Export

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is too much export a thing?

Starting the battle with GHA and just skimming through the internet and seeing alot about exporting.

Right now in my 90g i have 60lbs of live rock, filter sock changed weekly, heavy skimming emptied weekly, chaeto, and bi-weekly water changes. Lighting is blues 20% whites 10% blues are on 10hrs and whites 4 hr a day

No CUC yet working on getting alot cause i feed my tank one cube of mysis 2x a day for 3 fish and 3 lps frags

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely is. I think as the hobby progresses more and more we realise that ultra low nutrients isn't exactly necessary. I see plenty of people complain that they cannot get detectable no3 and po4. Some of us almost wish we had that issue;)
I think as filtration becomes more advanced and efficient it does pose more of a problem of too much export.
I am starting to see more and more very well respected people in the hobby state that higher po4 is not an issue. Even at levels that were probably previously thought of as insanely high.

You may just be going through the early uglies. Cuc is definitely very important.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely is. I think as the hobby progresses more and more we realise that ultra low nutrients isn't exactly necessary. I see plenty of people complain that they cannot get detectable no3 and po4. Some of us almost wish we had that issue;)
I think as filtration becomes more advanced and efficient it does pose more of a problem of too much export.
I am starting to see more and more very well respected people in the hobby state that higher po4 is not an issue. Even at levels that was probably previously thought of as insanely high.

You may just be going through the early uglies. Cuc is definitely very important.
Ya my no3 and po4 are low but not 0, my tank is 2 1/2 yrs running now, but im deffently gonna get a very good cuc and scrub a rock one a month til all of them have been done. And im wonder if i have too much cause i cant seem to get my no3 or po4 up any higher.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya my no3 and po4 are low but not 0, my tank is 2 1/2 yrs running now, but im deffently gonna get a very good cuc and scrub a rock one a month til all of them have been done. And im wonder if i have too much cause i cant seem to get my no3 or po4 up any higher.
I think one thing I am guilty of is not replenishing cuc over time. I added me initial crew but I'm sure many have been lost due to attrition. I definitely need to beef mine back up as well.

One thing I can be happy about is that my trochus are spawning. I see tons of tiny little babies but will be quite some time I'm sure before they start mowing the lawn.

Tuxedo urchin definitely a major work horse. Fo you have any fish as part of your cuc?

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one thing I am guilty of is not replenishing cuc over time. I added me initial crew but I'm sure many have been lost due to attrition. I definitely need to beef mine back up as well.

One thing I can be happy about is that my trochus are spawning. I see tons of tiny little babies but will be quite some time I'm sure before they start mowing the lawn.

Tuxedo urchin definitely a major work horse. Fo you have any fish as part of your cuc?
I have linear blenny, but i also see my blue dot puffer picking at areas, sharping its beak or eat idk . Im looking at getting a lawnmower blenny

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have linear blenny, but i also see my blue dot puffer picking at areas, sharping its beak or eat idk . Im looking at getting a lawnmower blenny
What size is your tank?
Lawnmower is definitely a worker. Mine grazes all day. Recently added a blue eye tang. He is definitely a worker.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugiums seem to have been a real game changer... at least the well lit macro-algae ones.

I have 7 fish, 20+ frags, and dozens and dozens of snails in a 65g and am holding at 2N and occasionally detectable P with no skimmer or socks. I have to dose P. Not boasting, it's not where I even want my numbers. Just sayin, I think it's as much about the widespread use of fuges as anything else... at least in <2yo tanks.

OP
OP
R

Robbie_b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 75. I think the small blue eye I got is a great fit. Small enough for the tank size but always grazing. Especially the back wall that I never touch
I will look into getting one
Refugiums seem to have been a real game changer... at least the well lit macro-algae ones.

I have 7 fish, 20+ frags, and dozens and dozens of snails in a 65g and am holding at 2N and occasionally detectable P with no skimmer or socks. I have to dose P. Not boasting, it's not where I even want my numbers. Just sayin, I think it's as much about the widespread use of fuges as anything else... at least in <2yo tanks.
My fug is doing good, chaeto grows from baseball size to like a cantaloupe maybe alittle bigger in 2 to 3 weeks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back