Ever wanted to take action after an ICP test, but didn't have the right products on hand?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[updated Jan 24, 2022]

I did a thing! I was reading over on another thread earlier today after searching for info on how much of something to dose after receiving a recent ICP-Analysis test. The issue was, my ICP Analysis tells me how much I need to dose to get to the target levels, but the real problem is that I don't have the brand of additives it was suggesting, I have other brands. This thread details some work that @jzw did along with @ReefTeacher to figure out the concentrations of various manufacturers and then do conversions across them all so you'd know how much to dose using any given brand, using any given ICP test recommendations. It was fairly straightforward for most, but for Triton, they had to actually use real Triton ICP results to extrapolate how concentrated the Triton elements are, since Triton doesn't publish that info.

I turned it into a calculator, which I'm attaching here, and did some work to track down the rest of the conversions for all the brands that produce the trace elements most ICP tests track. Added traditional dosing calculators, and added a guide for min/max/target ranges for dosing traces. It's locked, so the only thing that can be changed is the inputs on the calculator side (so that the formulas don't get inadvertently messed up). Thinking of turning it into a webpage. Anyways, screenshot below, and you can try it out right now:

Download the calculator.

Any edits I make, with your input, will automatically update the file linked above. So head back to this post for the latest version at any given time. If you have some Triton results that indicate your aquarium is deficient in the elements listed in orange in the below table, please post your results here so we can help fill in these gaps in the data.

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 1.59.49 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I suggest a water change would fix all the problems with no dosing.
Yeah, that's what I thought--I had done two 25% changes in the month before I sent the test in (tank is small, so there's no reason not to), so when I got the results back and saw that some of the more important traces were zero, I started fishing around the forums. Got sidetracked and made the calculator. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that's what I thought--I had done two 25% changes in the month before I sent the test in (tank is small, so there's no reason not to), so when I got the results back and saw that some of the more important traces were zero, I started fishing around the forums. Got sidetracked and made the calculator. :)
The calculator is awesome:)

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water changes won't keep up with a well stocked Growing coral reef because theirs going to be different uptake of elements throughout out the day and weeks. this wasn't the case years ago and people would just say do a water change now with various water test out there you can track what elements are being used up. of course there are reefers out there who could care less on icp test .

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
water changes won't keep up with a well stocked Growing coral reef because theirs going to be different uptake of elements throughout out the day and weeks. this wasn't the case years ago and people would just say do a water change now with various water test out there you can track what elements are being used up. of course there are reefers out there who could care less on icp test .
one problem is that - lets take Iron. The ICP test does not measure the needed amount. etc etc. If you want to does stuff - all good. Is it necessary (not sure - I have not dosed anything - nor send an ICP test) - Maybe my tank would be better if I had - IDK

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
triton and ati recommend a dosage using their products. you can use this calculator above if ur dosing non triton and ati products which is really cool ! also you can use moonshiners dosing calculator which is similar to this calculator here . I have done 1 triton test and 2 ati test in the past 6months and I can say it has helped my corals and overall growth and coloration. I prefer the ati icp test as it test RO and your tank water .

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
triton and ati recommend a dosage using their products. you can use this calculator above if ur dosing non triton and ati products which is really cool ! also you can use moonshiners dosing calculator which is similar to this calculator here . I have done 1 triton test and 2 ati test in the past 6months and I can say it has helped my corals and overall growth and coloration. I prefer the ati icp test as it test RO and your tank water .
Curious what have you found the most beneficial?

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try that one. I recently did ICP-Analysis.com. It's great because they show several products you can dose to get to the target level, but none of the ones they suggested were products that I had.
thanks for hooking your fellow reefers up!!
For sure--will work on filling it out more in coming weeks to capture the traces we dose most often. And if anyone has Triton results that have suggested doses for elements not in this table, hit me up! I need that data.

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated with most traces (use same link above). Now just tracking down missing Triton concentrations for 9 elements. Then it will be done! (If you have a Triton ICP result where it asked you to dose Boron, Cobalt, Sulphur, Iron, Fluorine, Barium, Molybdenum, Rubidium, or Chromium, please share a copy of the report--that's all I will need.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I would never recommend bothering to dose some of the things on this list, such as barium. It has no known biological benefit. I'd also not dose lithium, rubidium, and I'd personally not dose strontium either.

davsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated with most traces (use same link above). Now just tracking down missing Triton concentrations for 9 elements. Then it will be done! (If you have a Triton ICP result where it asked you to dose Boron, Cobalt, Sulphur, Iron, Fluorine, Barium, Molybdenum, Rubidium, or Chromium, please share a copy of the report--that's all I will need.

Attachments

• Lounge - 12_17_2021 (B-l62L5y).pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s boron sulphur and moly
Awesome! Confirming your tank is 525L? To complete the calculations, I also need the recommendations of how much Triton recommended you dose to correct the levels. Should be under the "help" or "dose" tabs ... if it was significant enough to merit dosing.

davsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Confirming your tank is 525L? To complete the calculations, I also need the recommendations of how much Triton recommended you dose to correct the levels. Should be under the "help" or "dose" tabs ... if it was significant enough to merit dosing.
It’s a 525 but probably around 480lts

Attachments

• F0DFCB36-DC32-4568-BB22-1304216793F0.png
    F0DFCB36-DC32-4568-BB22-1304216793F0.png
    315.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 41E419C8-20A3-43EA-B412-97DC71076A6A.png
    41E419C8-20A3-43EA-B412-97DC71076A6A.png
    317.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 09B507CD-1F75-4D1B-9813-CCE1E6FE495C.png
    09B507CD-1F75-4D1B-9813-CCE1E6FE495C.png
    324 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I would never recommend bothering to dose some of the things on this list, such as barium. It has no known biological benefit. I'd also not dose lithium, rubidium, and I'd personally not dose strontium either.
It's just my OCD to document them. :) Thanks--I'm going to continue to work on it and add notes like this (what to generally avoid dosing, what to exercise extreme caution with, etc.) as well as citations for the impacts various traces have on the aquarium, max dosages per day, etc.

Last edited:

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was set for them at 550L

triton moly1.JPG

triton moly1a.JPG

..........................................................................................................................................................

triton sulphur1.JPG

triton sulphur1a.JPG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back