Explanation for varying results of liverock vs bottled bacteria?

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with dry rock and bottled bacteria. After five weeks I added 10 lbs of live rock, had a bacterial bloom from some of the dead halimed, finished cycling and added fish.

If l could have I would use all live rock.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, in which trial?
I am well aware vodka is a carbon source. I feel a lot of questions can be answered by reading the other thread. I know it’s a lot though. ;)
I cleaned it with vodka this last trial with the liverock. I then rinsed then dried it multiple times.
I have read it now, there something that you are adding to the tank that is contaminated for sure just need to figure out what is it, almost a year is a long time for the issue to persist. In the other thread you mentioned in doing a experiment with 3 containers of water, did you got to carry out the experiment? The reason I say this is if you have a container of water coming straight out of the tap and becoming cloudy you may have a health issue at hand never mind the tank and you should inform the local authorities.
On the other hand I could ask you to do a few simple test to try and figure out the source, to mind I would consider the ammonia source could be contaminated, are you still using the same source of ammonia for all the times you tried setting up the tank? Other thing you could try is to use chlorine to kill all the bacteria in the water, let it evaporate and then set up the tank. There’s more test you can do to evaluate the origin of the problem if you interested in discussing it further.

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are asking people to go to a lot of trouble to try to help you ... Why should we read through an old thread? If you want help, please describe the issue/ answer the questions posed...
There’s so much wrong with this post…
1) It’s not just “an old thread”. It’s my thread documenting everything that’s been tried.
2) You read it if you find the topic interesting and want to propose a test that hasn’t been tried.
3) Noone is forcing you to contribute.
4) Read the title of this thread and the first post. Not every thread is an issue that needs solving. The purpose of the thread was to come up with some explanations on the varying results between liverock and bottled bacteria.
5) If you have nothing positive to contribute, or well…nothing at all to contribute, stay of of threads…

OP
OP
jDoSe

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read it now, there something that you are adding to the tank that is contaminated for sure just need to figure out what is it, almost a year is a long time for the issue to persist. In the other thread you mentioned in doing a experiment with 3 containers of water, did you got to carry out the experiment? The reason I say this is if you have a container of water coming straight out of the tap and becoming cloudy you may have a health issue at hand never mind the tank and you should inform the local authorities.
On the other hand I could ask you to do a few simple test to try and figure out the source, to mind I would consider the ammonia source could be contaminated, are you still using the same source of ammonia for all the times you tried setting up the tank? Other thing you could try is to use chlorine to kill all the bacteria in the water, let it evaporate and then set up the tank. There’s more test you can do to evaluate the origin of the problem if you interested in discussing it further.
I have not done the three container test. I have to go to the container store and get some nice acrylic cubes.
I am worried it is something unhealthy in the water. I have contacted the city water department to test it many times. They never respond.
The ammonia source is lab/food grade. I have also tried dr tims ammonia. It also gets cloudy without adding any ammonia. Confirmed that over 5 times.
I don’t want to do any chlorine tests, but i did plan on boiling the rodi water before using it. That was the next step, but the liverock worked.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back