Euro bracing with a hole around it?

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of adding euro bracing inside the tank, but with a few different ideas.

1. The euro bracing wouldn't be all the way to the edge, instead it'd be suspended an inch or two before it. This would mean if a fish were to jump on top of it, it could in theory flop back into the tank.

2. The euro bracing wouldn't be at the level of the edge, but an inch lower, making it impossible for a fish to have the right angle to jump out by going through the hole around it.

It will look a little strange. But I'm not a fan of the screen covered tanks.

Thoughts?

paulsz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm having a hard time imagining it exactly. But from what I've seen, fish don't only jump close the walls of the tank. I've had my firefish jump out from the middle of the tank multiple times.

OP
OP
S

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm having a hard time imagining it exactly. But from what I've seen, fish don't only jump close the walls of the tank. I've had my firefish jump out from the middle of the tank multiple times.

Imagine a regular euro braced tank. Except that bracing is cut short an inch on all sides and slid down an inch lower than the tank edge. Let's say the euro bracing itself is 3" wide. It'd mean if the firefish were to jump, he'd have to clear 4" of width and 1" of height at the end to get out. My hope is instead of clearing it, he'd land on the euro bracing and fall back into the tank after flopping around a little.

paulsz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh okay i understand now. And the corners would be open in that case.

I don't know which fish you have. Firefish do dart out though. I can imagine they are able to clear it, but i couldn't imagine a clown to make it out.

It's all about the risk you're willing to take. Your bracing idea would definitely reduce the risk, but wouldn't eliminate it.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sounds like you're describing a true Euro Brace tank.

....but if the fish jumps onto the brace, what makes you think it will flop back to the tank instead of springing right out the tank?

OP
OP
S

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

....but if the fish jumps onto the brace, what makes you think it will flop back to the tank instead of springing right out the tank?

The brace is situated an inch or two lower than the side of the tank, and there's a hole between the brace and the tank wall. If the fish were to land on the brace itself, there is no way for it to get enough momentum to clear the hole and the wall. It'd either flop back into the tank, or pass away on the brace itself.

paulsz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

his bracing would be offset an inch from the top. And so a fish flopping would have to flop an inch high to make it over the top. It would also be an inch from the edge, and so if it flops either side of the "brace", it would flop down into the tank.

OP
OP
S

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a wrasse, it will still jump out. Just FYI.

I wasn't planning on getting a wrasse, but let's say it's a smaller wrasse like a 4 line. Say the brace is an inch from the wall and one inch below it. It'd mean the wrasse would have to clear over 6 inches, at the exact right angle, to clear the contraption.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I wasn't planning on getting a wrasse, but let's say it's a smaller wrasse like a 4 line. Say the brace is an inch from the wall and one inch below it. It'd mean the wrasse would have to clear over 6 inches, at the exact right angle, to clear the contraption.

Wrasses jump far more than that. I found my leopard feet away from the tank and we no longer have a dog that could have carried it. With no cover, you'll lose fish - its inevitable.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly do you get glass to somehow levitate an inch away from the tank wall? Here’s my screen top recessed on my eurobrace. Keep it simple man!

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses jump far more than that. I found my leopard feet away from the tank and we no longer have a dog that could have carried it. With no cover, you'll lose fish - its inevitable.

So let's say your wrasse jumped out near the edge, which is 54" from the ground. That means it took roughly .5 seconds before it hit the ground. Assuming a distance of 2ft, it'd have to be traveling roughly 2.7 miles per hour at the point of the jump in order to cross that distance. Assuming it didn't flop further. Which to me seems relatively slow. I'd hope my contraption would stop a fish jumping that slow.

OP
OP
S

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly do you get glass to somehow levitate an inch away from the tank wall? Here’s my screen top recessed on my eurobrace. Keep it simple man!

image.jpg

Nice job, looks very clean for a screen. I imagine holding it up using some squares siliconed into the corners.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can imagine all you want. But without a proper lid. It's just a matter of time that a jumper will be dry and dead when you find it.
Learn how to live without jumpers if you don't plan on adding a lid/net to your tank.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either put a screen top, or avoid fish that are known as jumpers.... I get your idea of the brace situation, but I have personally seen both a wrasse and a fire fish (not in the same occurrence ) jump out from dang near the middle of the tank and on to the floor about 2 feet + from the tank.

it almost seems like they have calculated the trajectory of the jump to make sure they can get over the rim of the tank but below the light fixture while maximizing distance, for what could potentially be the world record for a tank exit fish jump.

just my thoughts

OP
OP
S

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either put a screen top, or avoid fish that are known as jumpers.... I get your idea of the brace situation, but I have personally seen both a wrasse and a fire fish (not in the same occurrence ) jump out from dang near the middle of the tank and on to the floor about 2 feet + from the tank.

it almost seems like they have calculated the trajectory of the jump to make sure they can get over the rim of the tank but below the light fixture while maximizing distance, for what could potentially be the world record for a tank exit fish jump.

just my thoughts

I have been avoiding jumpers. But today a Chromis jumped over my 3 inch tank wall. Which is what brought this on. I have a pair of clowns and a one of the super tiny Hawkfish cousins. Hoping to get another swimmer, open to suggestion, and a Mandarin.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been avoiding jumpers. But today a Chromis jumped over my 3 inch tank wall. Which is what brought this on. I have a pair of clowns and a one of the super tiny Hawkfish cousins. Hoping to get another swimmer, open to suggestion, and a Mandarin.

A lawnmower blenny would never think of jumping out, I actually think they cant gain enough speed or guts to do it

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lawnmower jump! Any fish can if startled or picked on.

I would love to see a picture of what you are thinking. Just because I cannot seem to figure it in my mind. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back