. I don't recall having too many accessibility issues. I am right at 6' tall. Some tools and a good stool or platform to work from will solve your access issues. With my peninsula build, I figure I will have access from 3 sides, so in theory, access should be easier! But no doubt, your sleeve will get wet form time to time...
Thanks for your comments. I did order my tank and feel good about 28 inches tall. It will be more work to clean as it is a peninsula. The tank was quoted at 1/2 inch thick with euro bracing but I upgraded to 3/4 inch glass with euro bracing just for extra support. I can’t imagine the hell and the uncontrollable wrath that would come from my wife if the tank ever broke and flooded our house.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally ready to order my peninsula reef tank. I have decided on the size to be 84 X 36 X 28 tall. My questions re the following:

1. Rimless vs Euro braced for strength purposes. The Euro braced tank would 1/2 in thickness and rimless would be 3/4 inch thick. I am concerned with strength, leaking and breaking. Is euro bracing making the tank a lot stronger And if using 3/4 inch glass, is that just as strong as 1/2 inch with euro bracing?
2. Low iron vs regular glass. Is low iron glass going to scratch much easier? Would you use low iron glass?
3. Is 3/4 inch glass to thick to use a quality magnet cleaner or do they make heavier magnets?
4. Is a 28 inch tall tank to difficult to clean? I am 6’ 1” and I am wanting to put my arm in and clean all the way to the bottom by hand. I will have 3 sides to clean.

Please give me your input. Thanks
1. I would consult the tank manufacturer and go with what they recommend for glass thickness. I think I would prefer the eurobraced myself.
2. I went LIG on mine and I am glad I did I have not had problems with scratches.
3.I use a mag cleaner on mine with no problems. I use the Flipper magnet
4. I think that wont be a problem mine is 36". Its a little difficult but worth it.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for your comments. I did order my tank and feel good about 28 inches tall. It will be more work to clean as it is a peninsula. The tank was quoted at 1/2 inch thick with euro bracing but I upgraded to 3/4 inch glass with euro bracing just for extra support. I can’t imagine the hell and the uncontrollable wrath that would come from my wife if the tank ever broke and flooded our house.
Good choices all around.

My tank is 82L x 32W x 31T with 3/4" low iron glass and 3/4 acrylic euro-bracing. I have a 1" PCV bottom which made drilling holes for my closed loop pretty risk free.

I am 6'1" and can barely reach the bottom. But I don't wish I had gone shorter because I rarely need to reach the bottom. I do wish I had gone wider though, its easy to run out of real estate in a peninsula.

The Tunze magnets work fine and so do MP60 powerheads if you end up going that direction for flow.

Good luck with the build!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225 gal CDA tank with Euro bracing. It is a pain to keep clean, BUT having that extra bit to support it...HMMM!!!

I will deal with the extra bit to make sure that my tank is well preserved.

Octo top 1.jpg

OP
OP
Gundy

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good choices all around.

My tank is 82L x 32W x 31T with 3/4" low iron glass and 3/4 acrylic euro-bracing. I have a 1" PCV bottom which made drilling holes for my closed loop pretty risk free.

I am 6'1" and can barely reach the bottom. But I don't wish I had gone shorter because I rarely need to reach the bottom. I do wish I had gone wider though, its easy to run out of real estate in a peninsula.

The Tunze magnets work fine and so do MP60 powerheads if you end up going that direction for flow.

Good luck with the build!
Who built your tank? Not many manufacturers that put in PVC bottoms.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your glass aquarium will be heavy, REALLY heavy. Acrylic has numerous advantages over glass including the weight. Cost wise, acrylic is also usually less expensive. For example, we would build this tank out of 1/2 inch cell cast with no charge overflows for around $2,000 plus shipping. And best of all, no chiropractor fees.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back