Eye Issue - Solar Wrasse

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by govolsguy31, Jun 19, 2017.

1. govolsguy31

govolsguy31 Well-Known Member

I've got a problem here. I'm wondering if this is bacterial or injury. Solar Wrasse is one of my early guys in this tank, been in there at least 6 months now. Came home today to him not eating and this on his right eye. Left eye looks fine. He's laying on the bottom of the tank in the corner, although this is not unusual. That's his spot and has spent much of his day doing this for months now. He wasn't like this 24 hours ago.

I've got a sailfin thats a bit of a bully, but never to him. There's also a lunar wrasse in the tank and a coral beauty angel. If its injury, its possible it came from one of them. The fact that its his eye makes me suspect the lunar.

It's going to be an astronomical pain to catch him if QT is necessary, but I'll do what I have to. First things first, is this bacterial or assault from another fish?

#reefsquad @melypr1985 @4FordFamily
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tags:
  2. domination2580

domination2580 Reef-a-nator R2R Supporter

Is it one eye or both?

Humblefish likes this.
  3. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award PMAS Member Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Showcase Editor Partner Member

If it's just the one eye like you said if say it's from an injury. If keep an eye out for any bullying, if there is any I would pull the wrasse and put him in qt to heal. If everything is ok if leave him be to heal. Make sure he eats as well.

Humblefish and melypr1985 like this.
  4. blkhwkz

blkhwkz Well-Known Member Partner Member

Generally if it is only one eye it is an injury, both eyes bacterial. Not always the case, but usually. I've had a few fish that looked like that or worse and in a few days to a week looked normal again without doing anything special for them.

Humblefish likes this.
  5. govolsguy31

It's just one. It's the lunar I think. In the time I posted that, he's even more beat up. Got a small patch of scales coming loose on his opposite side now.

6. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

I agree that it's most likley an injury. It does look to be getting infected though. I'd be sure to QT and if you have it, you can run erythromycin which is good for eye infections.

Maritimer, 4FordFamily and Humblefish like this.
  7. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

X2 this is how I would handle it. I would act fast.

Humblefish likes this.
  8. govolsguy31

After basically a total tank breakdown last night, I got him and the two bullies out. The bullies are down in separate chambers in my sump and the Solar Wrasse is in QT. I didn't have the meds @melypr1985 mentioned, but I found them locally here. Picking them up today at lunch to medicate. He looked ok this morning, slightly discolored, eye looks a little worse, but breathing fine. Hope this all works out.

Bullies are set to be traded on Friday an LFS in Roanoke, VA.

melypr1985, Humblefish and Maritimer like this.
  9. govolsguy31

He's still plugging along. I medicated the QT tank yesterday at lunch and then again this morning. Eye is really bulging, but has cleared up just a bit. I'll try to post another couple pictures this evening.

10. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

Did anybody mention Epsom salt to help with the swelling?

Humblefish likes this.
  11. govolsguy31

No, I don't guess so @melypr1985 how does that work?

Came home today at lunch. He still won't eat. :-/

12. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

melypr1985 likes this.
  13. govolsguy31

Thanks @Humblefish I'll try that this evening.

melypr1985 and Humblefish like this.
  14. govolsguy31

Guys, after 8 days, we have a success story! The treatment @melypr1985 recommended worked. He did lose the eye, but he's back to normal, eating like a pig. Planning on getting him back into the display in the next day or two.

Thanks everyone. R2R saved another fish. #reefsquad.

15. melypr1985

That's awesome to hear!! Yay!

4FordFamily, jsker and govolsguy31 like this.
  16. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

Way to go! :)

govolsguy31 likes this.