Exposing corals / coraline algae to air during water changes. Am I doing something bad?

BRS

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'd guess your lights are probably fine.

My coraline algae started about 4 months in - little itty bitty spots here and there on the rocks. Nothing on the glass. But it never really grew much - just dots. Then I battled dinos for what seemed like forever, and frankly nothing was growing well during that time. But then it just exploded, starting sometime around the beginning of april. It's growing in spots that are only about 100 PAR. Now it seems to grow everywhere - EXCEPT, above the water change line, on the glass.
Very interesting, I wonder what it is.

Top Shelf Aquatics

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
i don't know what cause coraline algea did not grow above the water line in your tank, but back in the day and until now, live rock with coraline encrushed ship dry with nothing but damp paper cover it world wide for few days before we can put in our tank and no die back of coraline algae. Maybe something on the glass that coraline algae could not attach to? or maybe sudden exposed to high PAR by out of water compare to low PAR under water? Regardless, you can try to attach small piece of rock with coraline algae above the water change line and see if they die after few water changes. if they didn't die, then something on the glass prevent them to grow.

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
i don't know what cause coraline algea did not grow above the water line in your tank, but back in the day and until now, live rock with coraline encrushed ship dry with nothing but damp paper cover it world wide for few days before we can put in our tank and no die back of coraline algae. Maybe something on the glass that coraline algae could not attach to? or maybe sudden exposed to high PAR by out of water compare to low PAR under water? Regardless, you can try to attach small piece of rock with coraline algae above the water change line and see if they die after few water changes. if they didn't die, then something on the glass prevent them to grow.
I like it, a good experiment to try.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

What's the main reason you take on DIY reefing projects?

• Save Money

Votes: 105 34.2%
  • You Like To Make Things

Votes: 108 35.2%
  • Necessity, you want it a certain way

Votes: 78 25.4%
  • Time, you need it quick

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 3.6%