Experiment to see if certain corallivore butterflies can be kept in reef aquarium.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still prefer a Roaops butterfly, or maybe a Prognathodes any day even if these corallivores could be kept successfully. They generally have simpler patterns but that’s actually what makes them so much more pleasing to see. You’re not trying to comprehend nearly as many colors, weird as it sounds.
Yes! I completely agree - I love the simple coloured butterflies with only 1-2 3 at max colours. Most of my fish only have 2-3 colours, it’s so much more fun to watch.
Actually, all in all I find butterflyfish to be some of the most boring to watch, their personality is fun to watch but their colours just don’t make it fun IMHO. Yes I’ll still go for one in a tank if I can house it but I will only do that if it’s something like a CBB where there’s only 2 colours, 3 if you count the black fake eye.

Then again, I house some of the common families seen and only have 1-2 oddball fish.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not crazy about every butterfly out there but when I saw a Bennetti up for sale I had to grab it...I love the yellow with the pastel blue against it and I like that they stay pretty small as well...tbh I love the challenge though and the learning about husbandry for an uncommon species...not to mention when I come back to the States I'll probably never find one of these for sale again

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not crazy about every butterfly out there but when I saw a Bennetti up for sale I had to grab it...I love the yellow with the pastel blue against it and I like that they stay pretty small as well...tbh I love the challenge though and the learning about husbandry for an uncommon species...not to mention when I come back to the States I'll probably never find one of these for sale again
I totally agree with the challenge being the fun part of these animals but sometimes it really kills when you loose one. My favourite odd ball fish passed a few weeks ago and I know they’re hard to own but dang, almost 6 months in and he dies. Got really attached to that Hoplolatilus chlupatyi aswell - Just waiting for a second to emerge.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with the challenge being the fun part of these animals but sometimes it really kills when you loose one. My favourite odd ball fish passed a few weeks ago and I know they’re hard to own but dang, almost 6 months in and he dies. Got really attached to that Hoplolatilus chlupatyi aswell - Just waiting for a second to emerge.
I know...I've lost my fair share of fish and other pets but all the time you spend enjoying them outweighs the end in my opinion

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think he's smaller than I expected... only about 2 inches long. Pretty sure they don't grow to more than about 5 inches or so which makes me like him even more
That’s great to hear! Means you may have him longer than you originally thought :)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do people normally buy saltwater fish in Thailand? I know there’s the Chatuchak Floating Market but any well-known online or offline dealers!
Good question! 90% of the marine fish do come from Chatuchak...there are a couple other small shops but very few. A few of the shops at Chatuchak are actually pretty nice though and the fish usually arrive healthy a without being too stressed out since Thailand is close to the collection points like Indonesia. A lot of the shops will post their stock on Facebook though and you can message them to order a fish if you know exactly what you want and you can pay a delivery driver to bring it to you.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back