Excess buoyancy in Tomini Tang

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this fish for over a year along with his tank mates. All otherwise healthy and eating A LOT. I feed LRS, mysis and chopped nori 3 times per day.

For the past week -- maybe two -- he has been having to work his pectoral fins constantly to keep a sustained depth. Eating fine. No spots or marks or unusual behavior. He keeps an attitude of about 115 degrees but is always working to keep depth. Still eating and grazing but my arms/fins ache just watching him.

Any ideas @Jay Hemdal ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this fish for over a year along with his tank mates. All otherwise healthy and eating A LOT. I feed LRS, mysis and chopped nori 3 times per day.

For the past week -- maybe two -- he has been having to work his pectoral fins constantly to keep a sustained depth. Eating fine. No spots or marks or unusual behavior. He keeps an attitude of about 115 degrees but is always working to keep depth. Still eating and grazing but my arms/fins ache just watching him.

Any ideas @Jay Hemdal ?

Can you post a short video?
Any gut bloating?

It is pretty unusual for a long term captive fish develop positive buoyancy like that. Try to sneak a peek when it is sleeping, curious to know how it is sleeping at night.

Jay

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always on.
He is quite small for a MP40 especially when he is so close. IMO, he actually swam quite well into the flow & made a tight turn but if he is always swimming with his ahead angled towards the bottom then it is odd. Maybe shoot a short video of it eating as his motion during feeding can probably reveal more info. I assume you use the feed mode.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is quite small for a MP40 especially when he is so close. IMO, he actually swam quite well into the flow & made a tight turn but if he is always swimming with his ahead angled towards the bottom then it is odd. Maybe shoot a short video of it eating as his motion during feeding can probably reveal more info. I assume you use the feed mode.
That fish expired a week or so after my post. There was no way he was going to make for long under constant exertion. Poor little guy; felt sorry for him but besides euthanizing I didn't know what else to do. I did not euthanize but strongly considered it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back