Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exquisite Butterflyfish / Chaetodon austriacus

swannyson7-albums-butterfly-database-picture16107-exquisite-butterfly.jpg

SCIENTIFIC NAME: Chaetodon austriacus

COMMON NAME: Exquisite Butterflyfish

SIZE: 5.1†(13 cm)

MIN. AQUARIUM SIZE: 55 US Gal (208 L)

FOODS & FEEDING: The Exquisite Butterflyfish has a specialized diet of corals polyps, feeding primarily on Acropora corals. It is often reluctant to accept substitutes in captivity, but may eat preparations such as vitamin enriched live brine shrimp, clam, or mashed squid or shrimp on a bleached stony coral skeleton. Once feeding, this fish should be offered crustacean flesh, mysid shrimp, and frozen preparations for carnivores. Should be fed at least 3 times per day.

REEF COMPATIBILITY: No. Obligate corallivore that will eat stony corals, gastropod eggs, and sea anemones.

CAPTIVE CARE: Reports exist of success with this fish in captivity and feeding, but this is rare, so hobbyists should ensure that the fish is eating prior to purchase. Acclimation of this fish to captivity is a rarity and if attempted must be done when the fish is young. The Exquisite Butterflyfish may be kept singly or as a pair, but will stake out a large area for its territory and may be aggressive towards other food competitors and members of its own species.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back