External flukes?

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice on this one. So my 120 fowlr, I had a horrific velvet/ich outbreak a while back. Ended up deciding to treat the display tank. Got a Hanna copper checker to be sure all was well and ran the copper from .6 - .8 for around 2 months. Fish were looking great and all that. I slowly decreased copper and appear to have it out of the tank now as of 2-3 weeks ago. Had yet to run prazipro on the tank but was aware one of my fish definitely had a fluke problem.

today, I check the tank and two of my fish seem to have these protruding white bumps on their body, look a little to large/patchy to be ich imo, I will try and upload pictures when I get a chance. These fish are a French Angel and porcupine puffer, surprisingly my fish showing signs of gill flukes is clear and so is my tang, leading me to believe it’s not ich.

just did a full round of prazi as this is puzzling me, not looking forward to having to manage copper again if this is some weird ich thing.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be exclusively on the body and not really on the fins. With this picture it does look a lot more like ich so it’s stressing me out :,)

Attachments

• 1DBDE1FE-A353-4A97-8588-C0EA743226A7.jpeg
    1DBDE1FE-A353-4A97-8588-C0EA743226A7.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get some better pictures maybe from the front cause they are sticking out quite a bit and have white patches/circles around them. The porcupine is showing similar

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump- just looking for a game plan before this gets any worse
What copper med did you use?

There is a "thing" that I call mucus plugs, that show up on fish, often during/after copper treatments. It seems that the skin cells produce excess white mucus due to some apparent irritation. I've seen this on both angels and puffers. However, these are larger, and usually protrude from the skin as sort of a cone shape. The spots in your pic seem smaller, and sure do look like ich. One other thing though - these mucus plugs are usually seen on the body, not on the fins, while ich can be on both the fins and body. I wrote up some info on this at this link (you need to click on the PDF link at the right side of the page)

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/

If you can, try to watch the specific location of the spots - if they come and go, over a couple of days, and change in numbers, it could be ich. The mucus plugs will be in the same location each day and then just go away on their own.

Jay

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper med did you use?

There is a "thing" that I call mucus plugs, that show up on fish, often during/after copper treatments. It seems that the skin cells produce excess white mucus due to some apparent irritation. I've seen this on both angels and puffers. However, these are larger, and usually protrude from the skin as sort of a cone shape. The spots in your pic seem smaller, and sure do look like ich. One other thing though - these mucus plugs are usually seen on the body, not on the fins, while ich can be on both the fins and body. I wrote up some info on this at this link (you need to click on the PDF link at the right side of the page)

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/

If you can, try to watch the specific location of the spots - if they come and go, over a couple of days, and change in numbers, it could be ich. The mucus plugs will be in the same location each day and then just go away on their own.

Jay
I think this may be it, they are on the fins of the puffer but only on the skin with the Angel, appear very bump-like. I used Cupramine as my copper. Also have noted that the bumps have faded a lot on the Angel 12 hours after prazi. I’m gonna try and get some better pictures

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attempted to take a video. I was in a rush this morning snapping a picture and going but the more I look at it, it looks a lot like lymphocystis. I’d say these would be pretty large specks to be ich

Attachments

• IMG_5641.MOV
    15.9 MB
OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was also looking at one of your papers, it looks similar to this on the puffer but more profound circular shape, only near the edges for the most part. They have that similar coloration on the Angel as well, like a faded circle with a little white bump in center

Attachments

• 4594D753-A7F4-44BF-ADFD-783BE0885676.jpeg
    4594D753-A7F4-44BF-ADFD-783BE0885676.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 48

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't see anything on the angelfish in the video. The puffer visually has the same spots one of mine does. I'm suspecting either a broken fin ray or a xenoma on our puffer (we've had it for almost 10 years). It's had them for weeks with no other issues. Our vets are going to do a biopsy this week to try and figure out what it is.

Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back