ever seen one do this

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my trumpet coral is groing to fast i thank should i stop feeding it?

039.jpg

019.jpg

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great pic, I have seen that before in brains and elegance but not a trumpet.

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen this before in a trumpet i had that was hanging from some fishing string. it grew so big that it came close to some other corals and i believe the dripping occured due to interactions between corals. i can't remember what corals were near the trumpet tho

what corals are near it?

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have done some diggin and have found my old pics. I remember now that the hanging trumpet was moved closer to that slimer acro. When I got that trumpet it was the size of a matchhead and that slimer was pinkie size... awww the memories... wait not so good now remember my hair algae probs with that 10 gallon!!!
DSC01106-1.jpg

DSC01061-1.jpg

DSC01063-1.jpg

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reminds me about a zombie movie a watched where people would melt like that.

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happen several times with my Trumpet. The skeleton gets bumped and breaks inside the polyp. The soft tissue continues to grow but is weighted down by the broken skeleton inside, giving it the strech appearance. I cut the tissue with scissors and removed the broken piece and the Trumpet will heal back to normal.

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, and yes growing fast makes the skeleton softer and easier to break, so that does have something to do with it as well.

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting insight, that makes a lot of sense, i might have bumped mine when i moved it... i just remember thinking when it happened that it looked like my trumpet and acro were fighting but i guess they coulda just been close together

i agree that they are isolated broken calcium deposits and it totally makes sense that they could be formed initially through damage but do you think there could be any other cause for this (like the chemical warefare thing or maybe light)?

OP
OP
bigkai

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that does make sense i glued it to that rock and it may have got bumped when i was trying to get it to stay on their so should i let it go as is or cut it off?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back