Experimenting with in-tank antibiotic treatments for Brown Jelly Disease

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is my 3rd dose and I will report its not working for me at all .my system is 600 gallons I have dosed 30ml 2 times so far every other day today is my final dose .and im still losing heads .actually I think I'm losing more heads than before maybe this has to do with no skimmer .taking the uv and ozone along with carbon and gfo offline..I will report no negative effects on any other corals, inverts and fish ..

Emon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been battling BJD for a couple of weeks and nothing has worked. I figured I would give this a try. I don’t know if this is a a stupid question but, I am confused with the dilution part. I put the 500mg tablet in 50 ml of water, Do I use the dosage from that solution and store the rest in the fridge for later dosage?

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been battling BJD for a couple of weeks and nothing has worked. I figured I would give this a try. I don’t know if this is a a stupid question but, I am confused with the dilution part. I put the 500mg tablet in 50 ml of water, Do I use the dosage from that solution and store the rest in the fridge for later dosage?
Thats what i did I have alot of water so I did 2 500mg pills in 100 ml of water

Emon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use the solution that separated from when I mixed it ? Or don’t let it separate and use that ? Sorry for all the questions in advance

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: continued heavy loss STN and RTN. Give 20 frags to a friend with stellar system, half already gone.

Cdeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: continued heavy loss STN and RTN. Give 20 frags to a friend with stellar system, half already gone.
Have you done any other ICP tests? Prob not BJD or a bacterial infection

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done any other ICP tests? Prob not BJD or a bacterial infection
Yeah.. I don't see anything irregular

Attachments

• Test463610408_Results.jpeg
    Test463610408_Results.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Test102057335_Results.jpeg
    Test102057335_Results.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
AquaBiomics

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever its worth I don't think STN/RTN are caused by Arcobacter, like my measurements suggest BJD is.

I think they're caused by a variety of pathogenic Vibrio, and wouldnt expect this treatment to affect them. Vibrio is much less sensitive to cipro.

RTN/STN are next on my list for sure, I have a medication on hand that I'm experimenting with but dips havent been as successful as I'd like and full tank treatment experiments take longer. One day!

Good luck with your RTN/STN, its heartbreaking when that happens :(

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever its worth I don't think STN/RTN are caused by Arcobacter, like my measurements suggest BJD is.

I think they're caused by a variety of pathogenic Vibrio, and wouldnt expect this treatment to affect them. Vibrio is much less sensitive to cipro.

RTN/STN are next on my list for sure, I have a medication on hand that I'm experimenting with but dips havent been as successful as I'd like and full tank treatment experiments take longer. One day!

Good luck with your RTN/STN, its heartbreaking when that happens :(
Thanks for the feedback. Yes super frustrating and was worth a shot. Certainly not denouncing the use of cipro in Euphyllia / BJD was hoping it could have a broader application. If you are interested in collaboration I've got a great test tank, obviously, for experimenting let me know what meds I could try and the process you're doing.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the OP says to use the 500 mg pill. Did you get the bottle for fish without a prescription? I ordered mine in pill form and y vet approved it with some coaxing
The one for land animals requires vet prescription. The one for fish requires no prescription. Same stuff same pills

Bd.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was an amazing article on an otherwise mystery in the euphyllia world. I have had great success with it. If anyone needs help getting the solution, PM is the key!

Sherwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same issue as many here with BJD. A gorgeous Aussie Gold torch decimated my other 6 torches. And before my last two torches went, I placed them into my display and watched in horror as other corals started to go as well.

After reading a bunch on Cipro, I decided to give the full tank treatment a try. I wrote an Rx for 500 mg Cipro and dissolved two tablets in 1000ml of RO/DI. Last night I dosed 4.3mL for a 90 gallon total volume display tank.

Fingers crossed .... hope this works. This morning everything appears to be happy and healthy, even though someone said "don't do this ... it will kill everything"

EOD, I will dose another 4.3mL for 3 total doses.

What is the recommended water volume change after the 3rd dose? And what is everyone doing with regards to replacing bacteria. I read the OP's stance on "bottled" bacteria. But I know many replace "some" bacteria after a large water change. Thanks everyone, especially Bdenniston for all of your help!!

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same issue as many here with BJD. A gorgeous Aussie Gold torch decimated my other 6 torches. And before my last two torches went, I placed them into my display and watched in horror as other corals started to go as well.

After reading a bunch on Cipro, I decided to give the full tank treatment a try. I wrote an Rx for 500 mg Cipro and dissolved two tablets in 1000ml of RO/DI. Last night I dosed 4.3mL for a 90 gallon total volume display tank.

Fingers crossed .... hope this works. This morning everything appears to be happy and healthy, even though someone said "don't do this ... it will kill everything"

EOD, I will dose another 4.3mL for 3 total doses.

What is the recommended water volume change after the 3rd dose? And what is everyone doing with regards to replacing bacteria. I read the OP's stance on "bottled" bacteria. But I know many replace "some" bacteria after a large water change. Thanks everyone, especially Bdenniston for all of your help!!
I think you need to dose 43ml. Based on your 1mg / ml concentrate using 2 500 mg tabs in 1000 ml. 90 gallons is 340L. 0.125 mg / L means need to dose about 42.5 mg to treat tank or 42.5 ml per your solution.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back