Evaporation rate consistant throughout the year?

iunknown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys notice the evaporation rates staying the same throughout the year. I'm thinking about ordering a top-off dosing pump and was wondering if it will be set-it and forget it type of thing.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice I get a little more evap in the summer and winter months. Spring and fall are a little less. I attribute it to the AC and Furnace drawing the moisture out of the air in the winter and summer.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is deiniftely not the same, due to heating in winter and cooling in summer.

Why not go with an ATO system (with a sensor/float/etc.)? When using an ATO system it doesn't matter how much is evoprating, as the sensor tells the pump to turn on when it's low and pump water in the sump... you just have to be aware of evaporation rates if your running top-off water with or through Kalk.

If not, I'd suggest the good ole fashion "drip" route. I did it for years with great success. You could do it with a dosing pump, but I couldn't justify the price as dripping would be the same thing with equipment you already have...

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine changes big time during the summer month. right now i am loosing more then 6 gallons a day. 3 months ago it was not more then 4.

i use an ATO and i never think about it any more

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah mine changes constantly too. Now I evap even more since adding a dehumidifier to my basement. It started to get really saturated down there and was almost like 70%.

copester

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where I live I lose more in the winter due to the dryer air.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stays pretty close all yr but I do change the times my lights run is the summer so it keeps the house cooler

drew.michael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
evaporation all depends on the conditions within your home. I keep my home consant most of the year with ac and heat. An ATO unit was and has to be by far hands down the best thing i have EVER bought for my reef!

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lose more water during the colder months due to the dry air from heating the house during the late fall, winter and early spring.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stays pretty close all yr but I do change the times my lights run is the summer so it keeps the house cooler

I have done the same thing. My lights do not turn on now till almost 3:30 because the hottest part of the day is 2. When you wake up at 6 am and it is already 85 out, it is going to be a HOT day. Gotta love Florida. I just use an ATO and check the 5 gallon bucket every other day. It use to take 2 days to drain the bucket. ow it is about 3 1/2 days. That is a lot for a 28 gallon tank.

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it fluctuates all year long, and thats the problem with people dosing kalk with there ATO, there dosing regimen changes day by day.

OP
OP
I

iunknown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm transitioning from a freshwater system where the only thing in the tank was a glass input and output pipe to the different design philosophies of salt water aquariums.

I've got a canister filter (A big issue for me has always been sound, I'd rather have silence), so the ATO would mean another item in the tank. The dosing pump I'm designing runs under $80. I don't know what will bother me more, adjusting the flow rate on the pump, or having another visible item in the tank.

I've recently installed a surface skimmer to the canister filter, and like it. So my ideal is slowly changing as I learn more about reef systems.

APT Instruments
SP200FO 1/8"ID tubing (3.0mm) @ 30 RPM Norprene tubing = 15 mL/min
$82
500 mL/15 mL/min= around 30 min/4 so 8 min four times a day.

092906_20_gallonb.jpg

IMG_3633_low.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back