evaporation rates

familyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is about 1 gal / day on a 135 gal tank. I added an RODI under the sink and ran a supply line to a float switch in the sump. No more worries!

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 125 (3-250W DE's and VHO's, and PC's over the connected frag tank, but also a chiller) I lose about 4 gallons a day (~140 total gallons). I lose about 3 gallons a day on the 120 (2-175W MH-no chiller ~150 total gallons). About a gallon a week on a 10 with PC's, about 1 gpd on the 20L with 175W MH, and about 3 gallons a week on a 20L with VHO's.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lose about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon a day on a total system of about 60 gallons

i think its safe to say that will jump up a little bit when you get those MH's installed ;)

as for the float switches. thats pretty risky. i dont know anyone who hasn't had a float switch malfunction. and only people i know who use them, have at least 2 set at different levels just in case the first one fails. the reason why they fail so easily is the saltcreep or a small snail that makes them get stuck.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 gallon on 10g and less than a cup full a day on the 5.5g.....seeing as i have the smallest tanks on the forum. lol

Steve :D

familyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a 24gpd unit. I am a true fish geek and I am always piddling with the tank. I don't think it would get away from me. I do have several close friends with tanks and when one goes on vacation the others look in on the tanks.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thsoe of you who are under a gallon a day of evaporation a day (or have very little for their size tank), do you have a skimmer? and what type of lights?

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now my tank is only half covered by a hood...my new hood completely covers the tank...but I am upping the lights to MH...will I lose more or less???

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now my tank is only half covered by a hood...my new hood completely covers the tank...but I am upping the lights to MH...will I lose more or less???

you will get a little more evaporation with those lights obviously, maybe even more if you had to add a fan to keep the air circulating above the tank, which you have to do in most cases with MH's.

kpax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 1 gallon a day but it seems like it started to incresae here recently witht the weather changes up here.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky and have avoided a float switch malfunction, but I do have a redundant switch just in case. I know many who have not been so lucky, though... Usually on long weekends or vacations.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back