Examining the Kessil A360 Tuna Blue deeper than ever before! | BRStv Investigates

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs or @randyBRS I know I am dragging an old thread out here.
But I never saw it asked or reported and I want to confirm my own thoughts.
When controlling spectrum with the Apex VDM module... Will adjusting the color channel, adjust within the Kessil logic; the same as using the knob on the actual light? Put another way, is the same thing happening to the LED's when using the APEX as when using the knob on the light?

Also, what would be the difference between using the Serial port on the VDM verses the 0-10v port?

Thank you in advance

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When controlling spectrum with the Apex VDM module... Will adjusting the color channel, adjust within the Kessil logic; the same as using the knob on the actual light? Put another way, is the same thing happening to the LED's when using the APEX as when using the knob on the light?

Also, what would be the difference between using the Serial port on the VDM verses the 0-10v port?

Thank you in advance

yes. And 1 port controls power input, the other port controls color. You need both ports running to the VDM.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you in advance
Same output by VDM or knob.

Not sure but the rj45 ports are all that controls the light. 2 grounds and 2 0-10v.

Another person asked if the intensity wood change with the color setting being more white or blue. The answer is that the intensity stays the same I fact as you increase the inensity more LEDs turn on and it has the same no matter the color percentage.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure but the rj45 ports are all that controls the light. 2 grounds and 2 0-10v.

Another person asked if the intensity wood change with the color setting being more white or blue. The answer is that the intensity stays the same I fact as you increase the inensity more LEDs turn on and it has the same no matter the color percentage.

That is only partially true, the color does change slightly at different intensities; most noticeably below 50% color.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need one socket or port to run a kessil 360 or 160 However there are 2 connections in each port or socket.

Not sure why they don't have more probably so you have to buy more modules. Had to buy a VDM module and I use all 4 ports.

You could make a splitter or use the through put of each light to control more than two lights but they would be controlled together.

I have all 4 lights separate for a east to west sun rise sun set.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need one socket or port to run a kessil 360 or 160 However there are 2 connections in each port or socket.

Not sure why they don't have more probably so you have to buy more modules. Had to buy a VDM module and I use all 4 ports.

You could make a splitter or use the through put of each light to control more than two lights but they would be controlled together.

I have all 4 lights separate for a east to west sun rise sun set.

You can also daisy chain the Kessil's without using another output on the controller but things get a bit shaky at the third light if you go this route.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is only partially true, the color does change slightly at different intensities; most noticeably below 50% color.
Because it get brighter as the extra LEDs turn on but they do it in pairs and only seems to change the color.
Just tour eyes playing tricks on you

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not just your eyes; adjustments to color also affect PAR output.

I can confirm this with my A160s and Seneye. One A160 at 100% intensity 7" off the water provides 500 PAR just under the surface at 50% color. At 0% color its 350 PAR and at 100% color its 400 PAR. The color knob affects PAR and the intensity knob also affects color...

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the initial question was whether the color knob on the unit acts the same as the color control on the APEX, which the answer is yes, it’s the same.

As for the point about whether or not the color knob changes the PAR, or the intensity knob changes the color, that is absolutely undeniable. It’s not a trick of the eye... it’s how it works. :)

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm this with my A160s and Seneye. One A160 at 100% intensity 7" off the water provides 500 PAR just under the surface at 50% color. At 0% color its 350 PAR and at 100% color its 400 PAR. The color knob affects PAR and the intensity knob also affects color...
Ditto for the A360WE. Changing the color changes the reading I get on my meter.

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, we have a couple of the Nuvo20's around the office here and I'd have to say that the A360 is the much better fit for full coverage with adequate PAR. Otherwise, (2x) A160s would be enough as well. :) Our marketing director, Valerie, has this exact tank with a single A360 on it!

-Randy
Randy, I have a biocube 29 and a Kessil A360w tuna blue, running for 4 years. It's just been a softie tank, but would like to try some SPS. What would be the best intensity (at60% now) to work up to and how far off the water should I set it? It does have a glass top, so I'm not sure what difference that makes. Thanks, Melanie

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I have a biocube 29 and a Kessil A360w tuna blue, running for 4 years. It's just been a softie tank, but would like to try some SPS. What would be the best intensity (at60% now) to work up to and how far off the water should I set it? It does have a glass top, so I'm not sure what difference that makes. Thanks, Melanie

You may find that 75%-100% to be the sweet spot for SPS in that tank. Usually the best practice is to start very slow and make slight increases in intensity until you find a spot that seems to keep the corals happy. The concern with a glass top is that it can block some PAR from entering the tank because of saltcreep, water condensation or even precipitate. :)

-Randy

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been able to go above 50% intensity on my 360 series no matter how slow I go.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been able to go above 50% intensity on my 360 series no matter how slow I go.

Really? I was thinking I needed to go higher. I'm running one 8" off of the water on a Reefer Nano with all Euphyllia and Goniopora. It peaks at 65% intensity and 35% color for two hours and everything is wide open and happy. Maybe it's because I have the color dialed back.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I was thinking I needed to go higher. I'm running one 8" off of the water on a Reefer Nano with all Euphyllia and Goniopora. It peaks at 65% intensity and 35% color for two hours and everything is wide open and happy. Maybe it's because I have the color dialed back.

You make a great point here, there should be some PAR shift as you adjust the color intensity knob. I did a very quick test with the Luxcore to be sure, but should expect higher PAR output between 25% and 75% with 50% color setting probably being the highest. The lowest PAR I saw was at the deeper blue settings and the second lowest at the full 100% setting.

This shift to to lower PAR as you adjust to a lower intensity setting is probably due to you lowering spectrum across the board in order to increase the lower PAR producing deep blues and purples. On the flip side, however as you approach 100%, you are also lowering spectrum in the higher PAR producing blues while also adding more green and yellow spectrum, which probably have a very low impact to overall PAR on their own. :)

That said, I was surprised by this little test and would say that for an SPS dominant tank, 50% was shown to produce the highest PAR. Honestly though, you could really just choose a spot between 25% - 75% that looks good to you and be able to support nearly every tank type. (While taking into account depth of tank and even spread across the tank.) ;)

-Randy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back