Experimenting with in-tank antibiotic treatments for Brown Jelly Disease

Montagne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaBiomics could you please recommend an equivalent BJD “low dose” for enroflaxacin? It looks like the availability of cipro has recently changed.

The humblefish antibiotic directions for the two drugs incorporate differing bath times so it doesn’t seem like a good assumption to try and create a scale between the two. Thanks!

(Enrofloxacin available at https://everythingaquatic.net/product/enrofloxacin/)

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't do water changes after dosing and haven't seen any issues. Just the regular every other week or so usual wc.
trying to see the effects in a tank where no WC's were done after dosing/treatment.. i don't do WC's so i am extremely hesitant on doing any kind of treatment in my tank as i don't have room for a QT tank unfortunately.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the whole thread, just the opener, and I wanted to add just a comment: In my long-time-opinion phosphate limitation with nitrogen excess causes or at least favors BJD and is the root cause in most tanks.

Arcobacter was a key-word for a search and I made a find.

In general Arcobacter usually seems to be associated with pollution and specifically with feces.

My recommendation: Please check nutrient concentrations, especially phosphate, in tanks affected by BJD. Try stopping BJD by stopping dosing amino acids and maybe nitrate, increase phosphate concentration.

Watch and report, please. :)

Last edited:

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't read the whole thread, just the opener, and I wanted to add just a comment: In my long-time-opinion phosphate limitation with nitrogen excess causes or at least favors BJD and is the root cause in most tanks.

Arcobacter was a key-word for a search and I made a find.

In general Arcobacter usually seems to be associated with pollution and specifically with feces.

My recommendation: Please check nutrient concentrations, especially phosphate, in tanks affected by BJD. Try stopping BJD by stopping dosing amino acids and maybe nitrate, increase phosphate concentration.

Watch and report, please. :)
So are you saying by dosing amino acids has to do with BJD or causes BJD or? Please advise as i'm trying to understand this whole ordeal and pardon my novice question.

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is having a hard time calculating how much they need to dose their tank with, I have attached the mathmatical work through. I also attached a picture of the cipro I used and where I purchased it from. You must always cross cancel your units when calculating this. That is how you will be sure that you did the math correctly, if you end up with the same units! Be precise and only round the final number.
Thank you for this! My brain was hurting trying to do the math!

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I didn't know this thread existed so now i have it bookmarked. I would like to prevent BJD from entering my tank, would Ciprio also treat and prevent? I plan on purchasing expensive torchs and protect my investment.

What's the update on the efficacy?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know this thread existed so now i have it bookmarked. I would like to prevent BJD from entering my tank, would Ciprio also treat and prevent? I plan on purchasing expensive torchs and protect my investment.

What's the update on the efficacy?
It’s been working for everyone I know for bjd without any issues with other things. It has been awhile since I used it so I don’t remember the dosage recommended/ used but I followed the instructions at the beginning of the thread and bjd went away. Can’t think of any reason to treat for bjd in a qt unless it is showing on a sick lps ( or treating an anemone?) it works quickly when it is needed but dosing prophylactic is how superbugs get developed. I wouldn’t do treatment for healthy animals.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Isn't BJD thought to be nearly ubiquitous, on everything anyway? You'd probably have to sterilize everything wet you put into the tank, including fish- which isn't really viable.

Also, yes, please, /please/ do not increase antibiotic resistance by dipping seemingly healthy corals in antibiotics. Antibiotic use needs to be kept to an absolute minimum, because antibiotic-resistant bacteria can be incredibly dangerous. Not just to your system, to you and to everyone exposed to them.

It's not just a risk in your aquarium, either- antibiotics poured down the drain can build the resistance of the bacteria that encounter them, and genes from those bacteria can be passed from organism to organism, jumping across species. The same can happen if antibiotic-resistant bacteria from your aquarium encounter other bacteria somewhere else. The antibiotics themselves don't have to be present for the genes to be transferred.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely works, but it shouldn’t be used as a prophylactic unless potentially in case of some kind of injury to the coral (rock fall, pump, etc). I’ve saved Goniopora from the infamous ‘flesh bubbling’ that happens to them with a higher dosage of this protocol (and also 24 hour high dose Amoxicillin baths).

woejillis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what everyone else is saying. I don't use as a prophylactic.

When I see BJD in my tank, I take out the affected coral and treat it specifically with Cipro for 24 hours. At the same time, I treat my tank with Cipro, every other day for 3 days.

For me, it stops BJD immediately on the affected coral and prevents it from spreading.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with what everyone else is saying. I don't use as a prophylactic.

When I see BJD in my tank, I take out the affected coral and treat it specifically with Cipro for 24 hours. At the same time, I treat my tank with Cipro, every other day for 3 days.

Treating a tank-full of corals showing no symptoms is prophylactic treatment, and really not a great idea. For you to avoid most risk of antibiotic resistance developing, you'd have to use a dosage that would wipe out your entire biofilter. Any bacteria that are exposed to antibiotics and survive can develop genes to become resistant to antibiotics, and even harmless bacteria can pass those genes to pathogens.

Back