F R I G U S R E E F ‘ s 10 GALLON REEF

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyooo so you guys might remember I had problems with a forty gallon (I was way too busy for maintenance) and then I wanted to try a reef jar and was going to, but that didn’t go well... so I officially downsized to a ten gallon. *applause*

I have no pictures of progress... just of the tank with the filter some sand and a rock. Which I will put here *below*
3F8EB531-61B7-4394-A4F4-0DEFDDA723AC.jpeg

Now, let us skip forward to the finished product since I’m terrible at documenting the process.
33805207-120A-413F-A004-79E87BB7501C.jpeg

Now I’ll list equipment, livestock, et cetera.

E Q U I P M E N T :
• 10 Gallon Aqueon Tank
• 300W Mars Aqua Light
• Marineland Penguin 150 Power Filter (for Thirty gallons)
•Eheim Jager 150W

L I V E S T O C K :

FISH:
•Two Oscellaris Clownfish (Böcklin is the smaller and Angela is the larger)

INVERTS:
•Pacific Cleaner Shrimp (Fortinbrass)
•Florida Fighting Conch (Abishag)
•Purple Striped Barnacle Cluster (No-one names barnacles... that’s weird. And yes they’re alive.)

CORALS:
•Duncans
•Zoanthids
•Palythoas
•White Corky Finger Gorgonian
•Corky Finger Gorgonian
•Xenia
•Kenya Tree
•Yuma Mushroom
•Firework Clove
•Blueberry Stylophora
•Season’s Greetings Montipora
•Yellow Sea Whip

ANEMONES :
•Recovering Bleaches Green Bubble Tip Anemone
•Some other Bubble Tip Anemone it was expensive and it’s pretty cool but I forgot the name, I’ll find out.

I also used 20 lbs. of Fiji Pink sand by Caribsea and I love it the grain size is perfect. I also am using Chetomorpha and some unidentified species of macroalgae that washed up in some flotsam and jetsam on the beach.

My care plan is to just do weekly water changes, change the filter pad every half week, all the simple stuff.

My livestock plans are to gain as many Floridian species of coral as possible :D

I’ll post closer pictures of the tank as everyone gets settled in. Thanks for reading!

Postcript, I should probably say @fishguy242 gave me the ten gallon idea ;)

@Thespammailaccount @sfin52
#nanoreef #budget #10gallons

Last edited:
OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GORGEOUS tank! Could you upload a picture with more tank and less dresser, per chance? I can't make out many details in the tank itself.
Thank you!!! And of course, I just posted it :D
Constructive criticism is heavily appreciated!

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert on aquascaping, so someone else would have to give that. What is that large snail in the bottom right corner?
That’s the Florida Fighting Conch, she’s typically sleeping but sometimes she’ll wake up and graze on algae or detritus.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the Florida Fighting Conch, she’s typically sleeping but sometimes she’ll wake up and graze on algae or detritus.
They are active at night more than in the day. Thats my experience.

Any pics on bleached nem.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are active at night more than in the day. Thats my experience.

Any pics on bleached nem.
Yeeesir, here’s one:
A7C52349-6DA8-4E2D-BC5A-4551E5EC8257.jpeg

I’ve been feeding little pieces of shrimp every so often and he honestly isn’t very hungry. You might be able to see some greenish blue in the end of the tentacles

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeeesir, here’s one:
A7C52349-6DA8-4E2D-BC5A-4551E5EC8257.jpeg

I’ve been feeding little pieces of shrimp every so often and he honestly isn’t very hungry. You might be able to see some greenish blue in the end of the tentacles
Really doesn't look that bad.Jist keep giving it good light and try not to feed it much. It will recover. If you are going to feed it, feed it very small foods that are easily digestible foods. A little roids or fish eggs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really doesn't look that bad.Jist keep giving it good light and try not to feed it much. It will recover. If you are going feed it very small foods and easily digestible foods. A little roids or fish eggs.
Where can you get fish eggs? And is there any easy digestible foods at common grocery stores?

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H E L L O ~
Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday! I’m here with a tank update...
Things have been going great! The corals are doing good, a few zoanthid colonies have been acting a bit fuzzy but they’ve been open. The Duncan as well as the Mushroom is throwing off babies and they’re growing greatly. Here’s a full tank shot, you might can tell I have aquascaped and moved corals since then.
92A435AF-1A26-4993-8CC7-55C30AB6964D.jpeg
I’m really wanting to aquascape again. It just feels too crowded so I’m thinking of moving the rocks back a lot so there’s not as much space in the back, I’m thinking maybe an inch between the rock work and back glass. And then to move all the Corky Finger Gorgonians upwards.
If you guys couldn’t tell, I LOVE Gorgonians. Here’s a shot of mine...
DA817D63-F67D-4B45-8F6B-1F0A8DC44BDB.jpeg

Yes, that is my conch growing a lawn of algae in the sandbed. My hermit crabs are lazy herbivores.
Also if anyone knows what kind of blenny this is let me know! I got him from the beach. He lived in the barnacles of a Pier. It was remarkable as every time a wave would smash into the columns, as the water level went down just before another hit you’d see hundreds of these little blennies grasping onto the piles of barnacles and limpets. I caught quite a few to observe for a short amount of time and they’d change from midnight black to olive green, then to a creme belly and brown back like he is now. He doesn’t quite look like any blenny I’ve seen, he looks a little like a lawnmower but not quite, then sometimes he’ll look like a seaweed blenny, then sometimes one of those Midnight Blennies. Here’s a couple photographs...
8A422DB4-145F-4B86-814C-43412E6B29CD.jpeg

16E50479-DD56-464F-AC59-E69658AB4065.jpeg

As you’ve seen I’m also getting a bit of hair algae, I’ve put chaetomorphae in the HOB filter and manually removing green hair algae when I can. I’m sure with a few more water changes everything will be fine. :)
Any comments, constructive criticism, et cetera is heavily appreciated!
God Bless, have a great week~

-Alec

F5C6B291-C30E-4344-967D-C984195F32FC.jpeg (Edit: I have no idea why the full tank shot re-inserted itself at the bottom but it won’t delete XD oh well.)

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great... :cool: love the gorgo's;)maybe @Eagle_Steve might know blenny;):)
Where did the blenny come from? The dorsal fin looks like a seaweed blenny almost 100%. The eye to mouth spacing is also very similar.If it changes to a really dark color sometimes, and the stripes are very dark, I say 100% seaweed blenny. If so, I have about 50 in a 180. They are awesome fish.

With a really good pic of it, I could ID for sure. Caribbean and Atlantic blennies are a passion of mine lol.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did the blenny come from? The dorsal fin looks like a seaweed blenny almost 100%. The eye to mouth spacing is also very similar.If it changes to a really dark color sometimes, and the stripes are very dark, I say 100% seaweed blenny. If so, I have about 50 in a 180. They are awesome fish.

With a really good pic of it, I could ID for sure. Caribbean and Atlantic blennies are a passion of mine lol.
He’s from Orange Beach on the Gulf of Mexico on the Florida & Alabama border. (I really dig the Floridian waters kinda style.) I can try and get some more pictures. He’s a weird little fish but by far one of my favorites... the stripes are typically light and when he goes dark he goes pitch black. I thought he was a midnight until I got him in a cooler and he pulled a chameleon on me.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s from Orange Beach on the Gulf of Mexico on the Florida & Alabama border. (I really dig the Floridian waters kinda style.) I can try and get some more pictures. He’s a weird little fish but by far one of my favorites... the stripes are typically light and when he goes dark he goes pitch black. I thought he was a midnight until I got him in a cooler and he pulled a chameleon on me.
If you can get him with his fins up, that will help a ton. Especially if it is a side shot.

But just for info, seaweed blennies can go from pure white to all red to black.

The fins are the big key when eye and mouth shape/distances are easy to see from a pic.

I know this will be hard, but if you can count fast while it is still count the spines.

From my notes for a seaweed blenny. If they are different, post the count and I can cross reference my notes.

Dorsall spines: 12; Dorsal soft rays: 18; Anal spines: 2; Anal soft rays: 19 - 20.

Back