EVO Xll Mini Reef - Fluval 13.5 - RCP Build

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI Prime HD is definitively the best option for this size reef, is in moments like this I wish to go back in time to recover all the equipment purchased at the beginning.

At this time Im only missing the Tunze Turbelle Nano and a Red Sea Foundation test kit; no rush until I install the lights

Do you keep a blog here for the Fluval @jfoahs04 ?
You will like the results of the 16hds. I run them on 4 tanks and 3 systems. This is my 7 month old 20g 18" nano cube.
Can't wait to see this system up and running.
20220827_091612.jpg

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will like the results of the 16hds. I run them on 4 tanks and 3 systems. This is my 7 month old 20g 18" nano cube.
Can't wait to see this system up and running.
20220827_091612.jpg

Very nice!!!…. Im familiar with the Primes, I think aside from the price, they are one of the best options even if it is overkill for this size reef.

The current marine light fixture is perfect size for this tank (I had it on my EVO 5 and was able to sustain SPS corals at 65% intensity), so things like this or the Tunze Turbelle that I bought originally for this build, will be downgraded for something of a lower value but able to produce the expected result :)

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be the long way home….

Hoping to complete the cycle on day 12,13; will do a 50% water change from the surface and avoiding to let air get to the rock level on day 15; will introduce Coraline purple and pink strains the same week along with a small Percula and will add copepods a few days after. The flow pump will be installed the same week; The cover will be removed on day 30 but the lights will remain off for a at least another month. No corals or additional fish will be introduced until the lights are turned on.

I hope to have enough patience to accomplish this

:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 12
With all three doses of Ammonium Chloride, I’m calling it 0.4 ppm

B0F645B4-084D-464E-BF9E-B0DBB2607C30.jpeg

We are getting close guys!

Going to my local fish store on Wednesday to get the Coral Pro Salt Mix and a PAR meter

Ordering Copepods the same day

Moving along!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 14
CYCLED!!! :face-with-tongue:

54821DE1-D26E-40E0-AC3E-BF5018B5C130.jpeg

The program works!!!, not in the exact order but it does! Never before had done a 14 day cycle.

Doing a 25% water change tomorrow and adjusting for NO2,NO3

Pretty happy today boys!!!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 17
25% Water change
Added first dose of MB7
Installed Hydor Aqamai flow pump

61094101-CA53-437C-9840-1053BDB86FEB.jpeg

5C33D71F-1DEF-4991-BAED-0F0CCE83039F.jpeg

Settled for the inexpensive option and decided to pick the Soft Coral 15/30 50Litter preset setting. The initial setup has a conflict between WiFi and Blue Tooth, but with a little patience was added successfully.

I did all this at night, so will have to keep an eye during the day to make sure they are optimal.

Copepods scheduled to arrive Tue/Wed and a couple Small perculas a couple days after.

Moving along!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 20
Meet Lalo and Lola; Mr and Mrs Stubby

480CA6E3-1D20-43A6-B37C-5BB45E408F50.jpeg

Orders got a bit shuffled, wanted to add the Pods before these guys got here, but no biggie. Took some browsing around to find the Stubby Percula Clowns, so I grabbed them as soon as I found them (We’ll watch them get chubby as they mature).

Pods arriving on Thursday (Day 22)

Cut the cardboard cover to leave only the backing facing the window; will leave it until day 40 when the lights go on.

Apologies for the bad photo

Moving Along!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 21
Copepods Day
52939E76-C82B-4FE0-82AC-EB51C15919C7.jpeg

To think I used to despise pods; I hope the Zoanthids garden wont hate me for them

Lalo and Lola are finicky eaters, tried small and medium pellets, they grab the first and move away from the rest. Also tried frozen Mysis, they go for them right away but spit them right back. Will try Brine tonight.

May have to add some Hermit Crabs to pick up whatever they turn away (Visiting the store this afternoon).

Moving along!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 30
Biome Pseudo Sterile Cycle

Water Volume: 10 Gallons
10 lbs Caribseainc Arag-Alive Sand
9 lbs Reef Saver Marco rock
2 lbs BioHome Media
2 Stubby Oscelaris Clowns Ora farms
5200 Algae Barn Copepods
3 Nasarius Snails
3 Mexican Turbo Snails
3 Dwarf Blue Hermit crabs
All parameters in range
10% Water change weekly
20 Drops Micro Bacter 7 weekly
Lights off

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 34
Nothing major to report

After reading about inverts for a couple days, I realized most Snails are Hermaphrodite (So they would both end up impregnated with eggs at the same time), and so, made the choice to leave only one Large Nasarius Snail and 1 Large Mexican Turbo snail. It should suffice for the size of the reef.

It has been 15 days since the addition of the Copepods, still go late at night with the light to check for them and cant see a single one of them inside the chambers or crawling in the rock or sand…. I have decided to start a basic culture during the course of the week.

Moving along!

OP
OP
juanrmattos

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long update….

Day 107
Trained Gragons

Reef is very stable, Lights Off until day 120, 1 gallon water change weekly, glass cleaning every two weeks, have not submerged my hand once yet (Except the day I added the stream pump). Only dozing MB7 (1.5 Ml on water change day). Feeding Mysis, Baby Brine and Ciclopods+ alternating with Pellets in very small and small size. All parameters in range.

Moving along :)

Back