Examining the Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixture | BRStv Investigates

hubble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on getting this fixture to go with my Hydra 26 HD's. So are T5's gonna be the primary light source and the LED's a supplement or LED's primary with the T5's as a supplement? I was thinking Blue+ and coral+ for the T5's and adjusting the Hydra's to my liking but not sure. Any idea's?

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm planning on getting this fixture to go with my Hydra 26 HD's. So are T5's gonna be the primary light source and the LED's a supplement or LED's primary with the T5's as a supplement? I was thinking Blue+ and coral+ for the T5's and adjusting the Hydra's to my liking but not sure. Any idea's?

I run the T5 for 8 hours, my Kessils turned down to 50% for 8 and then a few hours to simulate sunrise and sunset.

I would say get a few extra bulbs to experiment with. Get 2 blue plus, 2 coral plus and then an actinic.

What I’ve found is that if the T5s make the tank too white to your liking, there is not much the LEDs can do to make it bluer BUT if the tank is blue, you can use the LEDs to balance it.

JoeKelley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ballast do these fixtures run? How do they compare PAR with ATI? Can I screw reefbrite to the sides?

Joe

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What ballast do these fixtures run? How do they compare PAR with ATI? Can I screw reefbrite to the sides?

Joe
They run the HEP ballast that ATI uses. PAR wise, they're alright. Definitely not on ATI's level since they have no active cooling and I'm betting the reflectors aren't nearly as good. No idea about Reefbrites since you already have LEDs in the middle anyway

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fixture would you recommend for a 40 breeder? Would the 24" model be enough or would I need the 36" model?

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fixture would you recommend for a 40 breeder? Would the 24" model be enough or would I need the 36" model?
That really depends on what you want to do with it. The 24" model will not provide you with wall to wall coverage, so you will have lower PAR spots on the sides of your tank. That may be an effect you want (example: if you would like to have low PAR spots on the sides to put low light corals there...), or it may not be. 36" fixture will give you wall to wall coverage. If it were me, I'd get the 36" fixture... but there is no right or wrong answer... it's completely dependent on what you want and need. :)

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really depends on what you want to do with it. The 24" model will not provide you with wall to wall coverage, so you will have lower PAR spots on the sides of your tank. That may be an effect you want (example: if you would like to have low PAR spots on the sides to put low light corals there...), or it may not be. 36" fixture will give you wall to wall coverage. If it were me, I'd get the 36" fixture... but there is no right or wrong answer... it's completely dependent on what you want and need. :)
Thanks, I'm leaning toward the 36" fixture as well:)

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed my LED units on my 48in fixture , and ran all cables through my wall behind the tank.

a777d2f94553267054a12b6262e77963.heic
90f7c0e2fb78f4972aed4c601bee55e0.heic
d8e370ade2c5af47cc090f9773598378.heic

I am loving the light combination. !

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received mine early last week. I hung it from the ceiling and kept the AP700 on the mounting bracket.
475c0666c12e4d58a457c0b527eef4dc.jpg
That looks awesome! Any chance you can take some more pictures and post them here or direct message me? I'm interested to see the mounting aspect of it. would it direct mount or do you need to modify anything in any way? How heavy was the fixture? I only ask as I'm going to hang it, but not sure if i have studs in the ceiling where i'd need to put it.
Thanks in advance!!

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome! Any chance you can take some more pictures and post them here or direct message me? I'm interested to see the mounting aspect of it. would it direct mount or do you need to modify anything in any way? How heavy was the fixture? I only ask as I'm going to hang it, but not sure if i have studs in the ceiling where i'd need to put it.
Thanks in advance!!
Thanks!
The actual AP700 is using the brackets you see at the back of the tank, so it is not supported by the T5 hanging system. Since the AP700 bracket system attaches to the light from the top, I was able to slide the T5 right underneath the AP700 and hang it from my drop ceiling. Fits perfectly. The T5 alone is about 12 lbs I believe.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
The actual AP700 is using the brackets you see at the back of the tank, so it is not supported by the T5 hanging system. Since the AP700 bracket system attaches to the light from the top, I was able to slide the T5 right underneath the AP700 and hang it from my drop ceiling. Fits perfectly. The T5 alone is about 12 lbs I believe.
Potentially dumb question, but would you be able to mount the light to the mounting arms somehow? Or would that be to much stress on the mounting arms and tank side

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back