Extremely Diverse Biome w/o Possible Hitchhikers

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't stay out of this thread, haha

One more thought...

I've experimented with a lot of the products and sources mentioned in this thread (this topic is very, very up my alley) and I've found that there is a scale of effectiveness as it pertains to the diversity of the biome and the perceived benefits on the tank. Now this is of course just my own experience through observations on my own tanks/systems and fellow reefers I've worked with who have wanted to improve biome.
  • Bottled bacterias come in at the bottom of the list
  • Live mud is in the middle
  • Live sand in the middle, usually above live mud
  • Live rock is at the top
These are obviously some of the hardest things to qualify as being effective or ineffective; and bottled bacterias are the definition of this, evidenced by the many that passionately believe in them vs the many that still consider them snake oil.

Toward the top of the list, you start to talk about things that I think show actual evidence in effectiveness. True live rock will straight up skip your tank's need for a cycle. It also adds instant maturity. You know – the same stuff that people like to talk about when they tell people they need to wait a year before adding things like acropora to a tank. When I've started tanks with KPA rock, I begin adding acropora in the first week. And these are the tanks that have been my most successful tanks. No ugly stage, no bacterial imbalances resulting in dinos and cyano that re-occur over and over. And less general "mysteries" that seem to plague tanks started with dry rock and dead sand.

Also notable with my "list of effectiveness", is that the general association with hitchhikers and perceived pests rises as you move up the list.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't stay out of this thread, haha

One more thought...

I've experimented with a lot of the products and sources mentioned in this thread (this topic is very, very up my alley) and I've found that there is a scale of effectiveness as it pertains to the diversity of the biome and the perceived benefits on the tank. Now this is of course just my own experience through observations on my own tanks/systems and fellow reefers I've worked with who have wanted to improve biome.
  • Bottled bacterias come in at the bottom of the list
  • Live mud is in the middle
  • Live sand in the middle, usually above live mud
  • Live rock is at the top
These are obviously some of the hardest things to qualify as being effective or ineffective; and bottled bacterias are the definition of this, evidenced by the many that passionately believe in them vs the many that still consider them snake oil.

Toward the top of the list, you start to talk about things that I think show actual evidence in effectiveness. True live rock will straight up skip your tank's need for a cycle. It also adds instant maturity. You know – the same stuff that people like to talk about when they tell people they need to wait a year before adding things like acropora to a tank. When I've started tanks with KPA rock, I begin adding acropora in the first week. And these are the tanks that have been my most successful tanks. No ugly stage, no bacterial imbalances resulting in dinos and cyano that re-occur over and over. And less general "mysteries" that seem to plague tanks started with dry rock and dead sand.

Also notable with my "list of effectiveness", is that the general association with hitchhikers and perceived pests rises as you move up the list.
Well said. And your experiential wisdom seems to be gaining validation by the work of folks like BRS and @AquaBiomics

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said. And your experiential wisdom seems to be gaining validation by the work of folks like BRS and @AquaBiomics
Well thanks!

I've been anxious to see what came of that biome testing BRS started so long ago! How long ago was that, a year? I was starting to think those results weren't going to see the light of day but it appears Ryan wanted to hold off until he gave the talk you posted above. But it looks like they'll be doing detailed episodes on it every Friday starting this week.

BRS doesn't get a lot of credit for their Investigates series but they're exactly what we need.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back