OP
OP
jvolkel

jvolkel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stress coat and new fw lowered the o2 in the tank?
Sesame Street Idk GIF

OP
OP
jvolkel

jvolkel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a protein skimmer? I'm a bit.more.old school sorry.
D
I have a Red Devil Skimmer that I could not get working right. I found some tips on R2R and am trying to get it set up. So far it is looking like it is working, getting some brown gook in collector head, but worried about overflows so I only leave on during the day when I am around to watch it.

OP
OP
jvolkel

jvolkel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check your salinity. You should top off everyday or every other day dont top that much at once.

Did you spray anything in the air in the room or a room adjacent to it? Airisol chemicals will mess up a tank very quickly.
will adjust topping off routine, but nothing was sprayed in the room, as far as I know.??

OP
OP
jvolkel

jvolkel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 gallons of rodi at once on 30 gallons of tankwater (36 minus rock/sand etcetera), who told you this is a good idea?
That's a 6% salinity change at once. I won't say that's lethal persé but it's a big uppercut to all life in the tank and could be the cause of all the deaths.

Good auto top offs dose each hour a couple of mills.
Thanks.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will adjust topping off routine, but nothing was sprayed in the room, as far as I know.??
Glad nothing was sprayed that is always a horror story that gets told. My son/wife/husband sprayed febreeze and the tank died the next day. Doesn't always happen but it can.

Still not convinced that it was the water top off. Maybe your tank overheated overnight or something? I'm always scared of a rogue heater.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1 - Get yourself one of these and save the headache. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Step 2 - Change your avatar to something living. ;)

Plant Growth Animation GIF by The Explainer Studio

OP
OP
jvolkel

jvolkel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad nothing was sprayed that is always a horror story that gets told. My son/wife/husband sprayed febreeze and the tank died the next day. Doesn't always happen but it can.

Still not convinced that it was the water top off. Maybe your tank overheated overnight or something? I'm always scared of a rogue heater.
It is very strange. I have no heaters - I live in mid Florida and keep house at 77 to 80 degrees all year. I think it was from shock of giving a full dose all at once. One fish survived (Pajama Cardinal) and is doing fine so far. Zoa came back and GSP still looks bad. My friend gave me 2 Clowns and a Damsel Fish to replace lost guys and after 3 days they are still doing well also. I did do a partial water change (about 15%) also. I am hoping that things stay well and will do any future dosings (but probably not Stress Coat!) in small steps. Thanks for your help.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping salinity a few points wouldn’t shock the fish to the point of death, fish can rapidly go into hyposalinity, it’s raising salinity that needs to be done very gradually.

My guess would be disease of some kind if the fish were not properly QTd, something like velvet can wipe a tank out before you even know what’s going on.

that or the no heater thing.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you watch Bulk Reef Supply videos on pertinent topics on YouTube. Also, read Ron Reefman's articles here. The number one thing in this hobby is to go slow.. You have added too many fish too fast in an unstable system. Suggest you quarantine and purchase
the Tunze 3155 ATO. See Jay Hemdal thread here for procedures.

Last edited by a moderator:

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others said the BRS videos are a great introduction to the ins and outs of being successful.

also I’ve never heard of people running reef tanks with no heater, maybe in a tiny desktop tank it’s ok with ambient room temperature, but a 30g tank is a heatsink and seems like it’s going to be hard to maintain a consistent temperature as high as the rooms, esp at night. Go grab a $20 eheim jager for your reboot!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly certain your avatar isn’t what crashed the reef, likely the rushing and lack of knowledge. Like others said the BRS videos are a great introduction to the ins and outs of being successful.

also I’ve never heard of people running reef tanks with no heater, maybe in a tiny desktop tank it’s ok with ambient room temperature, but a 30g tank is a heatsink and seems like it’s going to be hard to maintain a consistent temperature as high as the rooms, esp at night. Go grab a $20 eheim jager for your reboot!
I agree with this.... also how do we know the temp is correct? Is there at least a thermometer in the tank?

Iant419

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just now so depressed. Had my new 36 gal aquarium for about 3 months now and it looked like it was coming along OK. Added a Green Star Polyp about 2 months ago and a Zoa about 1 month ago. Also had a Clown, 2 Pajama Cardinals, 2 Bangaii (?) Cardinals and a firefish - all doing seemingly well. I did lose 2 small clowns bought on-line about 3 weeks ago, but others looked good. Had a run of brown algae which went away, then started getting green algae. Did a few partial water changes along the way, cut back on light duration and intensity, and the chemistry numbers have been constantly good. Yesterday, I topped off with 2 gals of RODI water and then put in 3 capfuls of API Marine Stress Coat and today everything was dead - fish and soft corals. Chemistry and temp (I live in Florida) all look fine. Any guess as to what happened?
Just pouring in ?
I am just now so depressed. Had my new 36 gal aquarium for about 3 months now and it looked like it was coming along OK. Added a Green Star Polyp about 2 months ago and a Zoa about 1 month ago. Also had a Clown, 2 Pajama Cardinals, 2 Bangaii (?) Cardinals and a firefish - all doing seemingly well. I did lose 2 small clowns bought on-line about 3 weeks ago, but others looked good. Had a run of brown algae which went away, then started getting green algae. Did a few partial water changes along the way, cut back on light duration and intensity, and the chemistry numbers have been constantly good. Yesterday, I topped off with 2 gals of RODI water and then put in 3 capfuls of API Marine Stress Coat and today everything was dead - fish and soft corals. Chemistry and temp (I live in Florida) all look fine. Any guess as to what happened?
Adding just 2 gallons of RODI all at once in a small tank like that will noticably change PH, Salinity, alk, calc, temp all at once. Maybe not by much but you have frags that are already stressed just because they are young frags in an immature tank. Do everything slowly especially in a small tank and especially with frags.

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an adventure reef keeper and learner - 2 g rodi in system can not be fatal to fish. I have had an accident and a knee jerk reaction on my 250 where I brought down my salinity from 53 to 35 in 2 hours - yes bad Instrument

not has to be something else - curious

Back