Eye Damage

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding the fish this morning and i have 2 trigger fish 1 niger and one pink tail they are very aggressive during feeding times and i believe one of them bit my tangs eye now its damaged and its swimming low in the tank he still ate but he usually swims all over the tank now hes swimming in one spot will this type of damage heal on its own? or should i attempt to catch him i already have an established QT tank and i have several anti biotics on hand
fish.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the eye just cloudy or is it missing?
Personally I’d try to let it heal on its own first and only pull if it looks like it’s doing bad or getting infected. Fish have amazing regeneration abilities, though if the eye is too damaged it won’t be able to see out of it again. Keep the water nice and clean and it should help.
This leporinus lost its eye and in a week or two the wound healed up very well:
0967963F-7E26-415A-89FA-F1A34ED38578.jpeg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pp
I was feeding the fish this morning and i have 2 trigger fish 1 niger and one pink tail they are very aggressive during feeding times and i believe one of them bit my tangs eye now its damaged and its swimming low in the tank he still ate but he usually swims all over the tank now hes swimming in one spot will this type of damage heal on its own? or should i attempt to catch him i already have an established QT tank and i have several anti biotics on hand
fish.jpg
please think about finding ways to reduce argo or rehoming one at some point, while this will likey heal with good params, frequent bites and agression never leads to something good

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pp

please think about finding ways to reduce argo or rehoming one at some point, while this will likey heal with good params, frequent bites and agression never leads to something good
From the description, it sounds like this was during feeding time, as though the trigger only bit in accident. Though I do agree, monitor for aggression, if there is anything substantial you may have to remove someone.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the description, it sounds like this was during feeding time, as though the trigger only bit in accident. Though I do agree, monitor for aggression, if there is anything substantial you may have to remove someone.
yes this happened during feeding ive had the triggers over a year and they are only aggressive during feeding time

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pp

they are only aggressive during feeding times no other time have they attacked any of my other fish they were going after a piece of food maybe i could try feeding in 2 spots so they all wont pile up in the same area during feeding

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While looking at eye, it seems above on its body what looks like flukes. Eye damage appears with dots on it which flukes usually show.
Give this fish a 5 minute freshwater dip in same temperature as display tank and look on bottom of tank for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If present - those are flukes. If not. . good and prepare to treat eye with Maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin and works well on eye injuries

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While looking at eye, it seems above on its body what looks like flukes. Eye damage appears with dots on it which flukes usually show.
Give this fish a 5 minute freshwater dip in same temperature as display tank and look on bottom of tank for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If present - those are flukes. If not. . good and prepare to treat eye with Maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin and works well on eye injuries
thanks but i doubt its flukes all these fish were treated for flukes about a year ago when i thought i had flukes with prazi but ill keep an eye on it if its flukes i can treat them again and i have ethromyacin but i decided im gonna wait and see if its healing before i pull him out because catching him will be a pain

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
thanks but i doubt its flukes all these fish were treated for flukes about a year ago when i thought i had flukes with prazi but ill keep an eye on it if its flukes i can treat them again and i have ethromyacin but im gonna wait and see if its healing before i pull him out because catching him will be a pain
I mentioned as precautionary. Flukes dont have a cycle and can always return.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its been a few days and its looking better its still much bigger then the other thou but it doesn't seem to be affecting him hes still eating and acting normally now
eyes.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back