Experimenting with in-tank antibiotic treatments for Brown Jelly Disease

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some hope, but not much.

Cleaned the hospital tank yesterday. Dosed only ciprofloxacin. 125 mg to a gallon.

This morning brown jelly growing over remaining coral tissue.

Giving a iodine dip, a water change, and a redose as a last ditch effort...

Terrible disease... more resistant this go around for sure...
20210806_114735.jpg
20210806_114721.jpg

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately I'm joining the ranks of BJD first hand. my 180 was doing great but came home Friday to find my hellfire, dragon soul, highlighter torches & peach pit hammer with multiple bailed out heads covered in BJD. it just came out of nowhere. i ordered the cipro overnight it shipped Monday got it Tuesday. i had some cemiclean on the shelf so i did a treatment with that till the cipro showed up. did a 60 gallon water change on Tuesday, & started the cipro treatment at the OP's dosage tank looked about the same on Wednesday. then Thursday came home to my NY nicks & two no name indo torches bailed out covered in BJD, so i pulled them & my cc goldfinger & 21tails were looking deflated & retracting so i did twice the dosage. Friday the tank looked a "bit" better so i did a triple dose & then a triple dose again today. I will report back with progress or not on the BJD fight in the days to come. hopefully the cipro can save the day for me

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately I'm joining the ranks of BJD first hand. my 180 was doing great but came home Friday to find my hellfire, dragon soul, highlighter torches & peach pit hammer with multiple bailed out heads covered in BJD. it just came out of nowhere. i ordered the cipro overnight it shipped Monday got it Tuesday. i had some cemiclean on the shelf so i did a treatment with that till the cipro showed up. did a 60 gallon water change on Tuesday, & started the cipro treatment at the OP's dosage tank looked about the same on Wednesday. then Thursday came home to my NY nicks & two no name indo torches bailed out covered in BJD, so i pulled them & my cc goldfinger & 21tails were looking deflated & retracting so i did twice the dosage. Friday the tank looked a "bit" better so i did a triple dose & then a triple dose again today. I will report back with progress or not on the BJD fight in the days to come. hopefully the cipro can save the day for me
Good luck!

azza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you guys buying ciprofloxin from without prescription ?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you guys buying ciprofloxin from without prescription ?

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the BJD seems to have been beat with the cipro, everything that's left looks back to normal. so i did the standard dose to start skipped a day, had more death, did a double dose the third day, then a triple dose day 4,5,6,7. i put the skimmer cup back on & turned the UV back on tonight. skimmer is going crazy i have it turned down to 2 from a normal 4 & have it cranked all the way open to keep it from overflowing, I'm thinking I'll have to gradually close it back up. no other ill affects on the tank & everything looks happy again. if i ever have to do it again I'll start with a triple dose right from the start & dose every day.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the BJD seems to have been beat with the cipro, everything that's left looks back to normal. so i did the standard dose to start skipped a day, had more death, did a double dose the third day, then a triple dose day 4,5,6,7. i put the skimmer cup back on & turned the UV back on tonight. skimmer is going crazy i have it turned down to 2 from a normal 4 & have it cranked all the way open to keep it from overflowing, I'm thinking I'll have to gradually close it back up. no other ill affects on the tank & everything looks happy again. if i ever have to do it again I'll start with a triple dose right from the start & dose every day.
That's real nice to hear.

I lost a couple of the corals in the cipro hospital tank.

However following another's idea in a post, i took a butane torch to infected areas on a remaining infected coral. Quite simple actually.

1. Submerge living tissue in tank water.
2. Torch anything above the water line that is infected until charred. About 5 seconds.

Living tissue was not harmed. The torch goes deep into the unsubmerged coral.

Seems to have stopped the spreading infection!

(And was quite satisifying instantly! Lol)

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a terrific write up. How would you go about conducting a test to determine if BJD was caused by a coral consuming the bacteria and not just being exposed to it?

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's real nice to hear.

I lost a couple of the corals in the cipro hospital tank.

However following another's idea in a post, i took a butane torch to infected areas on a remaining infected coral. Quite simple actually.

1. Submerge living tissue in tank water.
2. Torch anything above the water line that is infected until charred. About 5 seconds.

Living tissue was not harmed. The torch goes deep into the unsubmerged coral.

Seems to have stopped the spreading infection!

(And was quite satisifying instantly! Lol)
interesting, i wouldn't have thought of burning the infection. nice that you had some success with it.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having trouble with my colonies of frogspawn just fading away as are a lot of people in my area. Other euphillia looks great. I came to the conclusion it’s a bacterial thing so hopefully this med will work to save my infected coral. I know there’s brown jelly in the system as I’ve had a birds nest colony jelly over and a while back a hammer did. I’ll post here if if works.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my system is about 700 gallons. I’ve got 60 of the 250 mg tablets coming. What would your dosing suggestions work out to in my case please? Could you please tell me how many pills and how to go about mixing and the amout to add to my system. Thanks In advance!

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was researching on OP's bacteria discovery and saw that this type of bacteria is typically found in septic tanks and thrives in water temps of 84 degrees+.

This could explain a lot re bjd. A temperature spike event, skimmer overflow, not keeping up with water changes and too much poop in the display....

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was researching on OP's bacteria discovery and saw that this type of bacteria is typically found in septic tanks and thrives in water temps of 84 degrees+.

This could explain a lot re bjd. A temperature spike event, skimmer overflow, not keeping up with water changes and too much poop in the display....
I dont disagree. But my tanks are 78f, so it lives at that temp too.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my system is about 700 gallons. I’ve got 60 of the 250 mg tablets coming. What would your dosing suggestions work out to in my case please? Could you please tell me how many pills and how to go about mixing and the amout to add to my system. Thanks In advance!
if you want to triple dose like i did. i followed the OP's instructions for the strength of the solution so 4- 250mg pills for every 100ml of water, i used rodi to mix with. that would put you at a dosage amount of 100ml for a 700 gallon system. the pills dissolve pretty easy i used a small Tupperware bowl with a screw on lid & swirled the pills & water around for about 1 minute to mix it up, you could use a empty water bottle or whatever you have on hand. i put the left over in the fridge till the next dose, just swirl it around & make sure it's mixed well before the next dose. you could just dose the 100ml from the 4 pills mix each day & not need to put any in the fridge if you want to just mix a fresh batch each day.
also dose at the end of your lighting period when lights go off for max effectiveness.

Last edited:

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to triple dose like i did. i followed the OP's instructions for the strength of the solution so 4- 250mg pills for every 100ml of water, i used rodi to mix with. that would put you at a dosage amount of 100ml for a 700 gallon system. the pills dissolve pretty easy i used a small Tupperware bowl with a screw on lid & swirled the pills & water around for about 1 minute to mix it up, you could use a empty water bottle or whatever you have on hand. i put the left over in the fridge till the next dose, just swirl it around & make sure it's mixed well before the next dose. you could just dose the 100ml from the 4 pills mix each day & not need to put any in the fridge if you want to just mix a fresh batch each day.
Awesome thank you. Curios. What all you got in your tank? You wouldn’t mind posting a pic of it would ya. I’d just like to see what you got for coral and such.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you. Curios. What all you got in your tank? You wouldn’t mind posting a pic of it would ya. I’d just like to see what you got for coral and such.
you can click on my build thread badge under my user name to see what it looked like up until the BJD carnage. i can post a pic of it now when i get home, mostly torches with a few hammers frogspawn a few blastos & a lone acan

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can click on my build thread badge under my user name to see what it looked like up until the BJD carnage. i can post a pic of it now when i get home, mostly torches with a few hammers frogspawn a few blastos & a lone acan
Here’s my tank tonight. Can’t say I’m not apprehensive about doing this. Been running ozone for the last few days and my euphillia that’s not affected looks really good. The ones that are if they ever recover will take a long time ..

6DCDC4C1-6CF6-49A9-BBDF-96F1B71B15B8.jpeg B44F669C-4FA2-43E7-B049-6EB4D2459E30.jpeg

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my tank tonight. Can’t say I’m not apprehensive about doing this. Been running ozone for the last few days and my euphillia that’s not affected looks really good. The ones that are if they ever recover will take a long time ..

6DCDC4C1-6CF6-49A9-BBDF-96F1B71B15B8.jpeg B44F669C-4FA2-43E7-B049-6EB4D2459E30.jpeg
you could always start with the OP's dosage that would drop it down to about 33ml from 100ml. i was losing multiple colony's at a time thats why i got more aggressive with the dosage & it worked. you might not need to do that ? this is my first bout with BJD so I'm far from a expert

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first pic is my last FTS before the BJD the next are from just now you can see all the large torches bit the dust it looks a little vacant now. but what's left looks happy again
20210705_171320.jpg
20210812_192953.jpg
20210812_193007.jpg
20210812_194950.jpg

Back