Everyone wants something different for dinner...

Rob1208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little ecosystem has some picky eaters. So far, I have 6 fish in my 90-gallon and they all seem to want to eat something different. Here's what I have and what they eat:

LFS Clown (4.5 months in tank) - He goes nuts for pellets, but will eat a bit of frozen mysis. hates seaweed extreme
LFS Gladiator Clown (4 months in tank) - He loves pellets and has started to love mysis
BIOTA Yellow Tang (3 months in tank) - total pig... eats everything... eats algae all day
BIOTA Royal Gramma (3 months in tank) - total pig... eats everything
Dr. Reef Orange Spotted Blenny (11 days) - Loves mysis, but that's about it. I haven't seen him eat any algae yet :(
Dr. Reef Bengaii Cardinalfish (11 days) - looks at pellets with distain and will only eat mysis
2 on the way from Dr. Reef - Red Head Solon Wrasse and Sptingeri Damsel

Here's what we're serving:
Dry: TDO Chroma Boost, Seaweed Extreme, DKI Marine - I have some Masstick 14 but only tried it once, Nori has been unsuccessful due to fish fear of the Gourmet Gadget Grazer
Frozen: Hikari Spurlina Mysis, Piscine Energetics Canadian Mysis (some of these are HUGE), Thinking of adding frozen brine shrimp
Supplements a few times per week: Kent Marine Garlic Extreme, Kent Marine Zoe

Feeding Cycle:
I find myself feeding a mix of pellets first, then (after the pellets are gone) adding in some mysis for the new guys.
I feed once per day, which I think will have to change. I have an automatic feeder, but haven't tried it. I may start autofeeding pellets in the early afternoon and then frozen food in the evening.

This is long-winded, but here are my questions:
1. Is there anything missing from the diet that I should address?
2. Will the new guys come around on pellets? I hate the idea of only feeding pellets for a few days and forcing them to eat...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Garlic, selcon and amino acids (all optional, but I find it benefits fish health).
2. Eventually, maybe. When I placed mine on an auto-feeder that seemed to do the trick for a lot of them (eventually they figured out that it was the "cool" thing all the other fish did).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back