Examining the Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixture | BRStv Investigates

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like this fixture comes with 3 LED light brackets but I have 4 AI Hydra HD 26's on my reefer 750. So I need to purchase another led light bracket correct? Would anyone know which one I need to get?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like this fixture comes with 3 LED light brackets but I have 4 AI Hydra HD 26's on my reefer 750. So I need to purchase another led light bracket correct? Would anyone know which one I need to get?

Out of the box the Aquatic Life fixtures use 18" end plates, in which case you can pickup the 18" Rectangular Brackets :)

Jack22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to acclimate the tank to the addition of the T-5s? I’m going to turn my LED way down to start, but I’m still a little worried that I’m going to cook everything at the top of my tank if I just plug the T-5s in. Since the Aquatic Life fixture is not dimmable I’m not sure how to transition.

I have a 48x24x24 120 gallon tank. I’ve only ever used LED lights.

mpderksen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 61” unit and 4 ATI Blue Plus bulbs. The rebate was a very nice treat too! I have 3 AI HD 26 LEDs over a 72” tank. Where can I get specific help with LED spectrum settings for my application? Not just the AI sliders, but how high off the surface to mount the fixture when it arrives? Should I call into BRS tech support directly?

Michael

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 61” unit and 4 ATI Blue Plus bulbs. The rebate was a very nice treat too! I have 3 AI HD 26 LEDs over a 72” tank. Where can I get specific help with LED spectrum settings for my application? Not just the AI sliders, but how high off the surface to mount the fixture when it arrives? Should I call into BRS tech support directly?

Michael

I’m very curious about this too, just got the 61 inch fixture as well and have 4 AI hydras on 72 inch tank

mpderksen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very curious about this too, just got the 61 inch fixture as well and have 4 AI hydras on 72 inch tank
I have mine likely a bit higher than you, since I have 3 instead of 4, but in the interest of sharing knowledge, I just changed my spectrum. I had low UV and higher Blues, but found a recommendation on line and here are my current levels, going from UV to Blue to green etc.: 118/116/80/80/4/4/20. Digital pictures are pretty useless to share, but to my eyes, this is much more blue and better color. This is supposed to be closer to the Radion AB+ profile? I run at 4 hours, with a 4 hour ramp on each end. When I get the fixture, I’ll be running 6 hours with a 3 hour ramp, like Ryan said on the BRS 160 video. Not clear on height above the water, but my 150 is deep (30”), and the top of my main rocks is about 12”. That would end up as the base of any incoming SPS. The Montio Digi and Caps are certainly growing already without the T5s, but I’m ready to go Acros etc.
The primary question I would have is if the above spectrum should be altered once the 4 Blue+ bulbs get added.
Another note, I like that the AI interface allows for a acclimation period as long as you like. My plan is to do 2 weeks from 50% back to normal over 2 weeks to avoid any stress to the existing corals.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to acclimate the tank to the addition of the T-5s? I’m going to turn my LED way down to start, but I’m still a little worried that I’m going to cook everything at the top of my tank if I just plug the T-5s in. Since the Aquatic Life fixture is not dimmable I’m not sure how to transition.
I have a 48x24x24 120 gallon tank. I’ve only ever used LED lights.

I've seen (and done) this a couple of ways. Some opt to hang the light fixture higher than usual and over a few weeks slowly lower it until you reach your desired height. On the other hand, you could have the T5's only come one for an hour each day and increase that photoperiod over a few weeks or more. Either approach has worked for me and my acros, but I'm a bit partial to the photoperiod method.

If you want to use the 16"-inch bracket you will also need to change the end plates to 16", as the fixtures come out of the box with 18" end plates. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/16-hybrid-end-plate-aquatic-life.html :)

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has the 30" depth as well and I actually used my 3 AI Primes in acclimation mode to get them up to 100% over about 4-6 weeks. Then i bumped them back down to 40% and had the T5's turn on for 5 hours a day with the AI primes ramping up before and after the T5's. I have only reached 50% so far on the AI's but I also set the acclimation period to 5 months. So they ramp up slowly until I find that it is getting too bright. That's when I will stop them at that percentage and adjust lower if needed. I figured that way I do not have to ever adjust the height of the fixture itself.

Mixed tank with some easy to grow SPS up high and LPS and softies are down lower.
(Take what I say with a grain of salt though as I am still super new to the hobby)

Last edited:

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen (and done) this a couple of ways. Some opt to hang the light fixture higher than usual and over a few weeks slowly lower it until you reach your desired height. On the other hand, you could have the T5's only come one for an hour each day and increase that photoperiod over a few weeks or more. Either approach has worked for me and my acros, but I'm a bit partial to the photoperiod method.

If you want to use the 16"-inch bracket you will also need to change the end plates to 16", as the fixtures come out of the box with 18" end plates. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/16-hybrid-end-plate-aquatic-life.html :)

Just realized with my tank being 72x24x24 should I have gone with all 24 inch end plates? I got 18 inch because that's what I thought I would need for my 4 AI Hydras.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on how you want to orientate the hydras. If you're running it on the 18" configuration and find the front / rear are shadowing too much, the 24" brackets are accessory sku's anyway and the fixture is quite easy to change over.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized with my tank being 72x24x24 should I have gone with all 24 inch end plates? I got 18 inch because that's what I thought I would need for my 4 AI Hydras.

Personally, I'd go with the 18". Since I don' typically keep coral right on the extreme back and front of the tank, most being in the middle somewhere, I'd rather have my lights slightly subset inwards for it to be directly over a majority of my coral.

That said, I haven't tried to mount the Hydras on an 18" bracket so I'm not 100% sure of the exact fit.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again... can you please not do this in every thread?
Freedom of speech - that's what science is all about. I see nothing wrong with the previous comment. I can't speak to other comments from said user... but this in isolation is as innocuous as they come.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freedom of speech - that's what science is all about. I see nothing wrong with the previous comment. I can't speak to other comments from said user... but this in isolation is as innocuous as they come.
You’re right, you see a snapshot. Feel free to look at the post history where anything other than halide is inferior. New people take such strong opinions as gospel. Some people’s opinions ions need to be checked.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back