Extra hermit crab without a shell appeared out of nowhere?!!

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a small CUC to my first tank 3 days ago of only TWO hermit crabs and a Nassarius snail.

I was looking at my tank this morning and saw on the sand bed what looks to be a dead hermit crab without a shell as far as I can tell.
My LFS did not have extra shells to put in the tank so I thought one of the hermits left his shell and could not find a replacement.

I felt bad thinking i should have got the extra shells first but them looking around the tank some more I saw both of my hermits walking around in there shells!!!

Where could this third one have come from? Can they breed that quickly or maybe it was dead and stuck in the rock and they just dug it out?

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I didnt even think of the possibility of a molt! Total beginner here, thanks guys!

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does mean that the crab is growing and will need a bigger shell at some point.
Yes, I am looking for extra shells right now. Do they need to be a specific type?

I am seeing a nice variety pack of shells at an arts and craft store here but they aren’t specified as for hermit crabs

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am looking for extra shells right now. Do they need to be a specific type?

I am seeing a nice variety pack of shells at an arts and craft store here but they aren’t specified as for hermit crabs
your local fish store probably has them, that would be the easiest solution.
My parents found them on the beaches in PEI a few years ago, my hermits are wearing them now. So they are available in Canada, just much harder to find. Check kijiji and stuff like that too, I've seen fellow hobbyists sell them.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

order shells on reef cleaners, or from your LFS. shells froms arts and crafts stores can have paint and such on them which will harm the crabs and tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn’t use them from a craft store either.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back