Extended blackout to combat GHA

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1350 should be fine. Would try it again. Will add that upwards of 1400 would/can help with your gha too

OP
OP
LucasRe

LucasRe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered that I added a piece of rock from my display tank into the sump of a little nano tank project I started. Just pulled it out to have a look and no GHA! So it does seem that whatever strain of GHA I have is photosynthetic and will die off without any light.

That piece has sat in the sump for 2 weeks as of today.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very concerning. Did you ever get on top of it?
I ended up dumping those rocks (I was using them strictly for bacteria purposes to keep my fish alive while they lived in the brutes). I actually made a post on how resilient GHA is, using that as an example. The algae grew with no lights and little to no nutrients.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congratulations on the battle that matters - getting rid of the algae is the Coraline on the cake....

do you have access to Donabella slugs?

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get my Donabella to touch my hair algae, like he will straight up go around it…LFS said he would take care of it in days.

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your health battle - that is #1. For the GHA all I can offer is "good luck". I had a nano tank with weak lighting and lots of coralline, and while I never tried a black-out for that long, I tried everything else possible to fight bad GHA outbreaks. Manual removal (which is impossible to get even close to all of it, and I think also spreads it faster), lights out for a few weeks, low blue light only for weeks, starving the tank, snails, hermits, emerald crabs, urchins, etc., etc., etc. I did a rip clean taking the rock out and scrubbing with peroxide and cleaning the sand and tank. THREE times. I tried everything you will read about, other than adding chemical treatments. Nothing ever stopped it from coming back with a vengeance. Nothing eats it. It grows in light or darkness. It grows with or without nutrients. I finally gave up. I threw away the rocks and sand, sanitized the tank and equipment, and started over. It was a nano tank and easy to do. I live in fear of it coming to my large tank, as I honestly don't know how it can be defeated. I wish you luck in your battle. I got my butt kicked...

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tooth brush and a hose ran into a filter sock. Start a syphon into the sock, put on some good music and start scrubbing.

OP
OP
LucasRe

LucasRe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, here’s the escalation plan;

As each step fails I move to the next, more aggressive step

1. Fix the nutrient import/export imbalance - DONE
2. Reasonable manual removal - DONE
3. Blackout period - IN PROGRESS
4. Extreme manual removal (Pull a few rocks a night and manually remove as much algae as possible while watching TV) - IN PROGRESS
5. Hydrogen peroxide spray (Pull a few rocks a night and spray with hydrogen peroxide, rinse and place back into tank).
6. Chemical warfare (Fluconazole or Vibrant, will need to get the algae 100% identified prior to ensure I'm choosing a solution that might actually work.)
7. Nuclear option (Kill the rock with high levels of radiation, will anything living in/on the rock - full reset. Will need to plan on dealing with the aftermath of the bacterial die off, rock will no longer be cycled afterwards.)

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucas glad to hear you are in good health. Keep removing the rocks and scrubbing them with a stiff bristle brush in a bucket of water. You will win. Also do an ATI water test. It will test your RO water also. This will give you a definite answer. Good luck.

OP
OP
LucasRe

LucasRe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the blackout looked to be doing very little so I continued onto a more extreme manual removal - almost all the rocks came out (some I got lazy and just flipped over ) for a good scrub. The tank is looking much better now, a few more pieces to take care of and a good sand bed vacuuming is in order but here we are;

47945753-404A-47D8-B026-34A12990D196.jpeg

Back