Ever wanted to take action after an ICP test, but didn't have the right products on hand?

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I would never recommend bothering to dose some of the things on this list, such as barium. It has no known biological benefit. I'd also not dose lithium, rubidium, and I'd personally not dose strontium either.
Don't you need strontium for good sps growth not sure about the other elements. Btw my lavender tang just dragged a coral for me...

OP
OP
Jonify

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some big updates today. Added traditional dosing calculators, added an elements dosing guide for min, max, and target ranges for each trace element (based on Triton recommendations, compared against ICP-Analysis, Aquaforest, and Fauna Marin suggested ranges), and added product sheets for each manufacturer, which links to the specific product included in this calculator so you can verify the dosage instructions yourself. Calculation formulas are included on each page so you can check my work and reproduce the results. Next up is 1) incorporating suggested max doses per day for each element, 2) adding citations for each trace element's impact/biological benefit (or lack thereof) on the reef aquarium, and 3) incorporating a visual indicator for how hazardous dosing any certain element may be. Updated file is linked in the post at the top of this thread.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[updated Jan 24, 2022]

I did a thing! I was reading over on another thread earlier today after searching for info on how much of something to dose after receiving a recent ICP-Analysis test. The issue was, my ICP Analysis tells me how much I need to dose to get to the target levels, but the real problem is that I don't have the brand of additives it was suggesting, I have other brands. This thread details some work that @jzw did along with @ReefTeacher to figure out the concentrations of various manufacturers and then do conversions across them all so you'd know how much to dose using any given brand, using any given ICP test recommendations. It was fairly straightforward for most, but for Triton, they had to actually use real Triton ICP results to extrapolate how concentrated the Triton elements are, since Triton doesn't publish that info.

I turned it into a calculator, which I'm attaching here, and did some work to track down the rest of the conversions for all the brands that produce the trace elements most ICP tests track. Added traditional dosing calculators, and added a guide for min/max/target ranges for dosing traces. It's locked, so the only thing that can be changed is the inputs on the calculator side (so that the formulas don't get inadvertently messed up). Thinking of turning it into a webpage. Anyways, screenshot below, and you can try it out right now:

Download the calculator.

Any edits I make, with your input, will automatically update the file linked above. So head back to this post for the latest version at any given time. If you have some Triton results that indicate your aquarium is deficient in the elements listed in orange in the below table, please post your results here so we can help fill in these gaps in the data.

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 1.59.49 AM.png
Nice work guys!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you need strontium for good sps growth not sure about the other elements. Btw my lavender tang just dragged a coral for me...

I have seen no evidence that it is useful, or necessary, either in the scientific literature or in any sort of actual test by hobbyists. There's a mistaken belief that just because something is incorporated into a skeleton, that it is useful or necessary, but abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate incorporates a similar amount of strontium.

joaocdestro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I suggest a water change would fix all the problems with no dosing.
I disagree because some salts do not have the extreme precision that ICP brings to US. Some salts do not have some desired traces. Actually, I'm using a natural salt from New Caledonia, and I felt lithium and vanadium depleted X ICP desired levels...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree because some salts do not have the extreme precision that ICP brings to US. Some salts do not have some desired traces. Actually, I'm using a natural salt from New Caledonia, and I felt lithium and vanadium depleted X ICP desired levels...

FWIW, lithium is of no concern, high or low. IMO, there's no reason to ever dose it.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen no evidence that it is useful, or necessary, either in the scientific literature or in any sort of actual test by hobbyists. There's a mistaken belief that just because something is incorporated into a skeleton, that it is useful or necessary, but abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate incorporates a similar amount of strontium.
ok how bout iron and potassium ? is that something that corals need or not/ im going off by other tanks that do icp .test most of them look healthy and growing . thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok how bout iron and potassium ? is that something that corals need or not/ im going off by other tanks that do icp .test most of them look healthy and growing . thanks

those are used by most every living organism, as best I know. :)

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
watching! i just sent my ICP test in today... thinking of doing this yearly or every 6mo just to be on the safe side since i don't do WC's.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course they don't. Some salts are very depleted of several elements while others have elements that are very high out of target ranges.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jonify, would you like me to get some data on Triton's Colbalt, Iron, Barium, and Chromium since they don't publish that info.? They don’t test for Fluoride or Vanadium.

Let me know. ;)

Last edited:

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for doing this. This saves me about 20 minutes of manual calculations a month! :)

SWANY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Jonify. I just stumbled on this thread as I was looking for conversions having bought some partially used trace elements online. I use Fauna Marin for my ICP and have obtained Triton (which you have somewhat covered) and Reef Zlements trace elements. I've collected values for Fauna Marin and Reef Zlements - would it be possible for you to add to the calculator? Cheers if so.

Fauna Marin:

Iodine1 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +10 µg iodine /liter#
Strontium2 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +2 mg strontium/liter
Bromine10 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +10 mg bromine/liter
Potassium10 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = 10 mg pottasium
Manganese1 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +4 µg manganese /liter
Lithium1 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +15 µg lithium /liter
Vanadium1 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +5 µg vanadium /liter
Nickel1 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +4 µg Nickel / L
Zinc1 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +10 µg zinc/liter
Boron15 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +1 mg boron/liter
Cobalt1 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +4 µg cobalt /liter
Sulfurn/a
Iron1 ml /100 L (26 US gal) = +4 µg / L
Flourine10 ml /100 L (26 US gal) = + 0,2 mg / L
Barium10 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +5 µg barium /liter
Molybdenum1 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +6 µg molybdenum /liter
Rubidiumn/a
Chromium1 ml /100 Liter (26 US gal) = +0,5 µg chrome /liter

Reef Zlements:

Iodine1 ml of Iodine Zlement increases the Iodine concentration of 100 litres by 100 µg/l.
Strontium10 ml of Strontium Zlement increases the Strontium concentration of 100 litres by 1 mg/l.
Bromine10 ml of Bromine Zlement increases the Bromine concentration of 100 litres by 5 mg/l.
Potassium10 ml of Potassium Zlement increases the Potassium concentration of 100 litres by 10 mg/l.
Manganese1 ml of Manganese Zlement increases the Manganese concentration of 100 litres by 2 µg/l
Lithium1 ml of Lithium Zlement increases the Lithium concentration of 100 litres by 15 µg/l.
Vanadium1 ml of Vanadium Zlement increases the Vanadium concentration of 100 litres by 6 µg/l.
Nickel1 ml of Nickel Zlement increases the Nickel concentration of 100 litres by 2 μg/l
Zinc1 ml of Zinc Zlement increases the Zinc concentration of 100 litres by 2 µg/l
Boron20 ml of Boron Zlement increases the Boron concentration of 100 litres by 1 mg/l.
Cobalt1 ml of Cobalt Zlement increases the Cobalt concentration of 100 litres by 2 µg/l.
Sulfur10 ml of Sulphur Zlement increases the Sulphur concentration of 100 litres by ~3.5 mg/l.
Iron1 ml of Iron Zlement increases the Iron concentration of 100 litres by 2 μg/l.
Flourine10 ml of Fluorine Zlement increases the Fluorine concentration of 100 litres by 0.2 mg/l
Barium1 ml of Barium Zlement increases the Barium concentration of 100 litres by 1 μg/l.
Molybdenum1 ml of Molybdenum Zlement increases the Molybdenum concentration of 100 litres by 2 µg/l
Rubidiumn/a
Chromium1 ml of Chomium Zlement increases the Chromium concentration of 100 litres by 2 µg/l

Note.
Source for the above are UK online shops.

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I found it's that the Vanadium and Boron concentration on Triton is not correct.
Unless it change its concertation. I double checked vanadium between Triton and ATI dosing suggestion.
Triton Vanadium should be 1000 mg/L

Back