Exciting opertunity for all ETRC

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! So today I was walking my friend to her study hall and I walk in the door and see a large 55 gallon salt water fish tank!!! It's located at Harden valley academy in the bio Chem lab. I noticed several things that NEED to be fixed so I've decided to take on the job! There's tons of blown looking slime algae in there and I'm going to grab a water sample tomorrow :)!

Any ways this is where we as a group can come in. In the tank there are 2 large clownfish and a Rose bubble anemone and a mushroom. IT WAS A DISSAPOINTMENT, but an opportunity! I would like to show us teenagers that the ocean is beautiful and meant to be respected. Personally I'm going to give some corals to the tank when that algae problem is gone. I'd like to be posting regularly about the status of my adventure ;)

I'd like to make this tank beautiful so if you have an extra corals or anything you'd like to contribute please post and I can notify you when I also add my corals to the tank.

I'll also probably be needing advice on what to do because it's looking a lil slimey in there

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys always seem to have a great group over there. Be proud of it! I look forward to watching even though I don't get to participate. Good job

Joey Marino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome of you (and the school) to do! Great way to get students involved and interested. I would be happy to drop you a coral or fish for it. The lighting is most likely going to be a huge factor limiting in coral choice sadly.

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome of you (and the school) to do! Great way to get students involved and interested. I would be happy to drop you a coral or fish for it. The lighting is most likely going to be a huge factor limiting in coral choice sadly.
So currently he's managing a rose bubble tip, and the lights looked legit. I will get back to you those details tomorrow. I'm hoping to stop by after school tomorrow and truest get an idea for what I'm working with! I will notify you when I get this algae prob taken care of

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So slight partial update. The tank is 55in long and a 12in fat. It has 2 box filters and a protein skimmer. Also has 3 part dosing system. The lights I need to do some more looking on. It has 1 power head so im thinking im going to try to find one more since its such a long tank. It has a serous brown blue slime covering the rocks completely and is on the glass on the edges. Im thinking a nice water change after scrubbing the rock and glass down with a tooth brush, and then several days of blackout. Any other suggestions?

Also there's only 2 corals in the tank currently: a green mushroom and a rose bubble. I'm wanting to fill this tank up with bright corals :) should I get rid of this coral because of his ability to crawl around? I've seen them put in flower pots before, but im not sure if the teacher would like that. If anyone would want to trade a coral for him; im sure that could work also. I think im going to end of having to find him a new home :(

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a toadstool, devils hand, and blue eye kole tang I need to remove. Will be available December 10th would need to pickup that afternoon.

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a toadstool, devils hand, and blue eye kole tang I need to remove. Will be available December 10th would need to pickup that afternoon.
Let's defiantly work that out a lil closer to time! Thank you so much!

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8083.PNG
IMG_8081.PNG
IMG_8080.PNG
IMG_8087.PNG

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP and dissolved oxygen likely quite low given the bacterial mats. Also, is the rock terrestrial? I'd add more circulation, remove any bioballs/whatnot from the sump, add carbon/GFO, consider replacing the LR, and possibly ozone for awhile. There's a lot of sand in there and depending on the age of the tank it could be a liability.

Dave

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP and dissolved oxygen likely quite low given the bacterial mats. Also, is the rock terrestrial? I'd add more circulation, remove any bioballs/whatnot from the sump, add carbon/GFO, consider replacing the LR, and possibly ozone for awhile. There's a lot of sand in there and depending on the age of the tank it could be a liability.

Dave
I was also thinking it needed more circulation! It only has one filter so I'm thinking I'll get a pretty strong power head.
I'll talk to him about the filter, because I have 0 clue on how it works. Do we replace the bio balls or get rid of them

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dave
Will ask on Monday about the rock

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I just wanted to give you guys an update on the tank situation. Currently my schedule is slammed, but I get my first tinkering with the tank this Friday!!!! I'm hoping to put my favia and a few other corals that were donate to the tank next week and I'm super excited!!! The algae seems to be about the same :/ but I have hope!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back