Eye Injury or Parasite?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading up a bit on this, and there seems to be a phenomina occuring in my tank that has me suspicious of something, but Im not exactly sure of what. About three months ago, I noticed that one of the chalk bass in my tank showed signs of an injury to its eye. The eye protruded from the fishes head quite a bit (seemingly overnight) but it was limited to one eye, which appeared to have a "scratch" across the eye (no clouding or haziness). Since it was after introducing a few other fish and limited to one eye, I attributed the incident to an injury, The eye healed and receded back into the fishes head in ~3 weeks completely. It appears to be no worse for wear now.

A month ago, I noticed that my female swallowtail angel was exhibiting similar symptoms, even though her eye did not bulge out of her head as noticably as the chalk basses' did. Still, same symptoms - scratch across the eye, however this time the eye became cloudy and still appears to be that way, even though the "scratch" has healed over and the eye receded back to its normal state. I again attributed this issue to an injury since the fish was newly introduced and I have a few territorial fishes ( kole tang, yellow tang, goldrim tang and two bar rabbitfish) that would exhibit flarings and flashings upon "bed time". Seems easy enough to get stuck by someone in there. She still has the cloudy eye, but does not appear to have flukes based on the freshwater dip I've done.

Wednesday night I noted that I hadnt seen my twinspot hogfish in a few days. After a heavy feeding yesterday of blackworms and mysis, he popped out of the rock work, and lo and behold - scratch on the same eye as the other two and the eye is bulging out of his little fishy skull. He ate like a little pig and then zipped back into the rocks to hide. This seems too coincidental to be considered an injury, so Im wondering if perhaps there is some kind of parasite that Im dealing with? Or do I have a very specific violent tendancy in one of my fish? The hogfish show the same symptoms on the same eye as the other two, with the only difference being that it appears that on the "back" of the bulging eyeball there is a small spot that resembles an air bubble. I cant tell if its a real spot, or just the light reflecting off of the lens of the eye (he moves around quite a bit)

Thoughts? I'll attempt to get a picture up tonight, assuming he cooperates.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your angel lost sight in that eye, which is why it's still cloudy after healing. There was probably an infection in it and that's why. Sounds to me like you have a very rude fish that is not very tolerant of his tank mates being able to see properly. Feeding the fish food soaked in vitamins will help them heal faster by bolstering their immune system just a little more. The live blackworms are already doing this for you too. You can put an antibiotic in their food to help keep bacterial infections at bay while they heal. Just make sure you use a binder like Focus to make it reef safe.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my guess as well - just a weird set of circumstances... Apparently I have a fish that just hates everyone else's left eyeball? Weird. I had assumed if it was a parasite (fluke etc) that it would be present in both eyes, not just one specifically - but then again, I dont know everything about everything and if it could be a parasite then I'd rather be proactive than reactive.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my guess as well - just a weird set of circumstances... Apparently I have a fish that just hates everyone else's left eyeball? Weird. I had assumed if it was a parasite (fluke etc) that it would be present in both eyes, not just one specifically - but then again, I dont know everything about everything and if it could be a parasite then I'd rather be proactive than reactive.

If it was flukes, then it would be in both eyes. And really by the time its in their eyes it's pretty bad. I think you'd have seen at least one death from it by now. Plus you did a freshwater dip and saw nothing from that. So, ruling out flukes with the dip and it being only in one eye, AND there being a scratch each time = Hateful rude fish. lol Might wanna try to see who it is doing the damage.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps one of your tangs wants to be an opthamologist? It doesn't surprise me that they would go for a vital point like the eyes. I would watch close during feedings and see if anyone is getting a tail to the face.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps one of your tangs wants to be an opthamologist? It doesn't surprise me that they would go for a vital point like the eyes. I would watch close during feedings and see if anyone is getting a tail to the face.

Doing eye surgery with your tail is definitely not recommended. lol These fish might want to seek a second opinion.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a bully fish and/or a harmful strain of bacteria lingering in your water.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch close during feedings and see if anyone is getting a tail to the face.

There's no real aggression during feeding - I have two gourmet grazers that I stuff with nori sheets on opposite sides of the tank, plus the veggie clip which gets a 1/2 sheet. Feedings of mysis/spirulina enriched brine/live blackworms/pellets are broadcast heavily through the tank twice a day (typically) with the Neptune AFS dropping in pellets twice a day while Im not home. So I dont think the aggression is there. I think it would tend to be at night when the fish are bedding down, as there are only 2 or 3 "prime" spots that are jockeyed for upon lights out. Still, the three effected fish dwell in different areas of the tank, bed down in different areas (chalk bass in an old acorn barnacle, angelfish under one of the pump returns and the hogfish within the honeycombed rock work), so it would be unlikely that they would "fight" for the same spot.

Maybe they are all looking to be pirates for Halloween? :D

Could be a bully fish and/or a harmful strain of bacteria lingering in your water.

I'll keep an "eye out" for a culprit (Oh, Im horrible :rolleyes:), though I would have to pin it on the yellow, as he tends to initiate any aggression in the tank first - then they can all go for a game of race around the tank for ten minutes or so. Would there be any other signs if it was a bacterial issue?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep an "eye out" for a culprit (Oh, Im horrible :rolleyes:), though I would have to pin it on the yellow, as he tends to initiate any aggression in the tank first - then they can all go for a game of race around the tank for ten minutes or so. Would there be any other signs if it was a bacterial issue?

Eye infections tend to stay localized for some reason. It could be that the eyes are the preferred "point of attack" for certain strains of bacterium.

I haven't owned a YT in probably 15-20 years. Beautiful fish, but most become major ******s IME.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back