F/2 medium for phyto culture are hard to get

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to culture some phyto to culture copepods but both the F/2 medium and the starting culture are hard to get where I live (Korea).
I might be able to get my hands on some Tetraselmis (though I wanted Nannochloropsis, I'd be more than happy to get any phyto).
Now I got to look for the F/2 medium for the culture (can't get it through the person who might provide Tetraselmis).

Option 1:
I've found one place that sells F/2 medium locally online but it's not in liquid form. There's the F/2 broth, which is a dry powder, the F/2 trace metal solution (frozen), and the F/2 vitamin solution (also frozen). I need to buy all 3 (sold separately) and mix them up to make F/2 medium. For every 1 liter of F/2 medium, I need 0.11 grams of the F/2 broth that is sold in 500 grams so it'll last forever (not cheap though) but I will need one of those super precise weighing machines. For the other trace metal and vitamin solutions, I need two each for every 1 liter of the medium. So kinda cheapish if I need a ton of it but I don't. Also, the problem is, it says I need to "Sterilize in autoclave at 121°C for 15 minutes" before putting it into the final container. Not sure if I want to go through it.

Option 2:
Another option is to buy from the US and have it shipped here. Not exactly cheap with international shipping but it's a safe way to go if all else fails.

Option 3:
I've found a couple of places that may have/sell the F/2 medium locally. I'll make some phone calls after the weekend to find out if these might be cheaper than getting them from the US (option 2).

Option 4 (ditched):
I've found 'Chu 13 medium' sold in powder form sold online (locally), kinda cheap too. Chu 13 was intended for freshwater microalgae but I read it can also grow marine microalgae. BUT it is sold in "without vitamins" version only. I even thought about buying some vitamin B mix tablets for human and mixing some into the solution (been reading the list of vitamin b contents on the supplement bottles) but gave up on the Chu 13 medium altogether.

I'm sure F/2 medium is available in Korea somewhere as marine aquaculture is relatively a big industry here but just not readily available through online stores or sold in small quantities.
Another alternative is... well.. I could try culturing copepods without live phyto?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, any liquid fertilizer for plants will work.

Maybe there is a difference in "final product", in terms of phyto quality, but, on our small scale i'm really not sure that this is inportant.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a bottle of liquid plant fertilizer from any garden center, works perfectly.
Exactly, any liquid fertilizer for plants will work.

Maybe there is a difference in "final product", in terms of phyto quality, but, on our small scale i'm really not sure that this is inportant.

Would any liquid fertilizer do? I'm worried it might contain stuff that isn't good for the inverts like high levels of copper (relatively high) . I read some people use miricle gro but I'll have to find something similar that are sold here that works.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have for years one bottle, not even sure what it is, or ingridients, label is all faded, but never had issues with phyto made with this fertilizer.

Not sure also what is available to you, but i believe this is the ingridients in that fertilizer i use....

NPK 6–3–6 + Fe(EDTA) 0,02 %, B 0,015 %, Cu 0,005 %, algae extract <1 %.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt, not blind fate and trust ;)

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have for years one bottle, not even sure what it is, or ingridients, label is all faded, but never had issues with phyto made with this fertilizer.

Not sure also what is available to you, but i believe this is the ingridients in that fertilizer i use....

NPK 6–3–6 + Fe(EDTA) 0,02 %, B 0,015 %, Cu 0,005 %, algae extract <1 %.

Of course, take this with a grain of salt, not blind fate and trust ;)
Thanks for the info

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot to mention another idea I had before. It was to add the F/2 vitamin solution to Chu 13 medium without vitamins.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back