Extreme Water Clarity and Cyano Eradication, Made Easy!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g with a 1375GPH pump + return pump on medium-high. I have heavy amounts of live rock in my tank that break up the flow too, so there are probably some dead spots

I never include returns in turnover rate but you are running 25 times turn over IF that pump is always at that GPH. I personally would run less calcium carbonate in your dose if you are needing to blow if off of rocks.

To give you an idea I run about 28000 GPH in just powerhead flow in my 300, i’m 99% SPS though and run a much heavier dose of calcium carbonate mixed with a bit of coral food and nothing settles.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never include returns in turnover rate but you are running 25 times turn over IF that pump is always at that GPH. I personally would run less calcium carbonate in your dose if you are needing to blow if off of rocks.

To give you an idea I run about 28000 gph in just powerhead flow in my 300, i’m 99% SPS though and run a much heavier dose of calcium carbonate mixed with a bit of coral food and nothing settles.
Oh that's not including the return pump, this is what I use
1655533757352.png

I have to blow detritus off my rocks regularly, you can see my setup in my build thread

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's not including the return pump, this is what I use
1655533757352.png

I have to blow detritus off my rocks regularly, you can see my setup in my build thread

if you are needing to blow off the rocks due to detritus regularly, and your budget allows, you may want to look at upping your flow a bit. Either way, as long as your tank is doing well stick with what you’re doing.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I do not use UV. I have never really had a need for it. All of my fish are sourced locally and go through QT before being added to my setup(s).

The biggest key my success is the use of carbon dosing and bacteria. Many years back, 15 or so, I was one of the first to push vodka dosing. I am currently writing up an article concerning carbon dosing and many of my best practices. I try and keep things simple in my setups, omitting technology and needless tests when I can.

The newest generation had moved away from some of the basic and core tenants of the hobby concerning real live rock, skimming, water changes and flow. Dino's and many other afflictions are now much more prevalent and I believe that this is largely due to the loss of the basics.

There is no wrong way to maintain an aquarium but there is a better way. Hopefully the information that has made me successful can aid some here. I learn something everyday from reefers of all levels of experience.

I agree 100% with that.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To give you an idea I run about 28000 GPH in just powerhead flow in my 300, i’m 99% SPS though and run a much heavier dose of calcium carbonate mixed with a bit of coral food and nothing settles.
Don't mean to go off topic, do you still only have 4 MP60's and if so how are you getting 28000 GPH unless you are running constant speed continuously at 90% and if so I am curious on how your corals like constant speed? I tried constant speed once with 2 MP60's and 2 MP40's one each on opposite sides and when the water met at center tank it created a vortex similar to a water spout / tornado.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to go off topic, do you still only have 4 MP60's and if so how are you getting 28000 GPH unless you are running constant speed continuously at 90% and if so I am curious on how your corals like constant speed? I tried constant speed once with 2 MP60's and 2 MP40's one each on opposite sides and when the water met at center tank it created a vortex similar to a water spout / tornado.

4 MP60’s on the sides and 2 MP40’s on the back wall all on tidal swell, switching to constant, then to reef crest each at different times. 28k was based on adding up all the pumps in mobius. To your point it could be more or less at any point. I target 75-100x

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0183.JPG

I feel sorry for Keanu Reefs and Reefs Whiterspoon RN
got-game-of-thrones.gif

Looks great this morning, and I definitely overdosed (I put about a tbs in a container with tank water and added it to my return chamber)

Im a believer!

Attachments

• IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 110

FBat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello SunnyX,

Thank you for this very interesting topic !

For 500ML of solution, add 10 level tablespoons of powder to roughly 425-450ML of RO/DI water.

Could you please tell us the approx amount in ml or gr (or lb or oz) instead of level tablespoon for 500ml of your dosage recommandation as starting point ? using Heiltropfen powder (just received it a few hours ago here).

Last edited:

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello SunnyX,

Thank you for this very interesting topic !

Could you please tell us the approx amount in ml or gr (or lb or oz) instead of level tablespoon for 500ml of your dosage recommandation as starting point ? using Heiltropfen powder (just received it a few hours ago here).
It doesn't have to be exact...I did 12 tablespoons from the start. All parameters remained unchanged. Someone in here broke it down to grams

FBat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. This question because I found different values for tablespoon level volume (ml), and in my kitchen a tablespoon level of CaCO3 is only 4gr (!). As a starting point I will go for 150gr/CaCO3 per 500ml preparation, and 5ml/50gl(200l) dosage for the tank.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing this for about 4 years weekly, this was discussed years ago an an FYI-

I personally have always used this product as I tend to want to trust loudwolf more than some random seller on Amazon-

5164B2F7-8FCE-41BB-BECC-034B2E6CE91D.jpeg

My recipe 2x a week for my 300-

1 tsp benepets
5 tsp calcium carbonate
12 drops of coral vitalizer

F3725D1C-8090-490E-803C-B02B1743F0D2.jpeg

This is about after 45 mins-
26E6AB52-DC8A-4978-88B6-837809E2D4CD.jpeg

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I think I made an uh oh lol.

Question. how much should this raise alkalinity at the recommended 1ml per 10 gal?

been using this almost daily to help clear up some Cyano at 1ml per 10g (10tbs in a 500ml bottle of RODI water) and my alk went up from 8 to 10.9 in my weekly testing. One of my $5 tester acros rtn’d over night in the middle of the week and the others definitely aren’t happy. Getting some thin skin and bleached tips on a couple. No polyp extension on any.

Do you think daily 25% water changes are safe to bring it back in range or should I do a lower percentage? The first water change says it should bring it down to 10.175 from 10.9dkh (see chart below). Base water should be around 8dkh

9D2C3585-AD55-4D57-A28E-C56B8BC83771.jpeg

On the plus side Im learning from the mistake and at least my water and sand bed has never looked better lol.

Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I think I made an uh oh lol.

Question. how much should this raise alkalinity at the recommended 1ml per 10 gal?

been using this almost daily to help clear up some Cyano at 1ml per 10g (10tbs in a 500ml bottle of RODI water) and my alk went up from 8 to 10.9 in my weekly testing. One of my $5 tester acros rtn’d over night in the middle of the week and the others definitely aren’t happy. Getting some thin skin and bleached tips on a couple. No polyp extension on any.

Do you think daily 25% water changes are safe to bring it back in range or should I do a lower percentage? The first water change says it should bring it down to 10.175 from 10.9dkh (see chart below). Base water should be around 8dkh

9D2C3585-AD55-4D57-A28E-C56B8BC83771.jpeg

On the plus side Im learning from the mistake and at least my water and sand bed has never looked better lol.

Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks
I don't think calcium carbonate should be raising your ALK? Randy wrote an article on it and some other stuff way back when...I can hardly digest it so maybe you can get some insight.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back