EZ Question? Radion Gen 4 to Apex - VDM, WXM, ReefLink?

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Quick questions about equipment I bought used. I have a 2016 Apex currently running, and I'm using WXM to control my MP40.

Now I have Gen 4 Radions to add, and with the lot I purchased, I have a ReefLink, VDM, and another WXM. Can/should I use the existing WXM to connect it to the Apex (it will work with both, right)?

The VDM is newer, right? Should I switch over to it for any particular reason?

And the ReefLink is just to control the Radions directly (without the Apex), right? Any reason to hold onto the ReefLink?

Thanks!
--Kyle

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The existing WXM should be able to handle linking all of your Radions and MP40.

I forget what the capacity is but I've run 4 Radions and 4 MP40 on a single WXM no prob.

Remember to never update the FW on your Radions or you'll be forced to migrate to Mobius and will lose controllability via Apex.

I believe the VDM is to support different protocols from vendors like Kessil for which WXM doesn't work.

Also keep the spare WXM if you think you'll stay with Apex control of your ecotech powerheads and lights. Neptune is discontinuing it.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to never update the FW on your Radions or you'll be forced to migrate to Mobius and will lose controllability via Apex.

I believe the VDM is to support different protocols from vendors like Kessil for which WXM doesn't work.

All great to know, thank you! So even the Gen 4 Radions won't work with WXM with the newest firmware? That's unfortunate! :( I just read that the Gen 5 doesn't, but seems terrible to take away functionality for the older ones.

So VDM doesn't actually even work with the Radions then, is that right? Thanks,
--Kyle

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can connect up to 11 devices to a single WXM. You can add a 2nd WXM and set it to a different channel which could then support an additional 11 devices. You cannot have more than 2 WXM's.

If you don't intend to have more than 11 devices, then just use a single WXM because it can be complicated when running 2 WXM modules. People have reported problems where occasionally a device will accidentally connect to the other WXM, causing confusion.

If you choose to use the WXM, then you do not need the ReefLink.

The VDM module is completely different than the WXM. WXM only connects wirelessly to EcoTech devices. The VDM has ports for 0-10v cables that plug in to 0-10v variable speed pumps or dimmable lights. It does not run wirelessly.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The VDM module is completely different than the WXM. WXM only connects wirelessly to EcoTech devices. The VDM has ports for 0-10v cables that plug in to 0-10v variable speed pumps or dimmable lights. It does not run wirelessly.

Thank you very much! :)
--Kyle

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I see for the Reeflink is if you might run a Vectra pump as they are NOT compatible with the WXM. I liked that the Reeflink had a little finer control of my lights, but it lacked much of the versatility of the WXM.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back