Experimenting with in-tank antibiotic treatments for Brown Jelly Disease

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a initial round of success with two victims a few weeks ago--those have recovered and are growing back! :)-- i have had a total loss in hospital tanks of new brown jelly victims. The anti-biotics seem to have no impact. The torching with a flame had temporary relief, but brown jelly came back. There was also a white substance on the corals.

After listening to Jack Adams on a youtube video he mention Ciliate's maybe causing issues with LPS. I wonder if some issues we have are bacterial and others are ciliate or something else?

I read this about ciliates:

"Feeding

Most ciliates are heterotrophs, feeding on smaller organisms, such as bacteria and algae, and detritus swept into the oral groove (mouth) by modified oral cilia."

I wonder if dosing anti-biotics (bacteria) actually feeds ciliates attacking LPS and can do more harm than good in some circumstances?

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried Enrofloxacin in place of Cipro for the treatment of BJD in coral?

We have a big bag of Enro that we use in place of Cipro here for our ornamental fish and my previous attempts at treating BJD have not been successful. Just wondering if that may be why or if I'm just dealing with a more resistant strain.

Thanks!

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little info so you don't have to dig for it.

Enro

Cipro

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great report! very helpful to ours reefs!......thing is that the bjd will anyway came back sooner or later as slime algae by many way, headache !

Drao05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m getting a few $$$ wild torches next week and figured I would do a prophylactic treatment in the display tank with Cipro from Day 1. Has anyone tried dipping them monthly (outside of tank) with a higher concentration for like 3-6 months?

I’ve never had luck with wild torches but never had any problems with aquacultured torches either. The wild ones always brown jellied or melted on me. I’m hoping that dipping them every so often will help them adjust to aquarium life easier and I won’t have any more casualties.

I’ll keep y’all updated with my progress.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a small favites get BJD after I poisoned my tank with palytoxin (dratted palythoas). I took it out of the tank as soon as I saw the jelly, and put it in a big cup with a pint of completely new water. I blew the slime off with a pipette, and put that cup near a light I was using to grow some seedlings. I kept blowing it clean once or twice a day for a week, then, once it hadn't had any slime on it for a few days, I dipped it in Seachem reef dip (just enough dip to tint the water) and put it back in my tank. It's been almost two weeks since then, and the coral is rapidly improving, so I'm pretty sure it's fine now.

I mention this because it seems like it was WAY too easy for BJD, and I'm wondering if the temperature of the cup helped. I keep my room pretty cold, so the cup water was probably high 60s, maybe low 70s at most. I've read that warmer temperatures can cause BJD to multiply faster, so maybe colder temperatures slow it down? I figured since this is a thread about experimenting with BJD cures, me saying "I seem to have cured BJD with nothing but blowing the slime off, and I wonder if cold temperatures helped" might be useful.

(It's also possible, I assume, that I just had a wimpy strain of BJD that couldn't cope with being blown off the coral.)

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of last night I dosed my 3rd and final Cipro treatment and I’m completely blown away by how effective this has been at restoring both my confidence along with the overall health of my Euphylia.

This information is gold and a huge advancement for the hobby.

Thank you @AquaBiomics along with the information which others have provided in this thread!

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was researching on OP's bacteria discovery and saw that this type of bacteria is typically found in septic tanks and thrives in water temps of 84 degrees+.

This could explain a lot re bjd. A temperature spike event, skimmer overflow, not keeping up with water changes and too much poop in the display....
It's interesting that many of the bacteria that negatively affect our reefs (tank and ocean) are associated with humans.. I wonder if we are causing our corals to get sick or if the coral shippers are... Probably both.

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of last night I dosed my 3rd and final Cipro treatment and I’m completely blown away by how effective this has been at restoring both my confidence along with the overall health of my Euphylia.

This information is gold and a huge advancement for the hobby.

Thank you @AquaBiomics along with the information which others have provided in this thread!
How much are you dosing per gallon?

Pharmasqueek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pharmasqueek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to perform a full write up, but after my tank treatment with cipro, the offending arcobacter seems to be gone. After losing quite a few items when I first had bjd, now since I have treated my tank, bjd has not shown back up. I have had several euphyllia and other things get injured or recede and not die. If bjd was still in my tank, these injured coral would have shown brown jelly and the entire coral would have died. I have even had cheap euphyllia recede and die, but show no signs of brown jelly ever appearing. Be very careful about who you buy from and what you put in your tank... that's all I can say.

marinehead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can one get cipro? Had one of my small indo good torch w/ BJD. Now my bigger indo gold torch is experiencing the same. Great info

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua lab aquaria had some. Pricey lol. Now to figure out the math for it. 300G tank. Think I need 500 in a 10 ml every other day

taha89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 65 gallon AIO. When I multiply 65x0.125 it came out to be 8.125. Should i divide 8.125 into small portions?

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 65 gallon AIO. When I multiply 65x0.125 it came out to be 8.125. Should i divide 8.125 into small portions?
Covert gallons to liters.
/.125
Then convert mg to ml.
It’s all sorts of weird.
Long story short I got to 9.3ml for my 300G

taha89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Covert gallons to liters.
/.125
Then convert mg to ml.
It’s all sorts of weird.
Long story short I got to 9.3ml for my 300G
Thanks man but I can’t figure it out. I have a 500mg pill, when I convert 65 gallons to 246 liters then 246 x .125 = 30.75 then what

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back