Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I need some pro advice.
Everyone seems happy but my zoas.
I have a 32 Coralife stock cube.
Algae mostly just on the glass.
I run Purigen, floss and ceramic bioballs in the 2nd compartment.
Alk 8.60 Hanna
Phos 0.09 Hanna
Ca2 460 API
Temp 78 Inkbird
I love zoas ! Any advice or other questions would be helpful
20220312_132101.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I need some pro advice.
Everyone seems happy but my zoas.
I have a 32 Coralife stock cube.
Algae mostly just on the glass.
I run Purigen, floss and ceramic bioballs in the 2nd compartment.
Alk 8.60 Hanna
Phos 0.09 Hanna
Ca2 460 API
Temp 78 Inkbird
I love zoas ! Any advice or other questions would be helpful
20220312_132101.jpg

what's your magnesium. nitrate and pH?

zoas seem to do better in slightly 'dirty' tank with nitrates 20 or so and mine are explosive because I thaw frozen fish food and feed it to them - fish love getting leftovers that float away (count it as a 'fish' meal but just direct it to your zoas that time)

It could also be timing - your tank doesn't show much/any coralline or algae in photo so maybe it's just patience

My Rainbow Infusion zoas took at least 6 weeks to just settle in... even color was wrong during that whole time... drove me CRAZY (felt like store cheated me - SO GLAD I SAID NOTHING TO ANYONE BECAUSE they they turned a corner and have been explosive growers... my little 2-3 head frag now is 10" across and as wide as rock allows - couldn't begin to guess how many zoa heads now are there. Now they even look better than store's mother colony. Now I've another unnamed zoa that's orange and has remained 2 heads for year+ ... sometimes its just the particular zoa so trying out a couple different ones and see what takes in your tank

patience can be the magic in this hobby. patience can be hard for me

OP
OP
bxclent

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's your magnesium. nitrate and pH?

zoas seem to do better in slightly 'dirty' tank with nitrates 20 or so and mine are explosive because I thaw frozen fish food and feed it to them - fish love getting leftovers that float away (count it as a 'fish' meal but just direct it to your zoas that time)

It could also be timing - your tank doesn't show much/any coralline or algae in photo so maybe it's just patience

My Rainbow Infusion zoas took at least 6 weeks to just settle in... even color was wrong during that whole time... drove me CRAZY (felt like store cheated me - SO GLAD I SAID NOTHING TO ANYONE BECAUSE they they turned a corner and have been explosive growers... my little 2-3 head frag now is 10" across and as wide as rock allows - couldn't begin to guess how many zoa heads now are there. Now they even look better than store's mother colony. Now I've another unnamed zoa that's orange and has remained 2 heads for year+ ... sometimes its just the particular zoa so trying out a couple different ones and see what takes in your tank

patience can be the magic in this hobby. patience can be hard for me
My coraline is starting to come in on the back and rocks.
All tests (Hanna) are in the good zone. The tank is about 5 months old. I will try to be patient. I would just hate myself if I kill the little critters

OP
OP
bxclent

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coraline is starting to come in on the back and rocks.
All tests (Hanna) are in the good zone. The tank is about 5 months old. I will try to be patient. I would just hate myself if I kill the little critters
I also do a 20 % water change every 2 weeks and salinity is right on the mark

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep zoa's. I've tried, can't figure it out. Wish I could they are my favorite coral. I'll just keep stylophora as it's taken over my rocks or trumpet or hammer that have a bagillion heads. Also can't keep acans

OP
OP
bxclent

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep zoa's. I've tried, can't figure it out. Wish I could they are my favorite coral. I'll just keep stylophora as it's taken over my rocks or trumpet or hammer that have a bagillion heads. Also can't keep acans
I love them too. It's frustrating when everything else seems done.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting seems to be not enough and I don’t see a powerhead for flow. Your top zoas are stretching for light same with your Xenia. Zoas don’t really require good amount lighting but do require something decent at least 50 par lights. I think the stock is not even providing that.

OP
OP
bxclent

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Lighting seems to be not enough and I don’t see a powerhead for flow. Your top zoas are stretching for light same with your Xenia. Zoas don’t really require good amount lighting but do require something decent at least 50 par lights. I think the stock is not even providing that.
Hello, I have a Hygger(sp?) Powerhead. As for lighting, many people seem to have good luck with the same lighting. I admit that it's a tone balance between algae growth and what the corals like. The Xenia is happy now. I had just brought it home when I took the pic. Thank you !

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same on my first light until I got a par meter and it turns out I’m running a dud. Your might be the same thing. Zoas don’t stretch like that unless lack of light.

OP
OP
bxclent

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same on my first light until I got a par meter and it turns out I’m running a dud. Your might be the same thing. Zoas don’t stretch like that unless lack of light.

Bummer ! I am going to move them up tomorrow, closer to the light source for now. I really can't afford to buy an AI 16 right now. I wish Coralife sold an upgraded light system that retro fits on the 32 Biocube

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer ! I am going to move them up tomorrow, closer to the light source for now. I really can't afford to buy an AI 16 right now. I wish Coralife sold an upgraded light system that retro fits on the 32 Biocube
The upgraded light system should be good for soft corals, don’t really need ai prime if you want to keep easy corals low maintenance tank. I saw someone selling on Facebook market place.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree lighting looks suspect in this image. It looks dark and your Zoas and your clove polyps are stretching. How many watts are above it? I have 120W over my 20g.

edit I see its a biocube stock light. Yeah that’s mediocre to poor at best.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several 3rd party options but you’d be best served going with one of the tried and true coral light brands. AI/Kessel/Ecotech/etc

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back