Experimenting with in-tank antibiotic treatments for Brown Jelly Disease

TheCoralExchange

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaBiomics I found an research article here, from germany, regarding gut bacteria in humans, and it seems to state the same prevelance of this unknown acrobacter, but even more interesting is the same products we use in our tanks already such as chemiclean (erithromycin) and azithromycin, are listed as well. I wonder if there is some serious correlation here... What if its affecting the guts of the torches like it would do in humans as well? Just some though. The article took me a while to read and i'm still confused on what "bimodal distribution" mean, but hopefully this is interesting for you as well.

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd just point out that I had a lovely rainbow trachy that overnight lost a large chunk of flesh and quickly developed BJD. I placed it in a 10L hospital tank with a small pump and heater, and dosed 0.2ml of the 50ml solution originally outlined.

BJD has completely stopped advancing, and the coral tissue seems to be puffier and healthier just 24 hours later. Normally with BJD that set on that quickly, I would have expected the coral to have completely died by now.

I will update over the coming days, but this treatment has absolutely done something to the BJD.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wish I had found this article sooner, I just lost almost all my euphyllias (7 different hammers, a torch, and a cristata). I have one hammer left and was unsure what to do. I'm glad I have this article now for reference if it comes back.

DropoffCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. It almost seems to me that with it being in your water column, dipping individual pieces and putting them back in that same water column defeats the purpose of the dip.

I guess this is why folks don’t have a lot of success with dips.

Somethingfishy22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a great article I wish I found this 2 months ago, I got the same problems from buying indo torch that got bjd and wipe out almost 80 percent of my tank and most them are euphylia.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a few questions about this in tank treatment with Ciprofloxacin.
1) should carbon and GFO be removed?
2) is there a maximum safe dose?
3) why not dose every 24 hours for 5-7 days?
4) is there any coral or fish foods that should be avoided during treatment?
5) would carbon dosing (vodka) be beneficial for the good bacteria during treatment?

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a few questions about this in tank treatment with Ciprofloxacin.
1) should carbon and GFO be removed?
2) is there a maximum safe dose?
3) why not dose every 24 hours for 5-7 days?
4) is there any coral or fish foods that should be avoided during treatment?
5) would carbon dosing (vodka) be beneficial for the good bacteria during treatment?
I’m 30 days after treatment and nothing else has died. I was losing corals almost weekly till the Cipro treatment. I have a Seneye and did not see any ammonia spike. Thanks OP!!

OP
OP
AquaBiomics

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 30 days after treatment and nothing else has died. I was losing corals almost weekly till the Cipro treatment. I have a Seneye and did not see any ammonia spike. Thanks OP!!
That's great to hear!

Sorry I failed to get back to you on your questions. Did you end up removing your GAC / GFO during the treatment?

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the last coral I lost.
20C4E011-295E-4EDA-9204-23F3519068E3.jpeg

Roush2000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to the discussion - I just completed the third round of treatment following @AquaBiomics protocols. Eli has been kind enough to provide microbiome testing for before/after treatment for the presence of the bacteria, and so far there have been no adverse effects on my tank. I will update when the results of the testing are complete.
I am interested in doing this on my system but worried as i have a pretty large fish population. Did you have any ammonia issues or similar??

Roush2000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please help me out with the dosing rates, just ordered some Cipro 500mg tablets . Looking to dose roughly 190 gallons of water, assuming I should take rock displacement inconsideration
Did you do it already? How did it go if so? How big is you livestock population

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic article. I'm nearing my breaking point on mysterious SPS RTN and lost all my aussie torches and a few shrooms over the last 6 months. Currently have lost about 20 sps frags some a year old with great growth over the last 2 months. ICP test results were almost perfect, stable parameters trident monitored, lower nutrients, etc.. I have not found any bugs or parasites and convinced its bacterial. Heavily considering treating my tank with CIPRO before I lose all my SPS (have a out 60 frags total) my zoas, chalices, clam, softies, indo torches etc are all doing great.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bring this article back to the top of the forum page. I recently wrote a thread about this but feel like it deserves a good follow up considering all of the threads that get posted about BJD. I'm currently experiencing a loss one by one my euphyllia is succumbing to BJD , going on week 3 and I've lost my HG, Hellfire and DS all with multiple heads. My wife is a biologist so this thread has been really fascinating for us. My Cipro comes tomorrow so I'm going to be treating the tank but I had a couple of questions for post treatment.

1. I've read that Cipro loses it's efficacy in lighting so it's best to treat the tank when the lights go down. True / not true?
  2. Immediate water change after full treatment isn't needed? True / Not True?
  3. Short-term treatment has little to no impact on healthy bacteria?
  4. Storaging cipro recommendations? Just refrigerated is good enough?
  5. Does anyone have long-term results that they can share since the last post in 2019?
Just want to say thank you to everyone for sharing their results, I definitely know the feeling of losing some prized corals. I'll post my results with cipro once I get the treatment going.

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bring this article back to the top of the forum page. I recently wrote a thread about this but feel like it deserves a good follow up considering all of the threads that get posted about BJD. I'm currently experiencing a loss one by one my euphyllia is succumbing to BJD , going on week 3 and I've lost my HG, Hellfire and DS all with multiple heads. My wife is a biologist so this thread has been really fascinating for us. My Cipro comes tomorrow so I'm going to be treating the tank but I had a couple of questions for post treatment.

1. I've read that Cipro loses it's efficacy in lighting so it's best to treat the tank when the lights go down. True / not true?
  2. Immediate water change after full treatment isn't needed? True / Not True?
  3. Short-term treatment has little to no impact on healthy bacteria?
  4. Storaging cipro recommendations? Just refrigerated is good enough?
  5. Does anyone have long-term results that they can share since the last post in 2019?
Just want to say thank you to everyone for sharing their results, I definitely know the feeling of losing some prized corals. I'll post my results with cipro once I get the treatment going.
Are you dosing your display tank or a HT? What dosage are you doing? Just got my CIPRO in today.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back