Explanation for varying results of liverock vs bottled bacteria?

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have another thread where I battled bacteria in my tap water for a year: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/purposely-making-tank-cloudier-to-test-bacteria.870500/page-5

The jist of it:
Some sort of bacteria from my tap water takes over my brand new tank in days; to the point where I can’t see 2 inches into the tank. The only solution looks to be starting out with established liverock.

Wondering why.
The only explanation I can come up with is that the established liverock has bacteria that either outcompetes or “consumes” the tap water bacteria.

Another question would be if the only difference was starting with marine bacteria in the tank, why did trying dr tims one and only three times, dr tims waste away, dr tims clear up, and microbacter7 all fail (with the results all being identical to not adding anything at all)?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have another thread where I battled bacteria in my tap water for a year: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/purposely-making-tank-cloudier-to-test-bacteria.870500/page-5

The jist of it:
Some sort of bacteria from my tap water takes over my brand new tank in days; to the point where I can’t see 2 inches into the tank. The only solution looks to be starting out with established liverock.

Wondering why.
The only explanation I can come up with is that the established liverock has bacteria that either outcompetes or “consumes” the tap water bacteria.

Another question would be if the only difference was starting with marine bacteria in the tank, why did trying dr tims one and only three times, dr tims waste away, dr tims clear up, and microbacter7 all fail (with the results all being identical to not adding anything at all)?
Not sure why the products you described didn’t have any results for you . Was their any food source in the tank for them to thrive and grow IE: nitrates, ammonia etc. but as far as the bacteria coming out of the faucet have you considered putting and running a UV light after the faucet but before the Rodi system ??? . I’m not sure bacteria from freshwater would take over a saltwater tank . Are you sure it’s bacteria and maybe clorimines causing cloudiness or what you might think is a explosion ???

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why the products you described didn’t have any results for you . Was their any food source in the tank for them to thrive and grow IE: nitrates, ammonia etc. but as far as the bacteria coming out of the faucet have you considered putting and running a UV light after the faucet but before the Rodi system ??? . I’m not sure bacteria from freshwater would take over a saltwater tank . Are you sure it’s bacteria and maybe clorimines causing cloudiness or what you might think is a explosion ???
All these questions answered in the other thread ;)

Yes on controlled food source.
Ran a UV after the rodi, not before.
You wouldn't think fw bacteria takes over saltwater, but it does.
All evidence points to bacteria. So far, nothing points to not bacteria.

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you opposed to starting with all live rock? You know, many of the bacteria present can't even be isolated and cultured in labs...id go with the live rock for the natural biodiversity

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you opposed to starting with all live rock? You know, many of the bacteria present can't even be isolated and cultured in labs...id go with the live rock for the natural biodiversity
Well, I was opposed, but I don’t have any choice now.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The jist of it:
This is very unlikely to be the reason
Wondering why.
Very unlikely again
Could you try and explain how did they fail?

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can bacteria even pass through the RO membrane in appreciable numbers?
It doesn’t need to. Bacteria multiply very quickly.
From the other thread, I spoke to several universities. They all stated that there was no way the rodi filtered out 100% of bacteria.

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it take weeks to cycle a tank using just dechlorinated tap water then?
I’m not sure what the meaning of this question is. My tap water is clearly not regular tap water.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it take weeks to cycle a tank using just dechlorinated tap water then?
Chlorine, I guess. Sometimes I get a slime between the RO filter and first DI stage, never caused a problem that I’m aware of however. Bacteria get everywhere eventually, you're supposed to nuke em occasionally, if you can be bothered. I also get a brown (maybe bacteria) in my salt mixing bin that also doesn’t appear to be a problem, that I’m aware of.

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thread is fairly old
That’s how long I have been experimenting and trying different things. With a few months gap. All your answers are in there.

Bacteria is the only explanation. There is no evidence to show otherwise, but willing to test. All of the bottled bacteria trials (5-6) failed to reduce ammonia even a little (and failed to prevent cloudiness at the exact same pace as no bottled bacteria added).

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how long I have been experimenting and trying different things. With a few months gap. All your answers are in there.

Bacteria is the only explanation. There is no evidence to show otherwise, but willing to test. All of the bottled bacteria trials (5-6) failed to reduce ammonia even a little.
What’s your nutrients, no3 and po4

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your nutrients, no3 and po4
In which trial?
Tried high, tried low. Nothing prevented cloudiness. And if you think I’m making the testing different values up:
image.jpg
image.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In which trial?
Tried high, tried low. Nothing prevented cloudiness. And if you think I’m making the testing different values up:
image.jpg
I’m your tank, what’s the current no3 and po4

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jDoSe how often are you using vodka to clean your tank?

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m your tank, what’s the current no3 and po4
I have not dosed a single drop of anything so far. Don’t want to jinx it. Been running with only 5lb liverock for one week. No filtration media, just a little filterfloss.
Reading hot out the oven:
image.jpg

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jDoSe how often are you using vodka to clean your tank?
Again, in which trial?
I am well aware vodka is a carbon source. I feel a lot of questions can be answered by reading the other thread. I know it’s a lot though. ;)
I cleaned it with vodka this last trial with the liverock. I then rinsed then dried it multiple times.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back