Euthanize a fish?

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't know what to do. If you've seen my other threads, I had a 29 gallon BioCube get hit with Brooks. I got four survivors into the HT. They all got Formalin bath treatments. One didn't make it after the last bath. My DT started its 76 day fallow period. About 1/2 thru the fallow period I had an unexpected ammonia spike and the Melenarus Wrasse got ammonia burn. Got that treated and he seemed good except he seemed blind. Then about a week before fallow period ended, the Coral Beauty got a bacterial infection. Hit it with meds and it seemed to clear up the infection - but left the CB blind as well. The 3rd fish - Pajama Cardinal fish is fine and back in DT now. I've tried everything I can to feed the sick ones. Their favorites. Garlic. Selcon. Nori banded to PVC and in a clip. They just swim into the food, bump into it and swim on. They are wasting away. It's been over three weeks since I've SEEN either one eat. The back 1/3 of the CB is almost paper thin. The Wrasse is struggling to keep from turning belly up. I'm torn between watching them slowly die or euthanizing them. It's gotta be suffering starving to death. Is the a humane way to end this? Or should I just let nature take its course? Advice is welcome.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about this, here is an option I found online that seems to have the most humane process.

Euthanasia of Fish at Home
Clove oil works very well in fish anesthesia, and is available from specialty stores or pharmacies. Clove oil is not water-soluble but can be rendered soluble by first dissolving it in ethanol, then using this stock diluted in cold water (about 1 ml per gallon, or 1/4 teaspoon per gallon). Submerge the fish in a bag of water and add 1 capful every 3-4 minutes. Clove oil works fairly quickly, as you will notice its effects, by the fish slowing its respiration, then loose buoyancy or lay sideways, then becomes motionless.

Next, carbon dioxide gas can be used as euthanasia for fish. To generate carbon dioxide in water, dissolve 2 or more tablets/liter (8 tablets/gallon) of Alka-Seltzer[emoji768] tablets with the fish submerged in a covered bowl or bag. Try to keep the bubbling away from its gills while its falls asleep.

Be aware that the fish undergoing euthanasia will initially exhibit a bout of hyper-excitement as their nerves are stimulated. Lastly, after you euthanize your fish, place it in the freezer to ensure death.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instructions for pure Clove Oil are:

• Put 3 drops with a half pint of water and shake very well, so the oil and water make a fusion - otherwise the oil will just float on top of the water and for the euthanasia to work the fish has to get the oil into its system.
• Add the mixture to the water that the fish is in (1 gallon of water should be more than enough) and stir it around slowly with your hand. The fish should become lethargic and sleepy. When the fish goes "belly up" it is asleep - not dead.
• Then add 3 more drops of clove oil. Add another mixture of 2 to 3 drops of oil in water.
• The fish feels nothing, it is very peaceful and humane.
• Don't make the mistake of thinking that if you initially put more in it will act quicker - it will only freak the fish out - it has to be done gradually so the fish doesn't notice the change in the water.
• The whole procedure should take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. You will know when the fish is completely dead because there will be absolutely no movement of the gills. If after an hour the fishes gills are still moving you could add a couple more drops of clove oil. Sometimes it does depend on the size of the fish to how many drops of clove oil are needed.
• Properly dispose of the deceased fish and wash treatment container thoroughly with soap and water.

Sorry :-(

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I doing the right thing? I just don't see them recovering. I guess I just need to come to grips with the guilt. The CB was the very first fish I bought and had made it to within a week of getting out of the "hospital".

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I doing the right thing? I just don't see them recovering. I guess I just need to come to grips with the guilt. The CB was the very first fish I bought and had made it to within a week of getting out of the "hospital".

How long have they been blind?

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been blind?

Went back to my previous posts to get dates. CB since about July 9. Wrasse since about late May. Seems like a long time for the Wrasse to survive. He doesn't react to movement, just like the CB. Maybe he's still scavenging? His stripes have faded almost completely - but he doesn't look as emaciated as the CB.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went back to my previous posts to get dates. CB since about July 9. Wrasse since about late May. Seems like a long time for the Wrasse to survive. He doesn't react to movement, just like the CB. Maybe he's still scavenging? His stripes have faded almost completely - but he doesn't look as emaciated as the CB.

I think I would go ahead & euthanize. I'm sorry... :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a fish survive 2 months w/o eating or do you think the Wrasse is just barely getting enough food to linger on?

Two months would really be pushing it. I once had a CBB survive 6 weeks without eating but that was the longest.

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I'll track down some clove oil tomorrow after work. I looked at the MS-222 but it will take up to 5 days to get here and cost almost $70.

I know this sounds morbid, but would there be any use in documenting the procedure for reference by others in the future?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the above clove oil "recipe" on several occasions. If they are super weak, there won't be much of a reaction, but sometimes they can look to really fight it. It's not that they are in pain or are trying to fight death, they are just struggling to keep themselves upright. It's a natural instinct. I've also used clove for sedation before procedures as well. Think of the struggle as a drunk person walking.

You should be able to find clove at the popular drugstores. I've found in the toothcare section around the tooth ache stuff, in the aromatherapy section next to the candles and Air Wicks and in the Beauty Supply section.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home from work this evening. Had stopped by Rite Aid and picked up some Clove Oil. Went to the HT and the CB was upside down "stuck" to the intake port of the HOB filter. It's just a 10 gallon tank and a small filter - the suction isn't that much. But he was so weak he couldn't break free. I turned off the pump and he drifted away, trying to swim but not able. Alive - but in very bad shape. So I quickly whipped up the Clove Oil mixture and started him on his way. He's knocked out now and starting on his second dose. I'm going to dose him a couple more times over the next 45 minutes or so. I didn't expect to have to rush into this tonight so I wasn't able to get things set up to document it. But bringing him peace is more important than making a "study" out of him. So long, little fella!

Last edited:

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use diphenhydramine as a means of sedation/euthanasia as well. 1-5mg in 1L of tank water should be sufficient.

OP
OP
Steve Jones

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gone on to a better place...

cb_better.jpg

aquablizz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever wrapped a fish in a napkin and placed it in the freezer?? That is how I have euthanasia fish in the past.. I hope it was humane..

blizz

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back