Exquisite Wrasse seeking a peaceful Wrasse Roommate!

Shaingrala70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gal soft coral reef tank that has quite a bit of live rock in it with caves and shelves, as well as free swim space. I just recently added 2 wrasse to my tank, 1 exquisite and the other, I am embarrassed to say, I just read wrasse and liked the color of, which was fuchsia with vertical stripes and white dots in a line near the dorsal fin, so I bought it but I don't know what kind it was. The first night the exquisite was out swimming around and eating with no issues and the other hid. I turned off the lights to help them acclimate. The next day, the pink one came out like a little firecracker! It was smaller than my exquisite, but it was very aggressive to the exquisite. Chasing it and almost hunting it. Never harming it, but never letting the exquisite settle for very long. I turned lights off again after feeding and crossed my fingers that they would settle in as neither were aggressive to my other fish or coral. This afternoon, I turned the lights back on to feed and was once again dismayed to see the aggression still towards the exquisite. Because I have had a loss of a dog face puffer in the past due to Ich in my tank brought on by aggression from a Niger Trigger towards the puffer, and not wanting to got through all that it took to rid myself of it, I ended up pulling the live rock and catching the pink wrasse and releasing it into my husbands 240 gal mixed reef tank that houses other more established and full size wrasses. Again the pink one went into hiding, but later came out and swam around with no interest in either of the other wrasses in the tank. I am so confused as they are a rainbow fairy and a lumenier wrasse. I still want to add at least one other wrasse to my tank, or possibly 2, but I am so confused with with all the varying information out there as to compatibility and reef safety, so I am asking for help! I really loved the striking fuchsia color and am looking for something similar or with orange or purple that will coexist with the exquisite. Any suggestions of wrasse, or other compatible fish that would work with those colors would be greatly appreciated. I looked at a dotty back, but was told that would not work due to some of the other tank mates that already exist in my tank. Seriously confused!

My tank currently has
1 coral beauty
1 watchman goby and pistol shrimp
1 pygmy angel
1 black cap basslet
1 blue spotted puffer
1 scooter blenny
2 ocellaris clownfish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Possum wrasse

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back