Extreme Water Clarity and Cyano Eradication, Made Easy!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused about this and the lack of some poster that I really trust there opinions that haven’t posted. Why hasn’t more people done this over the years? Is this just coming to light?

As you can see im skeptical.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m giving this a try right now. I’m on day three and can see improvements. My fingers are crossed.https://youtu.be/VgMJQ9RSKus

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am so confused about this and the lack of some poster that I really trust there opinions that haven’t posted. Why hasn’t more people done this over the years? Is this just coming to light?

As you can see im skeptical.
I don't know what you are trying say but...

"Snow" is an existing product you can buy, the OP is just showing you a DIY version and his recipe for it.

I also tried it and added in to my tank. Nothing died and everyone is fine in my mixed reef...

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what you are trying say but...

"Snow" is an existing product you can buy, the OP is just showing you a DIY version and his recipe for it.

I also tried it and added in to my tank. Nothing died and everyone is fine in my mixed reef...
Just saying if its so awesome why isn’t everyone doing it. Thats all.

i just got some cyano on my sand bed and looking for remedies

Last edited:

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don’t run this method, I’m thinking the reason most people don’t run it is because it’s more of an old school method. Marine snow has been around as far back as I can remember since I started in late 2003/2004. A lot of the old methods aren’t used anymore in favor of newer products/methods.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just saying if its so awesome why isn’t everyone doing it. Thats all.

i just got some cyano on my sand bed and looking for remedies
Again, a lot of people do buy an off the shelves product called coral snow. This is a DIY version... as far as methods are concerned tho there are a ton of things people do, like some people will dose peroxide for a similar idea (clear water, rid of nausance algea etc) or buy ready made products... like Dr Tims Waste Away, Vibrant, REEF rx, even microbacter7 says will make water crystal clear w frequent dosing. It's up to you the reefer to try different things and research to see what works for you.

Last edited:

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Trying my luck with this.
Will post results tomorrow
I blew off rocks and added the calcium carbonate a couple minutes ago.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may need custom directions to get this tank cleaned up. I’m on day five of this program and my rocks are still full of junk. I really don’t want to pull a “let’s go Brandon” but I don’t know if this tank is going to clean up without a rip clean. Thanks for any help!!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dose it once per week in my all Acropora tank.

Note that I erroneously dosed over 1ml per gallon a few weeks ago with no effect to Acropora. It did make a huge mess and I had to blow off the superfluous 'snow' off of the rockwork with a small powerhead. It looked like a tank full of milk and the fish would swim up against the glass and give me a 'what the heck' look. LOL

Aquaman11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SunnyX,

I began your coral snow dosing method and it has changed my life...at least my reefing life. I've been following your instructions for coral snow dosing with Microbacter 7, and after nearly 3 years of battling what appeared to be some sort of film algae, my tank has never looked better. I began dosing once a day for 2 weeks and have been amazed at the results. I will continue to dose the coral snow/Microbacter 7 slowly reducing the dosing frequency from every day to once weekly. The long term effectiveness in combating my problem remains to be seen, but for the first time, I feel like I'm getting ahead of this. I included a few pictures taken today. Thank you from a very grateful reefer for sharing your information!

For anyone interested in the evolution of this problem, I've included a brief summary.
20220721_120428.jpg
20220721_120036.jpg
20220721_120236.jpg

My current SPS dominant system is a 180 gallon tank with an estimated total volume of 200 gallons and is 3 1/2 years old. A few months after cycling, I encountered what appeared to be classic-looking cyano. Eventually the cyano dissipated but shortly after, the tank started getting a film on the rocks, sand, and glass that was reddish brown in color. My first thought was diatoms so I tested for silica and my water tested 0. I use a Spectrapure RO/DI and change filter cartridges faithfully using only 0 TDS water. Over the three years I tried double dosing Chemiclean, raising nutrients, lowering nutrients, black-out periods (the film algae or whatever it was, is definitely photosynthetic), Vibrant, Microbacter 7, Microbacter Clean, hydrogen peroxide, daily glass cleaning and sand vacuuming. Some of these methods knocked the problem back for a short time, but none of them eliminated it. It did not appear as though the nuisance algae adversely affected any corals or fish. It did however, affect the tank's appearance and greatly increased my maintenance work load to keep it from getting out of hand. I'm interested to hear from anyone who may have had a similar experience.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
another win!
SunnyX,

I began your coral snow dosing method and it has changed my life...at least my reefing life. I've been following your instructions for coral snow dosing with Microbacter 7, and after nearly 3 years of battling what appeared to be some sort of film algae, my tank has never looked better. I began dosing once a day for 2 weeks and have been amazed at the results. I will continue to dose the coral snow/Microbacter 7 slowly reducing the dosing frequency from every day to once weekly. The long term effectiveness in combating my problem remains to be seen, but for the first time, I feel like I'm getting ahead of this. I included a few pictures taken today. Thank you from a very grateful reefer for sharing your information!

For anyone interested in the evolution of this problem, I've included a brief summary.
20220721_120428.jpg
20220721_120036.jpg
20220721_120236.jpg

My current SPS dominant system is a 180 gallon tank with an estimated total volume of 200 gallons and is 3 1/2 years old. A few months after cycling, I encountered what appeared to be classic-looking cyano. Eventually the cyano dissipated but shortly after, the tank started getting a film on the rocks, sand, and glass that was reddish brown in color. My first thought was diatoms so I tested for silica and my water tested 0. I use a Spectrapure RO/DI and change filter cartridges faithfully using only 0 TDS water. Over the three years I tried double dosing Chemiclean, raising nutrients, lowering nutrients, black-out periods (the film algae or whatever it was, is definitely photosynthetic), Vibrant, Microbacter 7, Microbacter Clean, hydrogen peroxide, daily glass cleaning and sand vacuuming. Some of these methods knocked the problem back for a short time, but none of them eliminated it. It did not appear as though the nuisance algae adversely affected any corals or fish. It did however, affect the tank's appearance and greatly increased my maintenance work load to keep it from getting out of hand. I'm interested to hear from anyone who may have had a similar experience.

Beautiful tank. another win!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone done this and only done it one time and done or once you do this you have to use it forever. Like other products in the market. I have everything to dk this to my tank just curious.

I have a small area in my tank that has red algae on the sand and i got the uglies pretty good to.

Has anyone used this in a newer tank. Mines inly 6 months old. Just nervous to add stuff to my tank.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone done this and only done it one time and done or once you do this you have to use it forever. Like other products in the market. I have everything to dk this to my tank just curious.

I have a small area in my tank that has red algae on the sand and i got the uglies pretty good to.

Has anyone used this in a newer tank. Mines inly 6 months old. Just nervous to add stuff to my tank.

Hello,

I dose it once a week after conducting a 25% water change. Depending on the severity of the cyano or issues in the tank, you can safely dose this every other day.

I recommend the dosage every other day and once the cyano is cleared up, dose once a week for maintenance. So, yes, you would need to dose this weekly, forever.

The Coral Snow will not cause any harm or issues in the system, regardless of age.

-Sonny

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back